Join our zoo community

ZooChat Exhibit Design Competition #3

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by jbnbsn99, 10 Aug 2016.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I agree with Chlidonias' plan: cut out the species from fkalltheway's list with any red lettering (and possibly the ones with purple lettering, with exceptions like for the kookaburra); however, the green just indicates that fkalltheway was adding it without it having been mentioned before, not that the species is a high priority.

Even with those cuts, there will still be a decent amount of bird species to choose from.

2. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Did anyone hear me? .-.

Again, we could have crocodile monitors and red-bellied pacu

3. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In regards to the flame bowerbirds (I'm not getting involved in the process per se, just thought I should mention this) Al Wabra in the Middle East have some that they breed. They also keep various species of birds-of-paradise that they recently exported to Germany and around the world for breeding purposes, so perhaps it would be feasible to get them from there?

4. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Be patient, people are discussing the process of the competition. They will come to your proposal soon I imagine.

5. Ebirah766

Hopefully. I don't know a lot of Papua New Guinea creatures though

6. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Hopefully by tomorrow, I'll have the full challenge online.

7. jbnbsn99

Ok guys, finally had some time to sit down and get some stuff done on the challenge. First off, my apologies for the delay. I was in the process of completing and publishing a textbook (sorry, not zoo or animal related), which took up most of my time.

Ok, here's the fun stuff.

What we've got is a pre-existing building plus the surrounding grounds. The building is ~62 feet by 100 feet (~6,300 sq. ft.). It is 25 feet tall, so the possibility of two stories is quite feasible. The entire project sits on ~21,500 sq. feet (1/2 acre). The entire space maybe be used for the project. Adding on to the building may be done. Lowering the floor of the building can be done, but only to a depth of 10 feet. All pathways may be changed to suit the design. Surrounding the green area are visitor pathways, so entrances will not be hindered by other exhibits/structures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Species list will be posted next, followed by rules and deadlines.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2016
  8. jbnbsn99

Final Species List:
    This is the final species list that we will be working with. Additions may only be made to the reptile collection (turtles, snakes, and lizards).

Mammals

• · Matschie's tree kangaroo
    • · Agile Wallaby
    • · Common Spotted Cuscus
    • · New Guinea Short-beaked Echidna
    • · New Guinea Singing Dog
    • · Dusky Pademelon
    • · Sugar Glider

Birds
    • · Double-Wattled Cassowary
    • · Magpie Goose
    • · Plumed Whistling Duck
    • · Wandering Whistling Duck
    • · Spotted Whistling Duck
    • · Radjah Shelduck
    • · Cotton Pygmy Goose
    • · Green-naped Pheasant Pigeon
    • · Blue Crowned Pigeon
    • · Nicobar Pigeon
    • · Emerald Dove aka Green-winged Dove
    • · Purple-tailed Imperial Pigeon
    • · Pied Imperial Pigeon
    • · Wompoo Fruit-dove
    • · Beautiful Fruit-dove
    • · Papuan Mountain Pigeon
    • · Buff-banded Rail
    • · Australian Swamphen
    • · Straw-necked Ibis
    • · Striated Heron
    • · Masked Lapwing
    • · Dollarbird
    • · Palm Cockatoo
    • · Pesquet's Parrot
    • · Eclectus Parrot
    • · Brown Lory
    • · Black Capped Lory
    • · Dusky Lory
    • · Coconut Lorikeet
    • · Goldie's Lory
    • · Hooded Pitta
    • · Blue-faced Honeyeater
    • · White-breasted Woodswallow
    • · Fawn-breasted Bowerbird
    • · Superb Bird of Paradise
    • · Red Bird of Paradise
    • · Lesser Bird of Paradise
    • · Raggiana Bird of Paradise
    • · Metallic Starling
    • · Blue-faced Parrotfinch

Reptiles

• · New Guinea Crocodile
    • · Crocodile Monitor
    • · Bolen’s Python
    • · Green Tree Python
    • · Fly-River Turtle

9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Technically it is endemic to the island country next to New Guinea (the Solomon Islands), but seeing as it is quite close, and is common in captivity, what about prehensile-tailed skink?

