Join our zoo community

Northern Luzon cloud rat

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Magick, 16 May 2019.

1. Magick

Magick Member

According to zootierliste the only places in the U.K. which have them are Chester, London battersea, wingham and Axminster.

Can anyone confirm if these are correct as I’ve seen posts from search on here that suggests some of these places don’t keep them anymore. Or do you know if any others which do?

I’ve just got a male (still can’t believe my luck) for my workplace in the north east and I’d love to find him a girlfriend Or even just visit enclosures for inspiration before we build his. Thanks all!

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not sure either way about Axminster, having never visited, but I'm fairly sure both Wingham and Battersea still hold the species - and Chester most certainly does still keep the species :)

I reckon the easiest to reach from your location will be the one at Chester - which is also the best of the three extant UK exhibits I have seen.

3. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you're interested in research on enclosures for the species, the most recent series of The Zoo (Bronx) features their efforts to keep and breed them and there is some interesting material about enclosures and management

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Congratulations on acquiring them, it's an amazing species and over the months I spent working with them, they became one of my favorite animals ever. I'm even writing a diploma thesis about them right now :D Hopefully they'll bring joy to you as well :)

TinoPup likes this.
  5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You should contact Pavel Brandl, small mammals curator at Prague zoo. He runs the breeding book of cloud rats for European zoos. He can advice with husbandry issues and he can definitely help in sourcing a gf for your boy.

You can make a long weekend here in Czechia too, visiting one/two zoos that breed this species over several generations (Prague, Jihlava, Ostrava...), air tickets are cheap with the likes of Ryanair/Easyjet and low local prices in CZ wont make you bancrupt.

6. Tomek

Tomek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No more at Axminster… I was there last month and I was asking few keepers about this species to.

7. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How did you acquire one?:eek: What/where is your workplace? Kudos to you!