Join our zoo community

Number 1 one favourite animal and best zoo exhibit featuring it

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Komodo99, 25 Jun 2017.

1. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone.This thread is to discuss your favourite animal and the best enclosure you have ever seen it in.Please state a reason for choosing said animal and exhibit.

My number favourite animal is the Komodo Dragon as I am a huge fan of reptiles and Komodo dragons are a stand out species for me as they are very prehistoric in appearance,are very adaptable to their environment,are ferocious but friendly and are all around just amazing animals to look at because when you look at one you can understand the true history and power of the animal.

The best exhibit I have seen that exhibits Komodo's is Dragons in Danger at Chester Zoo.The male dragon Jantan has a large enclosure to walk around,a pool,large rocks to bask on which he can be caught sleeping on them from time to time,shaded areas and plenty of sensory enrichment from the keepers.There is also an outdoor enclosure for the dragons which is inhabited by a smaller dragon called Mezcal who is approximately four foot long and used to have anxiety but has overcome it.The outdoor exhibit has plenty of shade for the dragons and more rocks to bask on.

Let's see what everyone thinks.

2. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For some reason, I love hippos, (common and pygmy) and I think they are the coolest animals, I could spend all day watching them.
    The best exhibit for the Nile hippo is either Dallas or Cincinnati.
    San Diego zoo has the best Pygmy hippo exhibit

3. drill

drill Well-Known Member

My favourite i've never seen in captivity and it's the quetzal.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

but isn't this also the only exhibit you've ever seen for Komodo dragons? That's not much of a sample size.

5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My favourite animal is of course the aardvark(which you can know by my name),for its strange appearance and the ant-eating behaviour(generally I like insectivores,such as anteaters and pangolins).I've only seen aardvark in one exhibit in Ueno,as aardvark is quite rare here in asia(are there any other zoo in asia except japan zoos hold them?),so I can't say what is the best exhibit.

6. Chlidonias

you may or may not have forgotten about this thread: Any aardvarks in Asia?

Probably only Japanese zoos have them.

7. Komodo99

At the moment,yes this the only exhibit I have observed for Komodo dragons but I am hoping to visit other collections in the future.

8. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

And you have seen other exhibits on the internet but you thought none of them were better than Chester's ;)

9. Komodo99

I do like Taronga,Atlanta Zoo and San Diego's Komodo exhibits but I would have to put together a ranking system.

10. aardvark250

I have found that beijing have aardvark in a short time,according to Baidu.Is that the case?I really can't found any evidence of that.

11. Chlidonias

what did it say? There are several sites which say that Beijing had an aardvark previously (1970s?) amongst animals brought from Africa.

12. aardvark250

According to this post(chinese though),in 1976,an aardvark died after three months because of the problem of feeding.Also I found someone name "baboon".Is that the zoochat baboon?

13. Chlidonias

yes that would be the same aardvark mentioned elsewhere (including on the Wikipedia page for Beijing Zoo). And I think the member on that page is most likely to be the same @baboon as on Zoochat.

14. aardvark250

Yes,I found the same photo of zoo in both zoochat and there afterwards.

15. Water Dragon

My favourite animals are crocodilians but I am not sure what my favourite exhibit is for them, that I have seen. The Chester False Gharial exhibit is alright but the viewing areas are terrible. I would like to visit Crocodiles of the World so I will be able to get a new favourite there.

16. Komodo99

What about the spectacled caimans?

17. Water Dragon

Their enclosure is rather small, and has just got smaller. Plus it isn't really a 'spectacular' exhibit in my eyes.

18. Komodo99

The best enclosures for crocodilians that i have personally seen would have to be at the Australian Reptile Park. The alligators and saltwater crocs have deep outdoor exhibits which allow them to act similar to their wild counterparts and allows them to take advantage of the brilliant weather.

19. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My favorite animal is the gibbon. I haven't been able to visit many places but to me, Denver Zoo's white-cheeked gibbon exhibit in Toyota Elephant Passage is my favorite.

20. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes it is me :p @aardvark250 And it is said that the aardvark was dead even before on exhibit.