Another suggestion: emerald tree monitor?

10. jbnbsn99

Those are fine.

11. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another couple of reptile ideas: frill-necked lizard and red-eyed crocodile skink. I gather these two species are pretty widely kept.

Also, would our designs be able to incorporate any of the other animal groups (amphibians, fishes or invertebrates)?

12. Sealife357

Sealife357 Well-Known Member

Could we get the Google SketchUp File again if possible?

13. jbnbsn99

Yes, you can incorporate any of those species within reason.

14. jbnbsn99

You'll have to PM me for the file. I can't upload it to the forum.

15. Ebirah766

If possible, we could have a few fish species in there but there might not be enough space for the suggested animals

EDIT: Just read we might have fish.

16. Ebirah766

Ah screw it. I'm going to try and make a nice, big description of the current animals's exhibits

So we walk along a trail to a massive netted, arboreal exhibit with the Matische's kangaroos and cuscuses, who could live alongside each other as they aren't very active animals that can coexsist
    So we move on to the next exhibit that features a massive indoor/outdoor yard with a babbling waterfall and a nice big, grassy yard with some hides for the pademelons and wallabies. The next exhibit is a medium sized forested yard with so many hides. This could be for the echidnas. A larger indoor/outdoor yard with a netted top and some heated rocks for the singing dogs. Then we see an exhibit integrated into a hilled area that's lit up and has a nice big space for a group of sugar gliders.

The birds could be free-flying, we just have to put nets over the exhibits so the predators don't get tempted to eat them.

The reptiles section would be heavily forested and much more up-close. The new guinea crocodiles would be in a massive land and water exhibit with enough room for 5 crocs, but we currently only have a pair of them. The next exhibit is around the same size with less water for our pair of crocodile monitors. The nest one will be another in wall exhibit with bolen's pythons and green tree pythons.

I just figured out we could have a larger aquatic exhibit with the fly river turtles and assorted rainbowfish

That is all

17. jbnbsn99

Entries without actual designs will be disqualified.

Please wait until I post all the requirements.

18. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What is the area of open spaces left and right of the building?
    Can entrance and exit from the building be moved?

I am looking for somebody to team up. Previous competition was won by a guy who produced best pictures. Is anybody here savvy with photo programs who wants to team up and paint 1 map and 3-4 concept drawings from pen scretches?

19. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

I'd love to join up with you Jurek, but I have little to no experience in paint and very little drawing skill. :p:confused:

20. jbnbsn99

Here is a link to the SketchUp file for those wishing to use it. Dropbox - Papua House.skp

Final rules and requirements.

1. Deadline - final project must be turned in by midnight on December 8th - one month from today.
    2. Final design will be required to have diagrams and layouts (you may use the attached SketchUp file).
    3. The zoo requests to have both male and female restrooms available within the building.
    4. Sufficient life support systems must be included.

We will use the same grading system as the last challenge:

0-20 - Theme (0 is no theme at all; 20 is a fully thought out, functional, appropriate, and exciting theme)

0-20 - Animal collection - The majority of animals the zoo requires should be included. Additional animals may be included, but those that do not fit the scheme will loose points.

0-20 - Keeper and housing requirements (0 no keeper/housing; 20 keeper areas and housing requirements are fully met, functional, and accessible)

0-20 - Exhibits (0 exhibits do not appear on design; 20 exhibits are well designed for the animal needs and for visitor viewing)

0-20 - Visitor experience (0 visitors not able to see animals or meet basic needs; 20 visitor walks away from exhibit feeling a sense of "wow")

0-20 - Zoo's requested requirements/needs (0 - none of the zoo's requirements are met; 20 - all requirements are met and well designed into the exhibit)

0-20 - Write-up (0 no write-up present; 20 write-up well written, includes all needed information, presented clearly and succinctly)

0-20 Landscape design (0 no landscape information given; 20 - detailed information on existing plants and what will be planted in exhibits and in landscape/garden areas)

0-20 Interpretation/conservation (0 no interpretation or conservation message; 20 visitor leaves knowing more about Papua-New Guinea, the animals there, why they should care about them, and what they can do).