Join our zoo community

Observance of social distancing and Covid-19 safety measures at zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by KevinB, 23 Jun 2020.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The intention of this thread is to discuss the (lack of) observance of social distancing and Covid-19 safety measures at zoos, and the potential consequences of that for zoos and zoo visitors.

I have visited now three different zoos here in Flanders/Belgium after they reopened, and one of those I visited twice. At two of those zoos (Antwerp and Planckendael) the observance of social distancing and safety measures was far from perfect, but the violators were still a minority of all visitors and a somewhat limited annoyance. However at the third zoo I visited, Pakawi Park, it was a total disaster and social distancing and safety measures were ignored on a massive scale, by the vast majority of visitors, resulting in a very negative experience for me.

I have been asking around a little on a Dutch zoo enthusiast Facebook page, and from what I have read there and at other Dutch sources such as the Laafsekikkers, it seems that lack of observance of the rules is a general problem at most zoos.

From what I have read especially on weekend days zoos can be worryingly busy (despite visitor limits) with lots of people violating the rules, making it very hard for those who do want to follow the rules to do so. Week days are apparently less busy (although that may change as we head into the summer holidays) but most of us do not regularly have the opportunity to go to the zoo on week days.

Most zoos are from what I gather doing their very best to implement safety measures and to remind people of the rules they have to follow, but ultimately they depend on people having the decency, respect and common sense to actually follow those rules - and way too many people just don't have any of that and don't (want to) realize how important it is to continue following the rules, as this crisis is far from over and Covid-19 is absolutely not gone. There is only so much zoos can do about that - and enforcing the rules is difficult. Zoo staff and volunteers, or even other visitors, reminding people about the rules or giving violators a talking-to are likely to be met with verbal aggression or even with physical aggression and/or being spat at/on. Even quite a few police officers who enforce the Covid-19 safety rules have been met with such despicable behavior, so understandably very few people will be chomping at the bits to enforce Covid-19 rules.

I am worried about what the irresponsible behavior of visitors will mean for zoos, and I fear that it will cost zoos dearly in the future. If zoos were to be shown to be a risky place for transmission of Covid-19, could that not easily lead to governments again ordering their closure or implementing further limits? And could the lack of social distancing not be used during a potential second wave of the coronavirus to keep zoos closed even longer, or perhaps indefinitely until a vaccine is available and sufficiently implemented? And finally if it were to become established that zoos pose a public health risk during disease outbreaks, could that not become an additional argument used by anti-zoo politicians and officials and the animal rights crowd to further push their anti-zoo agenda on society and on legislators?

So far it remains unclear to me how easily the coronavirus actually spreads in an outdoor environment, and while many are saying that outdoor situations are far less risky for transmission, it is not clear to me just how much lower this risk is, or what the risk might be in outdoor situations with lots of people that might in close proximity for relatively short amounts of time. And many zoos also have indoor facilities that likely pose a far greater risk.

I would really love to continue visiting zoos now that it is again an option, but I have begun to feel very unsafe, uncomfortable and stressed over the behavior of so many visitors, to the extent that I am not deriving much pleasure or benefit from zoo visits and am very seriously considering abstaining from visiting zoos as long as Covid-19 remains a major threat.

I would like the members of ZooChat about their experiences with social distancing and safety measures in the zoos they have visited since they have reopened, and what they think about the potential consequences of lack of observance of the rules for zoos. I would also like to hear how safe ZooChat members still feel visiting zoos, knowing that social distancing and safety measures are being ignored on a large scale, and whether people still feel safe and comfortable enough visiting zoos at all under these circumstances.

Jungle Man and amur leopard like this.
  2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I haven't visited any zoos since they reopened after the lockdown rules were relaxed; consequently I cannot comment on whether zoo visitors adhere to the social distancing rules.

Sadly, though, in my experience the vast majority of people in London take absolutely no notice whatsoever of the social distancing rules.

Whenever I go out I try very hard to adhere to the rules but it needs the cooperation of others too. I am always very diligent to ensure I am at least two metres away from everybody in my line of vision but, however careful you are, you cannot do anything about those who approach you from behind and suddenly push past you at a distance of half-an-inch or so (even when the pavement is plenty wide enough for them to avoid you completely by moving a couple of metres to the left or right).

And in supermarkets it's even worse; most other shoppers violate the social distancing rules and push past you in narrow supermarket aisles to reach the items they want on the shelves.

I suspect therefore that the situation is no better in zoos and many visitors will ignore the rules.

Pertinax likes this.