Join our zoo community

Newquay Zoo Newquay Zoo News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by redpanda, 27 Oct 2009.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

That certainly appeared the case during my visit on 29/01/2013.

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But no explanation is given as to why this calf is being handraised after (presumably) the previous mother-raised calves.:confused: Or is this the calf of a father/daughter mating?

5. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Went to the zoo on Thursday, my first visit to the collection.

No sign of the hand reared gnu. I only saw two adult gnus and one was being kept on the hard standing all day. Also didn't see the Waterbuck, have they left the collection?

Do the crowned lemurs have an off show outdoor enclosure? I saw one for a second in the inside quarters and then it disappeared, I assume there is a outdoor enclosure somewhere? I did have a look around for it.

Overall a nice collection although the Fossa, Penguin and Macaque enclosures could all do with refurbishing or rebuilding from scratch. I know the macaque and fossa enclosures are quite old.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I have put some photos in the gallery.

6. TeaLovingDave

The crowned lemurs share an outdoor enclosure with the narrow-striped boky :) when I visited they were constantly active both indoors and outdoors.

7. JamesB

Oh really? I wonder if that has changed because there wern't any ropes or climbing features in that enclosure. Was there any when you went?

8. TeaLovingDave

There's loads of trees and logs in there, at least there was when I visited.

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1.0 Grants Zebra arrived yesterday (new breeding male)

10. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited the zoo during July - first time in 15 years. Didn't write a review then, but I'll add some observations - particularly looking at it as a visitor with a child.

Firstly can confirm Crowned lemurs are mixed with Narrow-striped mongoose. Also one waterbuck at the African exhibit, although was being kept seperately on hardstanding.

Highlights/Lowlights:
    Tropical house still stands test of time. Birds very active and easy to see. Only criticisms are that some tanks are difficult to view if you are a child.

Otters look good in Oriental garden stream, but I would prefer to see some more access to living vegetation - though otters being otters...

Madagascan themed area was really nice - noisy vasa parrots mixed with partridge and love birds. Disappointing not to see the lemurs and mongoose however.

Farm animals - looks poorly set out and cramped. Saw my first hanging parakeets, however.

Macaque group look good (several babies) despite being in the ages-old bear pit.

Zoo has got it's head screwed on right with the placing and number of children play areas. The assult course in the woodland is very good.

Unfortunately Owston's civets are not likely to be seen by casual visitors.

Many aviaries were too vegetated, an unusual criticism as usually they tend to be too bare. Alot of difficulty viewing some exhibits.

Too many examples of dated exhibits: large primates, lions, fossa. Some of these could be revamped while leaving the main infrastructure in place, others would mean completely starting again.

Saw a number of species for first time: cusimanse, vislayan pigs, pied tamarin, hanging parrots, and a few others that one rarely sees: nyala, white-tailed wildebeest, vasa parrots.

Overall I really rate Newquay. Comparable to Bristol in size, alot of features and range of species as well as areas were they need to improve.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Visitor Numbers

For the 12 months up to the end of October 2013, Newquay had 156,500 visitors, just 1% down on the previous year.

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From my last Newquay visit I remember thinking the Tropical House was a very well set-out display for watching the birds.

The range of Monkey cages needs enlarging and completely re-organising IMO- they could keep the indoor areas but renovate and modernise the cramped outsides. The old Bear pit works for the Macaques but is outdated. The Children's farm area is very poor as is the Lion enclosure.

I like some of the other exhibits including the Philippine Deer/Warty Pig area, but I don't much like the 'African Plains' exhibit- it looks like a run- down pony paddock and needs some sort of landscaping.

But overall and for its size, it is a species rich little Zoo and well worth a visit.

13. Nisha

New for 2014: Quote from the zoos facebook

If you've visited the Zoo lately you may of noticed lots of building work around the site - Winter is a busy time here at the Zoo with all sorts of construction projects underway!

Zoo keepers are especially thrilled that work has started on a fantastic new aviary for our Scarlet macaws (Ara macao), and other South American bird species, which is due to open in Summer 2014. The official name will be the ‘Scarlet Macaw Flight Aviary’, and it has been designed to enable the birds to fly within the enclosure.

We also have a new African Hut - fully enclosed with insulation, and integral to the aviary, so the birds can be viewed through full length windows. The hut will be used mainly for education sessions and events, but can also be hired as a venue, subject to availability – watch this space!

Behind the scenes, the hub of the zoo is the food preparation area. The old facility has now been demolished, and construction work has just started on a brand new food room, which will be completed in 2014.

14. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could do with improving their marketing of the new aviary...

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Nisha

17. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any photo's of the new walk-through aviary yet? (is it even operational yet?)

Much obliged

18. Nisha

19. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

Assuming they took on the Marwell pair, does anyone know how many black wildebeest Newquay now hold, and in how many groups/pairs? I believe they may still have some calves from previous years, although I think two(?) may have become the original pair at the Lake District. Did the hand-reared calf integrate with any of their pairings/groups.

20. JamesB

Last summer I saw two which were separated, both adults. I'm sure someone else can give you a more up to date answer.