Join our zoo community

Newquay Zoo Newquay Zoo News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by redpanda, 27 Oct 2009.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I reckon the cage - suitably planted - would be a rather nice home for something along the lines of a golden cat, puma or cloudie.

2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

It is an annoying habit which some zoos seem to practice, in fact I think Newquay did the same once before when they took a male lion from Longleat some years ago. I personally think it is a ridiculous habit, there is absolutely no need to change an animals name. So what if they don`t like the name, or it does not "fit in" with their views.

For many reasons it is good to keep the same name - for a start, animals get used to their name, secondly and importantly, if an animal is studbook registered it is crucial that everyone knows which animal is which, name changes just lead to confusion.

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

My knowledge of the place is rather dated, but nonetheless the lion house is a solid enough structure (if architecturally unremarkable) and the attached cage is a decent size. I just don't like seeing lions kept in pairs, purely as a 'show' - particularly not in a zoo which now has serious credentials.

Yes, I would think that, suitably adapted, this would make an excellent cage for a small cat species (the zoo already has a beautifully-done fishing cat exhibit), or another medium-sized carnivore (jackals would be nice!).

Or, roofed over, it could be a half-decent primate enclosure.

Just not ex safari park lions!

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I suspect the reason a smallish zoo like Newquay with an increasingly diverse collection continues with Lions like this is as a draw for the summer visitors with children, who expect/are drawn to see 'big cats' rather than something smaller.

From memory they do look a bit 'big' for the enclosure though its far superior to the ridiculously tiny one they used to live in. If they were to replace them I think another medium-sized cat might be the order of the day. Leopards perhaps, as more in keeping with the general scale of the place?

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think sooty mangabey has made an important point, the enclosure would need a roof for any species that needs to climb, which would include leopards. If they have money to spend, the lion and lynx enclosures could be combined and modified for a pair of leopards. If not, servals might be a possibility, and I doubt if they would need a roof.

Alan

6. Pertinax

It goes without saying they would need a roof for Leopards, at least for the enclosure as it is. I remember seeing Pumas in where I think the Lynx are now, too.

7. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Concur with comments regarding changing the name. I could understand if the name was poor or possibly if Dartmoor have another animal with the same name.

Equally odd is that Newquay are bringing in a related individual to the female lion that they already have. One would hope that they will be prevented from breeding.

If not lions in that particular exhibit then snow leopard would work well. Might be wrong (not overly familiar with the fencing) but wouldn't have thought that NZ would have to net over the exhibit then.

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

0.1 Philippine Spotted Deer born

9. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

From their facebook....

We are pleased to announce the arrival of two new lions to keep Amahle our female lioness company.
    The new lions aren’t just any lions they are Amahle’s brother and sister, Boss and Semira. They arrived last week and have been settling in well. Amahle was delighted to see them and hasn’t left her sister’s side since.
    This is the first time we have ever homed three lions but the decision was made after consultation with Longleat that it would be best to bring the family group back together as the cats would be much happier. They are now extremely happy and a well bonded pride.
    It was an emotional moment for all involved reuniting the family.

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. BearCat

BearCat Well-Known Member

The first in a Zoological collection as they were first successfully bred in the UK by a private breeder in early 2012, resulting in three hatchlings.:)

12. Nisha

A female Grants Zebra was born this morning - more surprisingly the first ever Zebra born at Newquay!

13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That has shocked me, I'm sure Newquay have held zebras for many years and they aren't exactly difficult to breed! :p

14. Pertinax

For many years in the past Newquay had either two, or a single Chapman/Damara-type female which shared a paddock with Red Lechwe (the paddock the Phillipine Deer now have) Only after they opened the 'Savanah-type' larger field did they get a both-sex Zebra group, though they've had them for quite some time now, presumably without breeding.

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2 Lilacine amazon hatched.

16. Nisha

0.0.2 Owston's Palm Civets have been born - these are the first offspring of the new breeding male who was imported from Vietnam

17. Nisha

Sadly the Zebra foal mentioned earlier in the thread has died: Statement from Facebook

Sadly our Baby zebra (Megan) born 7 weeks ago has died of natural causes.
    She started to show signs of deterioration on Tuesday afternoon but despite the best efforts of the keeping team and the veterinary team she was unable to be saved.
    We are absolutely devastated and had all become very fond of this animal, she will be missed by staff, volunteers and visitors.

18. Nisha

A male Grey Slender Loris has arrived and is now onshow

19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The latest issue of Zoo News mentions the birth of a Chapman's zebra foal, named Graham, that is doing well. Also the birth of a female Crowned Lemur. A new Gems of the Jungle exhibit, for endangered South East Asian songbirds, will open next Autumn.