Join our zoo community

ZooChat Exhibit Design Competition #2

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by jbnbsn99, 11 Sep 2015.

1. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My entry isn't quite finished yet but finding myself running out of time [all I'm really missing from my idea is a description of paddocks, but they're all just pretty standard paddocks]. Anyway, I wanted to upload what I have so far to get some feedback on the general ideas so far.

Attached Files:

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Few things I see.

1. Gorillas are out of the picture as they don't fit the collection plan/criteria.
    2. There's only one entrance/exit point on the forest building, which will create a pinch point.
    3. You've got several exhibits that go into the creek, but remember that the creek slopes away from the visitor and the animals might not be seen. Also, you have no means of filtration on waste entering back into the water supply.

3. jbnbsn99

Sorry for the delay, I simply missed the entry.

Thoughts.

1. I love the rotational concept, but I think having 7 enclosures for Pygmy Hippos/Red-River Hogs is a bit of overkill.
    2. I can't make out anything on the right side of the map, but I am assuming that it is another rotational concept (chimp/bongo/duiker). If that is the case, then these exhibits are half the size, or smaller, than the hippo/hog exhibits for animals that are much larger or more active. Perhaps switching these would be a better idea.
    3. From what I can see, the smaller "island" seems awfully cramped with very small exhibits. Also, the pathways in that area are a mishmash with no clear path and a lot of backtracking.

4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I just realized that no European zoo has western subspecies of bongo. Is it possible to include bongo sp. in the exhibit, or shall it count as a new species imported from AZA?

5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I have included Eastern Bongos in my design. As you say, there are no western ones in europe, and there isn't really a justification for importing them. Eastern bongos are so endangered, and are one of the few species where ex situ breeding will almost certainly be the saviour. Add their charismatic appearence to the mix and I think it's a good decision.

6. jbnbsn99

As far as I know, there are no Western Bongos in captivity (unless in Africa).

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are we really going to be concerned with subspecies in something like this? I don't think it's always necessary to have the exact right (sub)species in an interpretive exhibit like this.

8. Jurek7

Thanks jbnbsn99.

Do I understand you correctly that bongos are allowed in this game without counting them as new imports from the wild/outside EAZA?

9. jbnbsn99

I think Bongos will be fine.

10. Jurek7

Thank you!

FunkyGibbon, your netting hoofstock-bird aviaries are very cool.

However I have problem picturing some indoor two-level buildings. Maybe draw more. In any case, two-level stalls for antelope and primates may go against European requirements of natural light for animals. And basement should not go under areas with tall trees and shrubs, which would mean great weight of earth and roots.

11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't considered natural light, but in theory it should be no different from a one story building without skylights? Maybe I can add in some extra windows or something.
    That whole area will receive a revamp anyway. I don't think the reedbuck work, the four monkey islands are unnecessary, and I will be scrapping the restaurant.

12. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Would a mix between mona or diana monkeys with duiker work?

13. Ituri

I intended to do a more detailed write-up but decided if I were to wait for me to get around to doing that it may never get posted.

UPDATE:
    Re-uploaded the exhibit narrative, fixing some errors.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 28 Oct 2015
    Austin the Sengi likes this.
  14. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ituri did you draw that map by hand or use a program? It looks great.

15. Ituri

Thanks. It's hand-drawn, except for the lettering which was added in Adobe Photoshop.

16. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

Love your design, its great. I think you mixed up 8B and 8C on the map. But otherwise, I love what you did with the Treeway and how far you spread it.

17. Ituri

Thank you for the complement. And thanks for pointing out the mix-up, I had just noticed it and it has been corrected.

18. jbnbsn99

I see only two main concerns.
    1. The chimp area has only 2 viewing areas. The indoor one will create a pinch point and have cramped viewing. Perhaps another outdoor viewing on the backside of the exhibit.
    2. The two-way bridge to the night house can also be seen as a pinch point. Also creates a bit of backtracking.

Overall, a great design.

19. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A little late to the party, but here is the design that I came up with. Keep in mind, I did not proofread the write-up at all. There may be some grammatical and spelling errors, but I just scribbled down all my thoughts.

I would appreciate any comments, questions, or feedback about anything. Thanks.

Attached Files:

20. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow,I just relized that there are only 10 days left...I should speed up :D