Join our zoo community

Oakland Zoo Oakland Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 2 Jan 2019.

1. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According To the zoos Instagram story the warthog exhibit has received major renovations

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On September 19 (2019) Fishing Cat Conservancy will do a presentation at the zoo from 6:30-9pm. Tickets range from ten to thirty dollars. (This is a great organization and I encourage everyone in the area to attend).

3. John Marchwick

4. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For all the frequent Oakland Zoo visitors on here, I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me. I know Oakland Zoo has seven chimpanzees - at least from what I have found online - but I can only find information on two of them. Bernie and Eddie are two chimp brothers who had been the stars of the zoo until 2016 or so when five new chimpanzees moved to Oakland. Moses is the name of the male, but I cannot find any other information besides his name. Amy is one of the four females, but I cannot find anything else on her or the other three females. Any help is appreciated!

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On the evening of October 15, Dr Laurie Marker of Cheetah Conservation Fund (Namibia) will give a presentation. Tickets range from ten to thirty dollars. I have heard her speak on several occasions and I can personally attest her presentation is outstanding.

(Coincidentally I am landing in San Jose that same afternoon but I will probably not make the presentation).

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

Not news, but I visited this zoo for the first time in many years weeks ago, and I was definitely impressed by the new California Trail expansion. The habitats were fantastic; I loved the usage of existing terrain and vegetation, especially in the condor, eagle, and uphill wolf habitats. It was great watching grizzly bears wrestle each other for a long time in their pool. I love the attention to detail in the play area.

My main issue would be the lack of exhibits for smaller native species. Every species on exhibit was either a large carnivoran or bird of prey or a megafaunal herbivore in the case of the bison. I thought it was nice that there was a sign for native birds to keep an eye out for, but California is a biodiversity hotspot with many reptiles, amphibians, small mammals, invertebrates, fish, plants, and even some birds that are unique to its landscapes. Many of these are threatened or of conservation concern. Some examples of the smaller faunal components unique to the state and its periphery would have been nice.

Also, I enjoyed the Children's Zoo a lot (the black tree monitors were very active), and the vegetation had grown nicely into the old griffin vulture (and before that hamadryas baboon) exhibit, which was now a Neotropical aviary.

It also looks like they are building a new habitat for some sort of bird or medium-sized or small animal in one of the old concrete grottos in the "Rainforests" area. Any idea on what this might be? Whatever it is, it looks like the new cage has some height to it, so it probably will use trees.

7. John Marchwick

8. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

Do you know what kind of birds are in the Neotropical aviary?

9. John Marchwick

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Insurance job and damages.

12. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

14. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers to keepers and all who loved her.

15. John Marchwick

The zoo has rescued two more mountain lions. A male and a female. The female passed away last night and the male will stay at the zoo and will eventually transfer to the El Paso Zoo

16. John Marchwick

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

18. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

That’s the worst news I’ve heard in a while. Her and her elephant family were my first exposure to elephants and were my personal favorites at the zoo. RIP M’Dunda, thank you for educating the many who came to the zoo.

Elephantelephant and Anniella like this.
  19. TheEthiopianWolf03

If you mean the aviary near the chimpanzee exhibit there is a pair of great curassows, 3-4 blue and gold macaws, a military macaw, and a pair of red rumped agoutis.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  20. TheEthiopianWolf03

I also agree that there is a huge lack of the little guys in the Californian Trail exhibit. You'd think at least there would be a small exhibit for western pond turtles and Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frogs. What other species would you propose?

About the grotto, I asked the zoo about this today and they responded saying that the exhibit was recently renovated to be an enclosed aviary with great curassows but then they say "Cuckoo's" are coming soon. I'm going to assume that Cuckoos was a typo and that they meant curassow but if that is the case then what is the point of getting new birds and having a new exhibit when they already have a pair of great curassows and a relatively young exhibit for them? Anyone who understands zoo planning can you help me understand why they would do this? I asked them this with my follow up question but I am going to assume that they won't respond for a while. Until then, Merry Chrismas.

TheEthiopianWolf03