Join our zoo community

North Carolina Zoo North Carolina Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 26 Sep 2008.

1. Astrotom3000

Astrotom3000 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I do not know if the trout were phased out, placed off-exhibit, or if they were moved elsewhere. I am planning to visit the NC Zoo again in the coming weeks, so I can tell you then unless someone else here has already visited the new exhibit. Keep in mind I am going off what the keeper told me and I do not recall even asking what happened to the trout.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have you heard anything about when/if the North Carolina Zoo is planning to build an Asia exhibit complex? This story from November 2017 mentions planning for an Asia area that would include tigers and Komodo dragons. Project updates focus of Zoo Council

It also mentions that the abandoned Africa Pavilion will be demolished this year.

3. Astrotom3000

Astrotom3000 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember one Zoo employee (either a Zoofari host or one of the gift shop employees) advising during my Oct 2017 visit that the zoo plans to open both the Asia and Australia exhibits between 2020-2024. One of the them could open either 2020 or 2022 (forgot the exact year they quoted) and the other would follow 2 years later.

I think the demolition of the African Pavilion (slated for this summer per the article) might be a starting point for the new exhibit complex, as I remember one of them saying the new complex would replace it.

There is no official press release for this yet as far as I am aware; all of this info I obtained from NC Zoo employees during a visit prior to the article above being written. While the article itself doesn't confirm anything different, there is always the possibility that something can change. This is last thing I heard about the Asia/Australia complex.

Speaking of which. It's about time they tore that thing down; it's been standing empty and closed for longer than 3 years (they kept it open until at least 2013 despite the complete lack of animals)! One of the Zoofari hosts did tell us that the reason they closed the pavilion and moved the animals out was because the humid conditions inside the pavilion ended up deteriorating the structure over time.

4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are CSar and Artie infertile or just unsuccessful in breeding?

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You talking what ... (just list the species or whatever and we all can interpret it more easily)?

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

C'sar and Artie are bull African Elephants.

Jaxton likes this.
  9. Jaxton

Sorry, but African Elephants like Wyman said.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. EsserWarrior

11. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That is going to be one lucky rhino calf. Several years ago the Watani grasslands exhibit was rather sparse, yet in recent years the hoofstock herds have expanded and it is great to see the rhino herd finally growing. Also it is interesting to see the zoo has 2 older rhinos off-exhibit. This makes sense though as behind the main exhibit their is a separate rhino barn with attached yards totaling about 1.8 acres, which is larger than most zoos main rhino exhibits.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. EsserWarrior

Linda and Stormy are the parents.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  14. Okapi Lover

Okapi Lover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know how old Linda is? I’m trying to figure out which rhino in the Studbook she is, but I’m having some trouble finding any other information on her online.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Jaxton

She is nearly 30 Years Old. Born at White Oak on November 9, 1988.

16. nczoofan

Visited the zoo and everyone from the visitors to docents were excited about the rhino calfs. The weather was relatively cool at 87 degrees today, compared to the 95 degree days that filled last week.

Notes from my visit today:
    • Both White Rhino calfs were shockingly on display. The zoo had been keeping Linda and her baby behind the scenes on their own, and that was their plan with Kit's baby as well. Yet Kit refused to move off exhibit and therefore the zoo decided to move Linda and her baby on exhibit as well. The other 3 rhinos in the herd are off exhibit and the zoo is currently observing the other females for signs of pregnancy. The 13 day old was alert and was interacting with the various antelope all morning, while the 1 day old calf mostly slept at its mothers feet. The rhinos are rarely recalled to their off exhibit area, so I imagine Kit simply felt more comfortable in the 40 acre habitat. As a result the zoo has closed to safari tour ride for a few days, to minimize disturbance.
    • C'sar the African Elephant, was mixed with all 4 females in the North Yard. Artie was alone in the South Yard.
    • A docent told me that the zoo has adopted a no touch policy for the majority of its mammals, meaning that they want as little interaction between keepers and animals as possible. This is evidenced by the zoo rarely pulling the white-rhino and elephant off exhibit.
    • White-headed buffalo weaver are now free-ranging the Desert. Their former exhibit is currently empty.
    • The zoo currently has (0,2) Red-river hog and anticipates bringing in more females in the near future.
    • The ringtail are no longer on exhibit, instead both large nocturnal displays are home to the zoos potential breeding pair of Sand Cat's.
    • Only 1 red wolf was on exhibit. Usually their are 2 in this exhibit.
    • The new Hellbender exhibit in Streamside is pretty large and is also home to 8 smaller native fish species. The exhibit is actually 2 tanks next to each other, although I could not observe a hellbender in either.
    [​IMG]
    • The Polar bears have been separated again, after a 3rd failed breeding season. The zoo does not think breeding even took place last year. The zoo has also removed most of the hotwire from the larger exhibit, as the plants have now matured.
    • The filtration system in the sea lion exhibit appears to be fixed, as the pool is finally clear. On previous visits it was pretty green.
    [​IMG]
    • 2 of the larger alligator exhibits, previously separated by a fence have now been combined.[​IMG]
    • The Alligator-snapping turtle exhibit with underwater viewing is current drained, with the animal moved to one of the smaller alligator exhibits.
    • The frogs of the world display in the alligator viewing shed in the Cypress Swamp has been replaced. In its place is an exhibit themed like a longleaf pine forest, showcasing the zoos head-starting of Carolina gopher frog (upper left) It also has Carolina pygmy rattlesnake (upper left), glass lizard and eastern tiger salamander (the bottom right burrows).
    [​IMG]
    • The other amphibian displays in the Cypress Swamp are now Mabee's salamander, Barking Tree Frog, and Pine Barren Treefrog (window was blocked off.
    • The waterfowl exhibit in the cypress swamp is currently vacant.
    • One funny piece of news. The zoo has renovated the cafe in the African entry village into "Billy D's Fried Chicken." This is totally authentic right :p
      [​IMG]
    • One last note: The state has begun construction on the zoo parkway extension that will connect the zoos main road right onto the highway. This is part of a project that will already bring the highway closer to the zoo, allowing visitors to bypass the traffic in Asheboro and the 5 mile residential road needed to reach the zoo.
    I hope to be back at the zoo in the next few weeks, as the rhinos hopefully start to venture closer to the viewing area. I also skipped the aviary and primate exhibits this time, as I spent 1.5 hours at the rhinos, and needed to head home to walk my dog.

17. nczoofan

Considering how bad the food was in 2014 upon my first visit, this is welcome news. The zoo has been renovating all of its cafes to carry different types of food, such as the new fried chicken place in the African plaza, which was actually pretty good and not crazy priced (like everything at this relatively cheap zoo).

Someone told me it's all happening at the zoo

Last edited: 15 Jul 2018
    StoppableSan likes this.
  18. joshgrossglaza

joshgrossglaza Well-Known Member

19. joshgrossglaza

joshgrossglaza Well-Known Member

Are they looking to breed C’Sar with the females, and with the two alligator exhibits combined, are the male/female pair on exhibit with the other females?

20. nczoofan

From my understanding the zoo would like to breed at least their youngest female. All 4 cows spend time with both of the bulls, so it could be a possibility. I believe the zoo does think C'Sar is less likely to be successful, just due to the way he was raised and his age getting up their. So Artie is the one they believe in more, although from what docents have told me, the zoo does have much confidence in either. The zoo would be happy to have either bull impregnate one or more of their calves. It has just not happened as of yet though.

The male female pair are still in the exhibit with the viewing shed, with the other females in what was previously 2 exhibits. Though fencing has been removed.

StoppableSan likes this.