Join our zoo community

Newquay Zoo Newquay Zoo News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by redpanda, 27 Oct 2009.

1. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

I believe the Newquay's original pair produced four(?) surviving offspring, the last of which was hand-reared. I believe the first two of these were sent to Trotter's, where one died and was replaced by the Marwell calf.

AFAIK, Marwell's pair may have gone to Newquay this year and, assuming their own breeding pair are still alive, Newquay could potentially now hold the Marwell pair, its own breeding pair + an adult calf, as well as the last hand-reared calf, assuming they are all still alive and none have been sent abroad. However, for Newquay to maintain six animals in potentially three different groups alongside zebra and antelope is unlikely, so I'm interested to know what the composition is.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the initial pair at Trotters were one each from Marwell and Newquay, rather than two from Newquay. One of these died and was replaced by one from ? (I think probably Marwell)

Pretty sure Mawell's ex pair are at Newquay now.

Would also be interested to know how many they have currently.

3. Communityzoo

I had thought Marwell's pair only produced one calf, but hadn't realised this had been the original female at LDWP. I'm aware the first Newquay calf DNS, and that the second went to LDWP.

It seems likely then that one of the subsequent (perhaps third, 2011-born?) Newquay calves was sent to LDWP to replace the one that had died. Whether the LDWP animals are siblings would depend on whether the individual that died was Marwell-born or Newquay-born, although I think the 2011 calf was a female.

I thought there was a 2012 calf (I'm unsure of its sex), which might remain with the group? There was a hand-reared calf (Poppy) last June, but I have seen video supposedly from August of that year of a slightly bigger calf integrated back into the herd, so perhaps it was only removed temporarily.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2014
  4. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes Marwell only had 1 female young who was sent to Trotters,thats all and the pair were then sent back to Newquay.

5. Pertinax

If only one came from Marwell because only one was born there, the replacement must have come from Newquay. But I don't know if it was the(original) Newquay or the Marwell animal that died at LDWP so your question remains unsolved..

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Excellent news :D

8. Communityzoo

Given they already work with yellow-breasted capuchins, I do question the rationale importing these animals. Is it just that this is an ESB species? Assuming they have gone into the monkey row, does anyone know what these have replaced? I think Newquay has some of the best enclosures for its callitrichids, its just a shame they haven't so far created anything on a larger scale for the occupants of the monkey row. Perhaps there's an acknowledgement somewhere that capuchins are about the largest species they feel are suitable for the existing accommodation. If that was a factor in their acquisition, I think that would be a shame, as capuchins seem to do well in open enclosures with natural trees and vegetation, something harder to achieve with folivorous species and, to some extent, macaques. I hope there are plans in the pipeline to do something of this nature with there remaining caged monkey species.

9. Pertinax

I believe there may still be one or two(? female) Diana Monkeys housed there unless the last one(s) has gone. I once saw six Dianas together in one of those cages. They also housed 1.1 Sooty Mangabey, and more recently these were replaced with 1.2. Red-capped Mangabey which were later transferred to more spacious accomodation at Paignton, perhaps because they realise the caging wasn't adequate for them. I think this row of cages is really only suitable for smaller species like Capuchins or Squirrel Monkeys, and looks quite antiquated nowadays.

10. garethdavies26

garethdavies26 New Member

I visited the zoo last week and can confirm that the White-Throated Capuchins have replaced the Diana Monkeys. One individual was locked in and the other locked out.

11. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The 2013 Annual Report shows 2.3 Black wildebeest at the end of the year with 2 arriving ( Marwell ) and 1 departing . It confirms the 2 female Diana monkey left the collection but does not say where they went .

12. Pertinax

I'm pleased the Dianas have left- they hadn't done anything with them for years. I believe they did get a new male from PL a few years ago but it was quickly killed by the female(s) They are just as likely to have been sent to Europe as stay in the UK though.

We really need a recent studbook to work out the Diana Monkey situation but apparently there isn't one since 2000- a new one is in the pipeline.

13. Nisha

14. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

For many years now, Newquay have kept just a pair of lions, replacing each one as it has died. They have mostly been Safari Park animals, which, for whatever reason, have been surplus to requirements elsewhere.

While I am positive they have had a decent life in Cornwall, and certainly they have been well cared for, keeping African lions in a pair, in a relatively small enclosure, simply isn't what a zoo as wonderful as this should be about. I would love it if they took the decision to move out of lions, using the emclosure for something else instead (with a bit of conversion, it would possibly make a far better home for the zoo's fossas than the cage they currently occupy – which, once upon a time, was a lion enclosure too).

15. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On a trip to the West Country last weekend I noted the absence of Diana Monkeys at both Exmoor and Newquay (my first visit to both collections since 2009), but there were at least three animals at Paignton.

Four wildebeest were out in the paddock together at Newquay, but no sign of a fifth. Also, it seems that they non longer keep waterbuck.

16. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There's just one elderly male Fos(s)a at the zoo now - he will live out his days in the old enclosure and it will then be redeveloped (i.e. demolished).

The next project at the zoo will be a "Gems of the Jungle" walkthrough aviary for Southeast Asian species on the site of the old cat enclosures (currently used for Lilacine Amazons) next to the deer and pig stables.

17. Nisha

A female Black Wildebeest was also born this morning according to the parks Facebook

18. Pertinax

Its been confirmed on here recently that they have gone from both places- probably all to Europe. There are 1.2 currently at Paignton- mother, daughter and new unrelated male.

There may be a total of five(?) Wildebeest at Newquay now as its been reported above they have just had another calf.

19. Nisha

20. Nisha