Join our zoo community

ZooChat Exhibit Design Competition #2

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by jbnbsn99, 11 Sep 2015.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Drew, your design is a complete inspiration! So good, and so detailed. I think one of the problems of having a two stage process is that you are exposed to all these great ideas that you could conceivably use in your own design, but you perhaps shouldn't because it's IP theft! But it does make for a much more interactive process which is a lot of fun.

I look forward to more detail in your final write up as to how you will communicate your theming and interpretation concepts without any signage. I think it is the most challenging aspect of the brief.

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind words. I guess my hope is that the entry and exit video's will do the bulk of the direct interpretation of the storyline and the landscaping and other thematic elements will help to reinforce what is presented in the video. The guides are an additional way to learn more about the ecosystem and animal inhabitants but obviously they are a voluntary activity so can easily be ignored by visitors if they want to. In order to enter the reserve or exit it the guests have to watch the video so they are at least "forced" to learn about the tragedy and hope and how they can help conservation efforts. Hopefully the videos inspire them to want to learn more which in combination with the exit video inspires them to want to make a difference.

3. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess my opinion is opposite to some zoochatters: I think green spaces in current zoos are often wasting limited space which should go to animal exhibits. I would put as much green space as possible actually inside exhibits in a situation like this: limited space, existing old trees and most animals compatible with old trees (predators, small animals and small browsers). Trees produce the same oxygen when they are on a lawn, and when a chimp or bongo walk under them.

I hope these exhibit sizes are ok:
    Pygmy hippo - ca. 1075sq.ft water + 5380sq.ft land separable by half for one individual.
    Leopard – ca. 8070sq.ft + 320sq.ft and 540sq.ft offshow
    Forest buffalo – 15605sq.ft at one time, 540sq.ft for stalls, food storage and staff area.
    Bongo with white-naped mangabey and diana monkey - 11840sq.ft
    Yellow-backed duiker and mona monkey – 5380sq.ft
    Service area for pygmy hippo, birds, antelope and monkeys - ca 2150sq.ft

I thought visitors would like a big cat (leopard), big game (buffalo) and interesting social life of large groups of chimps and baboons.

I would have no problem with putting a generic leopard and free exhibit space in some other zoo, or preferably a purebred Sri Lankan or Persian leopard which is unrecognizable from some African leopards. But this is you who judge if generic leopard (without importing pure African ones) is OK.

4. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would disagree that a zoo-mix leopard would be a waste of space [yes, ideally they would be pure, but they only HAVE to be if you plan to breed to release]. Otherwise, a zoo-mix leopard would do just as good a job of being an 'ambassador' for leopards in the wild as a purebred ssp. could. I know this is your competition JB, but I would of thought a zoo-mix leopard would work fine as an educational exhibit?

5. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

One reason I say no to generic zoo-mix animals is longevity. If you're thinking short term for display right now, it could work, but what about the future? Say the exhibit lasts 50 years, will there be a sustainable supply of the animals to house in that exhibit? With zoos going towards pure lines, the answer will probably be no. The zoo almost certainly won't be breeding zoo-mix animals, so in a generation or two, that line will die out. Then what?

6. jbnbsn99

Sizes all look good to me. Very standard exhibit sizes.

7. jbnbsn99

Drew, do I really need to say anything? :rolleyes:

You know more about exhibit design than I do.

8. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I see your point on that one and that it's a valid reason for your choice. Just to answer the 'then what' question for the fun of it: if I couldn't get a generic leopard [though I doubt we'll fully see the end of them anytime soon, as they could potentially be sourced from private breeders or less reputable zoos], I would do one of the following:

1) Adapt the enclosure as necessary for a guenon or colobus species [more likely]
    2) Use one of the Asian pure ssp. leopard, again advising visitors that whilst it isn't an African leopard, it represents 'leopard' as an ambassador. [much less likely].

Also [as an afterthought, if we are discussing longevity of an exhibit], what about when/if some of the other animals we've been told to use become unavailable [guenons, duikers etc.]? Even if the exhibit as a whole would be around for 50+ years, I would work on the assumption that the species line up and specifics of the enclosures would more than likely change within even 5-10 years.

9. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I have always tended to agree with your thoughts on exhibit design in general so just wanted to see if you or anyone had any interesting ideas for improvement.

I might know more about exhibit design but you know a lot more about taxonomy than I do. Especially birds.... which is one of my biggest question marks on my design. Does that mix really work well or is there some other mix/species that would make it better?

10. jbnbsn99

I'd bow to fkalltheway for that answer. I know wild birds pretty well, but captive is a different story. One reason exhibit designers are probably best left out of the final collection decisions.

11. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Now that you mention bird taxonomy...

It seems that Crested Guineafowl has been split into three species (according to Handbook Birds of the World online) so the species native to West Africa is Guttera verreauxi (formerly Guttera pucherani verreauxi). I'm not sure there are any of this species in captivity; in Europe I think it is just Guttera (pucherani) pucherani.

Just a very minor thing that crossed my mind.

