Join our zoo community

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? - June 2021 Photo Puzzle

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by ZooBinh, 4 Jun 2021.

1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With permission from the bright-minded @gentle lemur , I have prepared for everyone a new puzzle for this month of June (thinking about it, maybe July would have been a more appropriate time, given the setting of the play quoted :p).

20 images on this puzzle, hopefully they are good enough to easily identify most. There may be 1 or 2 that may stump you, so I may be willing to throw out some clues in DMs ;).

There are three (possibly 4) things you must look out for:

• 2 patterns throughout the image, it is up to you to figure what they are, of course. You may need to figure out most species to find the patterns, and fill in the missing species using the patterns.
    • 2 odd ones out, but only one that you would be able to figure out, but if you want to guess the other one, be my guest ;). Which one/s is/are it/they and why is/are it/they so?
    You need to find at least 2 of the 4 to complete the challenge, but the first person to figure out all 3 (or 4) will be the 'winner' of the challenge.

Now, for the most part common names will be used, and if you get stuck, try and switch around with synonymous names ;).

Please give your best guesses to me in private messaging, and you all may post publicly your answers and what not at 12:00AM EST, June 10, 2021.

Oh, and one last thing, it's in the name of the game.

TZDugong and Strix like this.
  2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It was, of course, quite unnecessary to ask for my permission: but thank you for your courtesy :)

ZooBinh likes this.
  3. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Since it is now no longer June, I would like to state that @aardvark250 has won the challenge.

Answers are as follows:

1 - Rock Hyrax
    2 - Ornate Monitor
    3 - Madagascar Giant Day Gecko
    4 - East African Crowned Crane
    5 - Okapi
    6 - Red Panda
    7 - Oriental Small-Clawed Otter
    8 - Mangrove Snake
    9 - Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus)
    10 - Ocellaris Clownfish
    11- Reindeer
    12 - Osprey
    13 - Mayan Cichlid
    14 - Eastern Screech Owl
    15 - Oyster Toadfish
    16 - Red-Legged Seriema
    17 - Ornate Hawk Eagle
    18 - Mata Mata
    19 - Emerald Tree Boa
    20 - Orinoco River Dolphin

Pattern 1 : The first letter of each animal corresponds with a letter in the name "Romeo", which repeats 4 times if you go from left to right.
    Pattern 2 : Each cycle of the name follows a geographic similarity, of the four continents Africa, Asia, North America, and South America.

Odd One Out 1 : This should be the easier one, but if you notice, picture 9 shows an Asian Elephant, and in the position in which the name needs to start with the letter E. In this case, the scientific starts with E.
    Odd One Out 2 : The harder one, yet some still got, I took every picture taken here except for 20, which was taken by @ThylacineAlive, posted here with his position.

Thank you everyone for participating :).

gentle lemur likes this.