Join our zoo community

Not receiving notifications

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by ThylacineAlive, 15 Dec 2018.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

{Note from mods - posts in this thread split from here: Thread of the Year 2018: Submissions}

Another shout-out to ZooChat for once again not sending me notifications for a thread that I'm subscribed to...

~Thylo

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Dec 2018
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

My first action when I come on the forum is to just click on Alerts (top right) and that should give you all the new posts for threads you have posted in yourself, replies to your comments/photos in the gallery, and also any likes you've been given.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

Yeah I always check there but when I randomly stop getting email notifications for a thread I generally also don't get alerts for some reason. I only realized this thread had been active because Pachy directly tagged me in his warning post yesterday, something I did get an alert for. When I checked my status for this thread the only option is "Unwatch Thread" implying that I am watching it and should be getting notifications.

This started when the forum was moved over to the new server and everything was redesigned. It doesn't happen very often anymore and also isn't a major problem it's just annoying, especially when I missed pages of content from my own threads.

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Certain threads that I'm watching don't give me alerts either, including The Big Year Thread. I know I'm watching it because it has an eye next to it on the forum page! :confused:

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've been having the exact same problem.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

The number one thing that catches people out is that when there is a new post in a thread you are watching, you will only receive a single notification/alert about it until you have actually visited the thread on the site.

Because you can generally read replies via email - some people won't bother clicking through to the site and thus the system never sends you any more notifications or alerts because it doesn't know you have read it.

The main reason for this is to stop a flood of annoying notification emails in any active thread. Also, if you receive a high volume of alerts, the alert system kind of becomes useless - simply too much information to manage.

I will note that the default behaviour of the forum software is to only send you an excerpt from the new post in the email notifications - not the full content, thus you would be forced to click through and visit - which would avoid some of these issues.

I decided to enable the "send full post content in notifications" option because I figured that was more useful - but the downside is that it can catch people out where they never receive further notifications because they read the reply in the email, not on the site.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  7. ThylacineAlive

@Simon Hampel But the thing is I still always open the link to the forum when I get an email notification because I know they don't send further notifications :p Even if I didn't it can't simply be continued coincidence that when I don't get an email notification I almost always also don't get a forum alert.

As I said before it's not a massive problem, and not one I'd ask you to take time out of your undoubtedly busy schedule to look into, it's just an inconvenience that strikes from time to time. The only time it really bothered me is when I stopped getting notifications for one of my challenge threads and I missed several pages where people were directly asking me to solve an issue.

~Thylo

MRJ likes this.
  8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've noticed that if a thread is split then you won't be notified of any new posts even when you've already commented or are subscribed previous to the split. And ironically this is one of those threads! :p

9. Simon Hampel

FWIW, there are quite a few changes in the new version of the forum software - so it is largely going to be best to wait and see if things improve after we upgrade.

I'm going to have much more scope for investigating issues with the new software.

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  10. birdsandbats

This problem has been getting significantly worse for me lately - I find that more of threads I've been following have been updated through the "New Posts" than the alerts! I never look at my email notifications, so that can't be causing any issues.

11. Simon Hampel

You should receive an alert about this post because I replied to and quoted your post.

12. Simon Hampel

@birdsandbats you should receive an alert about this post because I tagged you in it.

13. Simon Hampel

I checked the database and the alerts I just generated above are definitely in the system.

If there's a specific thread you didn't receive an alert about and feel you should have - I could look deeper, but in my experience it is more likely that the system simply didn't generate an alert because it didn't meet the criteria as I explained in an earlier post in this thread.

14. birdsandbats

I did not receive alerts for any of these posts. I only realized you posted here because I found this through the "new posts" page.

15. Simon Hampel

You should be seeing a count of unread alerts here:

upload_2022-4-1_8-25-7.png

... and you should see a list of your recent alerts here: https://www.zoochat.com/community/account/alerts

If you're not seeing the red alert number show up, then there's something wrong at your end.

16. birdsandbats

It's at my end, then. No idea what it could be though.

17. Simon Hampel

Do you use an ad blocker? Try turning it off and see if it works then.

18. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm having some issues with this as well, but a bit more erratically. Occasionally a thread or two I'm subscribed to will randomly stop generating alerts and emails after awhile even though people are still posting, then suddenly I start getting both alerts and emails again. Usually happens to threads that are more erratic in receiving regular posts, such as the Miniature Animal Figure Collection and the Big Year threads later on in the year when posting is less often. I just noticed it again with German Zoo Worlds Encyclopedia of Zoo Animals, I randomly started getting alerts again after I hadn't gotten any for a little while, yet he's still been updating the thread. I'm not aware of anything I'm doing that might be causing this.

19. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

I’ve had the same problem for a long time, I stop getting notifications from threads after a while, if I post in them or unwatch and watch them, it can sometimes fix the issue.

20. ThylacineAlive

Glad to know I'm not the only one! Most annoying when it's your own thread it's happening to :p

~Thylo

Great Argus likes this.