Join our zoo community

Northern junco in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by vogelcommando, 3 Feb 2015.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

2. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Junco hyemalis right? I have a whole flock of those that visit daily and refuse to leave the bird feeder during snowstorms. Well, below the bird feeder, they tend to eat what I and the Chickadees drop. However they do seem to be taking stuff out of my feeder this year, maybe because the snow is deeper than usual. They are smarter than a lot of other species in some ways, for example they can remember where I usually leave seed for them and they are willing to dig for seed in the snow if it is not too deep. They are even willing to hop along until they reach the tunnels I dig for them to get to the sheltered seed scattering places.

3. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member

Yes it is Junco hyemalis. It must be funny to see for American birders, as hundreds of Dutch birds try to see what is such a common bird for you ;). It is also the first twitchable junco in the NL....

4. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Yes, I have the best Junco view of any of us right now, there is a male right outside my window!

One of my professors was a professional wildlife photographer and he said that people from western North America get excited when they come here because they get to see Blue Jays.

5. vogelcommando

6. vogelcommando