Join our zoo community

North-west german zoo reccomendations

Discussion in 'Germany' started by komodoskar, 27 Apr 2024.

1. komodoskar

komodoskar Active Member

I'm going to Hannover and Hamburg next month, with the intention of seeing some friends and visiting some zoos. I have a couple days where I have nothing planned. I'm definitely going to visit Walsrode (maybe twice?) and potentially Magdeburg if its accessible enough by public transport. I've been to both Hannover's and Hamburg's zoos before (though not for 6-ish years), and wouldn't mind visiting again, but its not a must. Are there any zoos or rarities that would be worth visiting while I'm in the area? Hopefully, ones relatively accessible by trains and busses etc.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Magdeburg is very easily doable by public transport :)

Rayane and komodoskar like this.
  3. komodoskar

komodoskar Active Member

I've heard the collection at Magdeburg isn't what it used to be. In your opinion, is it worth sacrificing a second day at Walsrode to make the trip to Magdeburg?

4. komodoskar

komodoskar Active Member

Would anyone reccomend the zoos in Osnabrück, Münster or Rostock (the Darwineum in particular intrigues me)

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unless you want to photograph everything, a second day in Walsrode is usually not necessary. There is a lot to see, but it is a rather compact place, so a full day should do the trick.

Magdeburg still has some pull when it comes to species, Zootierliste should be accurate in that regard and enclosure wise there is a lot to see on making attractive budget enclosures (something UK zoos could learn a lot from ;)).

Osnabrück and Münster aren't high priority, both are average large German zoos (so pretty good overall), but unless you really want to see the underground zoo in Osnabrück or are a fan of 1970s architecture (Münster!), I would skip them.

Rostock is a different beast and it is a zoo that flies under the radar here. The Darwineum alone is worth the trip, but this is a solid zoo allround with plenty of large naturalistic enclosures. It is one of my favourite German zoos.

Other options would be to visit Rheine (+ Nordhorn) if you are into large naturalistic enclosures (but without rarities). Or alternatively you could do Vogelpark Niendorf and Zoo Schwerin in one day. Niendorf doesn't have the huge rarities anymore it used to have, but if you like birds it is a nice simple bird park. Schwerin is a solid 3 hour zoo with some good enclosures.

For a short trip and some N-American rarities there is the Arche-Noah Zoo in Braunschweig, which is a relatively short trip from Hannover.

komodoskar likes this.
  6. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rostock is one of 3 ZTL collections with Graell's tamarin

komodoskar likes this.
  7. komodoskar

komodoskar Active Member

Thank you so much for your recommendations. I like the idea of going to Niendorf especially, and as long as public transport holds out, Rostock should be a sure thing too

8. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Noone mentioning Hodenhagen? I’ve not been, but if I had a day to spare in the region surrounding Hannover I’d consider it?

Is it not worth it?

It’s been years since I’ve been to Osnabruck, but I really enjoyed it back then. There’s a reason the “underground zoo” made it into the top 100 exhibits.

Munster, I don’t know why but I wasn’t that impressed. Too much concrete, too little of interest to me anyway.

9. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hodenhagen is a drive-through safari and the person specifically mentioned using public transport.

Did you visit Münster before or after the Merantihalle opened, and would that perhaps make a difference?

10. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Before, and perhaps? To be honest, for some reason the Meranti-Halle got very little attention on this site and so it’s not been on my radar. I know far too little about it?

I really need to revisit both zoos again :rolleyes:

KevinB likes this.
  11. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am myself going to Germany later this month, and personally I will likely be going for Münster to finish the trip after my visit to Walsrode. I will try to remember to post about my visit and what I think of the zoo and the Merantihalle.

komodoskar likes this.
  12. komodoskar

komodoskar Active Member

Currently my itinerary is spending 3 days in Hannover with 2 days travelling out to Walsrode and Magdeburg. I'll then travel north to Humurg where I'll stay for 4 days with 2 days travelling out to Timmendrofer Strand and Rostock. There is still the possibility of visiting some other zoos but it'd need to be closer to Hamburg.