12. Jurek7

Hi Drew, you asked for opinion, so for me:
    -it is a good design overall
    -but somewhat traditional. Could be done in a zoo from 1980s
    -too much unused space to my liking. Animal spaces use only like 50% of the area
    -baby chimp rehabilitation is certainly an emotive, engaging topic, but I would choose something for people to learn more about wildlife.
    -you need to separate male and female hippo most of the time
    -small hornbill would not survive in a cage with a troop of monkeys
    -all other small bird species are OK sans guineafowl, unless somebody pedantic digs subspecies of AZA populations.
    -keeping flightless crowned crane with hoofstock is increasingly problematic in my region, they are put into aviaries
    -500sq ft is too little for three grown crocodiles to my liking
    -chimp exhibit should allow splitting the group into two for group dynamic
    -at least in my region, treehouse would need a lift/ramp for disabled visitors and a hammock at tree level would be an invitation for accidents.
    -the creek is described as steep sided, so hoofstock would have a problem walking in and out and create erosion. Also making filtration area downstream would require pumping water up or major digging. Maybe try to place all this exhibit on one side of the creek?

13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Thank you.

It doesn't strike me as traditional but to each their own. Are you talking about collection? Design elements? Seeing as how some truly great exhibits were designed in the 70's and 80's I guess that this is not at all a bad thing though :D

In order to get a more immersive design I felt that much green space was warranted, obviously if immersion is low on the list of priorities then it will seem like a waste of space - understood. My hope was that the more immersive environment will help people become more engaged, and by becoming more engaged people will inherently learn more about wildlife. Learning about wildlife is not just facts and figures about animals and plants. I think more important is developing a "natural ethic" that can help influence decision making. The story is not just about the baby chimp but has many parts that work together that try to develop this "nature ethic".

That is what the off-exhibit space is for.

Note taken, I thought I had remembered this being done before with success but I might be mistaken.

This is commonly done in the US.

They have the ability to split off the dayroom and off-exhibit outdoor spaces to account for this.

There is currently a ramp shown to the treehouse so disabled individuals can access just fine. The hammock would likely need to have a handrail or other barrier to prevent accidental tripping. This design feature has been used in a botanical garden here is the states without incident.

Bioretention swales are shallow by nature and the swales are shown to "start" where the creek enters the exhibit, hookstock would be able to easily cross them. Reworking the grading to account for this can be somewhat costly but seeing as how budget is not a concern I felt is warranted. I am not sure I understand your last statement...the water was shown to be flowing downsheet so my bioswales occur within and after the exhibit before the water flows into the main branch of the creek.

Thank you for the comments!

14. FunkyGibbon

I actually based some of my approach on comments you're previously made elsewhere about using multiple levels of the same space. I think it's innovative and exciting. Where we differ is that I think this is a way of creating green space even in a limited area situation :)

Like you I wanted to include leopards but I wasn't happy with zoomix. I then also considered Amur, as having the most need for captive holders. But in the context of this being an exhibit in a wider zoo, I think other leopard subspecies should just be in an asia area. If these 4.7 acres were the only animal exhibit in a different context, then it would be a different story, for me at least.

15. FunkyGibbon

Thank you for your compliment :)
    To transfer animals in and out of the exhibit their travel crates would be forklifted up to the first floor. I don't think this would be any more stressful than moving the crates in any other way. Obviously, there is an extra element of risk, but this should be manageable.
    I'm not sure this enclosure is going to make the final cut to be honest. I have lots of ungulates already, and I want to make some changes to create more green space. I've also identified other species I want to fit in. We'll see.
    One of the problems is that whilst the roof can support landscaping, it can't really have mature trees on it. So it needs some careful treatment in a forest complex.

16. FunkyGibbon

Thanks very much! I think all the additional constraints have focused me quite a lot. Although I'd still be happier creating giant expansive exhibits where the animals are hard to spot! I appreciate that's far less interesting from a design perspective though, and totally unrepresentative of the conditions many modern zoos operate in.

The moats for 6 and 8 are separate from the creek, and not designed to flow into it.

If I might ask for a little more feedback, did you have any thoughts about my species selection? And were there any mixes that you might worry about?

17. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Drew, happy to talk birds whenever you want!

I've been distracted from this challenge by my job right now, and as a result I won't be participating. It's been great reading up on everyone's entries!

18. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

I hope you all enjoy this. Just two things to keep in mind, I designed it to be walked clockwise, all enclosures unless otherwise mentioned work on a ha-ha barrier design, I figured that writing that in each enclosure description would get very repetitive.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy it, skip to page 4 for the beginning of the write up.

Attached Files:

19. Jurek7

Just a tip for others. Old version of Virtual Zoo by WAZA had requirements how to keep various animal species in a zoo. Current version of the website no longer has these, but they are still accessible via the Internet Archive. For example, requirements for keeping a pygmy hippo are here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2011010...254385523/hexaprotodon-choeropsis-liberiensis
    Most species from this thread are there. For the other ones, you can match the closely related species of the same size.

20. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for this Jurek, this was such a great resource, so glad someone saw fit to save it. I'm compiling all the avaliable information together for easy access, once I have it done, I'll upload it to the competition I finish it during. (ie. this one or the next)

I know its been a busy month, but if anyone has had a chance to take a peek at my entry I would love to hear what you have to say.