Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo Project NWCP to open in July as......

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 20 Feb 2013.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wild place!
    With no investors coming forward, Bristol zoo is opening up a new wildlife attraction on the Cribbs causeway site, south of Bristol.
    The plan now is to start with a smaller version of the scheme and then slowly build up the size of the attraction as visitor numbers and the profile of the park grow.
    The early version will include a Madagascar experience, complete with lemurs and a replica of the East African Savannah, with zebra and eland.
    There will also be a visitor centre and cafe, along with a play centre and woodland walks in the countryside around the centre.

Bristol Zoo's new wildlife park will open in July - despite lack of funding | This is Bristol

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not quite the same as was planned... But at least it's a start! :)

And on another note, my 1,000th post! :)

3. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

I presume this is because they need to start building before the planning permission runs out. Once they've "started" the project they can take as long as they like to complete it.

Bit of a gamble though, hope it works out!

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Be interesting to see how this progresses....

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the tradition of launches, may I be the first to say 'God bless her and all who sail in her'. :)

Alan

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It says they already successfully overcame an attempt by Almondsbury Council to have their license revoked on the grounds that no animals had been kept there for 40 years, so as you say, I guess that is very much one reason for starting a development of some sort now.

I'm pleased to hear its finally starting, even if only on a much smaller scale initially. But it is a start.:)

7. Clouded Leopard

Clouded Leopard Well-Known Member

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is time to come in from the cold ...! Talking about it for yonker years and at last building work has started. It is a better way of moving forward cause once it is physically a building site it becomes a better prospect for potential investors. I do hope at the first instance they include large animals like giraffe, hippo, lion and the like. It will pull in the punters. I assume the location is good for any travelers .. :D

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

11. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Very reasonable admission prices, £6.50 adults, £6.00 children, hope it takes off.

12. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Reasonable prices yes, however the species list on the website (though I'm not sure if this is an exhaustive list) is extremely limited:

In 'Madagascar' - Mongoose lemur, red-bellied lemur, ringtailed lemur, guinea fowl and African pygmy goats

In 'East Africa' - Zebra and eland

In 'Secret Congo' - Okapi

I am interested to see how the park will progress, will they do it in stages where maybe 4 or so species are introduced at a time, large phases where whole new sections of the park are created or will they constantly develop with the addition of new species as and when money comes in...

13. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks an interesting start, would love to give this a visit sometime, its not real enroute to Newquay is it? That's where I'm headed in August.

14. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I couldn't imagine this place without having Okapi. The Hollywood Tower estate is a very important location in okapi captivity history.

15. Pertinax

I don't think any of those species you mention are scheduled for their future developments though 'large animals' are certainly on the menu. Its mentioned on here which species they are starting with. Others will obviously follow but from previous plans I don't think any of the above will be included.

Hollywood Estate is located literally just a few yards off the M5 Motorway, very easy to access particularly if coming from outside the city.

16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think there is going to be a real competition in Bristol.
    I filled up with petrol at Cribbs Causeway last week and saw a hoarding with a large illustration of 2 African elephants, announcing their forthcoming arrival at Noah's Ark (but I didn't see an actual date). I guess the one which actually gets their exhibit open to the public first will get more publicity and have an advantage.

Alan

17. Pertinax

yep, I think I mentioned this scenario a couple of years back, and now it seems to be happening! Both Noah's and 'WildPlace' are easily accessible from the Motorway and Noah's is easy to get to over the Suspension Bridge too.

Bristol children will be spoilt for choice! A zoo and two 'wildlife parks'. When Noah's get their elephants I think they may have the upper hand, at least till Bristol's new park is better established.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know the selection of species targeted. Yet since the ill-famous N.Ark is near it would be a good thing.

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have to agree on your theory of bringing in some of the larger mammals Bristol cant hold, at least to get the place off the ground. The original plans have to be compromised a bit, they have been already. What they need is people through the gates.

20. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Surely a couple of giraffe and white rhino would be easy to obtain. There's no shortage of African lions in the UK and possibly hunting dogs as well?
    I'm in agreement with pipaluk and KB, they need to have something to rival Noah's.