Join our zoo community

Okapi and Bonobos for Egypt?!, New Okapis for South Africa?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 22 Jan 2017.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

What you think Zoochatters,

Is there high probability that Egypt zoos can get okapis and bonobos from DR Congo in near future?

Also, is there high probability that South Africa will include new okapis from DR Congo, to their males that were recieved from the U.S.? (is there any strategy from the U.S. for these okapis?) (Is there plans for their breeding)? Any info that any of you might have?

I think it is very important, at least in Africa, new okapis from DR Congo to be included in most of the Africa's decent zoos and breeding programme estabilshed, as there is not very bright future for many animals (including okapis), owing to human expansion. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: 22 Jan 2017
  2. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

With the rate of extinction that they are facing it is very import for the survival of the species in the wild and captivity.In Egypt most of the zoos there are like zoos from 1950's.I think they would rather populate the species in zoos that will populate in and thrive not zoos were they might get a disease etc.Both Bonobo's and Okapi's are from the tropical rainforest and to change climates so extremely as in to moving to hot,sunny Egypt it will very much effect the way they breed,interact and their mobility and some species just can't adapt to new climates and die out.

I think it is likely, at the moment they are using their Okapi's as ammbassador's of their wild cousins.There are no plans to import female Okapi's from DR Congo but it would be great to have a breeding program so close to their natural home.

BennettL

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

No and no.

The biggest problem with the acquisition of wild founders is that there is an ongoing armed conflict in eastern DR Congo, which I believe resulted in the destruction of an okapi conservation center that would have been the most likely source for them. This conflict endangers the okapi population and at the same time makes it dangerous to do any conservation work in that region; a serious catch-22.

At the same time, you must add in other factors that would make the process very difficult anyway: CITES regulations, the wild population's fragility, a possibly high mortality rate for new founders, the small number of "decent" zoos in Africa, and the potential for introducing exotic hoofstock diseases to other continents.

If anyone has evidence to the contrary of my stance, I'd gladly hear it and reconsider.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes the destruction of the in country okapi center was appalling, killing all the animals AND even worse the staff members.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  5. Nikola Chavkosk

I think it would be a easier for an African country, due to proximity and relationships to DR Congo, and possibly due to less strict-veterinary rules (because exotic reportable diseases generaly are present in most or many African countries), like South Africa, Uganda (there is beautifull conservation and education centre in Uganda, after one reading and western Uganda is former natural range of okapi), Angola, Kenya, or Egypt for example, to obtain some animals through legal means of course, from DR Congo. Even one female okapi would be a great help if bred with current captive male(s). But who knows.. Maybe zoos should insist more on this and take the initiative.

I think this was the mentioned wildlife conservation and education centre in Uganda: Corporate Meetings & Ceremonies - Uganda Wildlife Education Centre

6. Coelacanth18

To the veterinary rules and exotic diseases: as I said, the risk is bringing those diseases off the African continent. Even if only captive-born offspring of wild founders are sent abroad, they may still carry those pathogens.

If you're suggesting that Africa should be building up its own captive okapi population, I would refer you to my original point about the scarcity of African zoos with the resources to do that.

Yes, it could potentially be easier for an African country to obtain them, but that doesn't make it easy. Shooting a basketball from 100 feet away is easier than shooting one from 200 feet away, but that doesn't make either one easy (unless if you're LeBron James perhaps...)

To your last point: "Maybe zoos should insist more on this and take the initiative." I'm not sure what you're trying to convey with this.

7. Nikola Chavkosk

I think zoos should try to obtain offsprings from new okapis from DR Congo via other more-suitable African countries, for the ex-situ conservation. Offsprings that will be born outside DR Congo, like in South Africa, and then their participation in breeding programmes in America, Europe and/or Japan. Alternatives for export may become available/or already exist (depending on country), for example for okapis that will be born and quarantined in disease-free zones in South Africa, even from wild-caught parrent(s).
    Also doing that, they can help for establishing a breeding okapi captive population in South Africa and Uganda for example. 3 zoos in South Africa and one centre in Uganda would be a fairly enough initially for a small breeding captive okapi population.

8. Nikola Chavkosk

There is Pan-African Association of Zoos and Aquaria, and at least 12 member zoos (mostly from South Africa, but also one in Egypt, Uganda and Madagascar), that with the help of other zoo associations, can establish some small captive okapi (eg. 7-10 in 3-4 zoos) and bonobo (eg. 20 in 5 zoos) populations (and from other species), (eg. Uganda's centre can holds okapis so near to their natural range).

9. Coelacanth18

Okay... I understand the potential benefits and what you are conveying. I'm confused because the issues that I brought up are still going to be major obstacles in achieving these goals. I don't necessarily disagree with you on the premise, but I have doubts about the feasibility. "They should insist on it and take the initiative" doesn't make the process any less insurmountable.

To your point about the space available in PAAZAB-accredited zoos: there may be space for a small breeding population, but not one that is sustainable on its own. This brings us back to my concern about spreading diseases off the continent, but I do think with proper quarantines and veterinary protocols that risk can be minimized.

10. Nikola Chavkosk

In respect to veterinary reasons,
    I have been shocked when I have read about import of Nyalas from Africa to New Zealand, and yet there is so strict ban of any possible import of any Artiodactyla in EU or Europe in general. I thought import of Artiodactyla from Africa is not, and will not be possible for long time, in any Western Wolrd country.
    Maybe New Zealand estimated that eventual introduction of a exotic disease won't be a great damage for the country :)

11. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is possible to export hoofstock from Africa if they can proof they have the level of bio-security that is the same as in Europe and that an EU member state is willing to recognize this. This is currently not the case and I do not see it happening in the near future.

Also realise there has been quite some attention to Ape and monkey smuggling (including bonobos) from Africa to Armenia so any export from Africa will be scrutinized very closely.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I read the centennial history books on San Diego, I was surprised to learn they wanted to stock the Wild Animal Park (when it opened) with antelope from Africa, but regulations would not allow the imports. So they had to get them from private game ranches in Texas.

13. Nikola Chavkosk

The history of San Diego Zoo (and Safari park) is very interesting. I enjoyed reading their short reviews about their history on their website. That for the first okapi, was after an offer recieved on French language via fax :) from Zaire - soon after they translated it, they realized it was an offer for a male okapi. They got the okapi. The second, female okapi, they recieved, was from Belgium. If I am wrong, I will be glad to read correction :)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2017