Join our zoo community

Odd Toed Ungulates exhibit?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Grant Rhino, 15 May 2017.

1. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know of a zoo with a specific odd toed ungulates exhibit?

Obviously most zoos nowadays display animals in geographical terms (zebras, giraffes, meerkats etc next to each other). But is there still a place left in zoo culture for displaying animals based on taxonomy?

Does any zoo have a specific zone with something like this:

White Rhino
    Indian Rhino
    Zebra
    Prezwalski Horse
    African Wild Ass
    Malayan Tapir
    Brazilian Tapir

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I bet Berlin does!

3. Grant Rhino

I just had a look at their website and map and they don't seem to have anything like this - although I do have faint memories of them having 3 rhino species when I was there in 2001 (but I can't remember to be sure)

4. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Not fully, but in part. The Tierpark still do it for African equids (various zebras+Somali wild ass) and nearby Indian rhino. Until a few years ago the section also held white rhino. In the Zoo, South American and Baird's tapirs, and rhinos in the same section.

Regardless, although neither of these may match what you're looking for, there are plenty of other taxonomic exhibit groupings in both Berlin Zoo and TP.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Let's be honest, you'd be hard pushed to find anything whatsoever on the new maps for the two collections :p in terms of detail and information conveyed, the old maps are Handbook of the Mammals of the World and the new maps are Spot the Dog.

Mehdi and jayjds2 like this.
  6. Grant Rhino

Sorry now I'm confused: Are Berlin Zoo and Tierpark two different zoos????

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

They are indeed; Zoo Berlin is in the west of the city and dates back to the 19th century, whilst Tierpark Berlin is in the east of the city and opened in the 1950's as a direct competitor to the older collection after the partition of the city. Although rivals for decades they have been managed side-by-side since the German reunification, and have shared a director since the late 2000's when Bernhard Blaszkiewitz (already director of TP Berlin) was appointed director of Zoo Berlin; this state of affairs continued when BB was ousted a few years ago, and both collections are now under the directorship of Andreas Kniereim.

I have written a fair bit about both collections in this thread if you want to know more.

Grant Rhino likes this.
  8. Grant Rhino

Thanks for letting me know about this Dave - I have spent the last 4 days reading your report and I found it very interesting! I've been to Berlin Zoo in 2001 and Leipzig Zoo in 2002, but it was so long ago that I don't remember much about either of them. That said, it has inspired me to go back to Germany one day and have a look at them again. I spent a lot of time in Dresden in 2002, and I went to Dresden Zoo a few times that year too.