Join our zoo community

Okapi Enrichment

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by mstickmanp, 8 Sep 2008.

1. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I'm an Enrichment Volunteer at the Los Angeles Zoo and I was wondering if there is anything I could do to provide enrichment to the Okapis at the zoo. I've never done enrichment to the Okapis and I've never seen Okapis with any kind of enrichment in their exhibit. Does anybody have any ideas of enrichment for Okapis? Thanks

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Trie this site, it has alot of information on Okapis and a section on enrichement.

Okapi management site

To me I would of thought similar enrichement ideas that are used for giraffes would be ok for Okapi,

Let us know how you get on, and maybe some photos :p

3. mstickmanp

Thanks! I can't believe I fergot about that website. I only volunteer on Saturdays, so it might take some time before I get some pics.

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

No prob, would be nice to see the pics but dont rush it.

5. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

It depends on what kind of reaction you want out of them. I know my males love to mark on saplings and tall bits of grass. All okapi love to play with their tongues also. Or maybe try a mirror and see if they will chuff at it? Have fun, and let me know what you come up with!

6. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

That was a great site that taun recommended. I learnt a lot about this beautiful animal by visiting it.

I knew already that the okapi is a nervous animal. My home zoo - Copenhagen - normally keeps two okapis, one male and one female I suppose. A few years ago an unfortunate accident occurred: A rock concert was held at an adjoining park and one of the okapis died from shock - couldn´t stand the loud noise.

7. mstickmanp

Yeah, Okapis are really shy, at the Los Angeles zoo the two are always in the back of the exhibit. At the zoo the okapis are always seperated since they are both male, so there is always only one on exhibit with a pair of Black Duikers.

Too bad one of the okapis died. The closes thing to the Los Angeles Zoo is a Golf Course, so there is no danger there.

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Chesters Okapi are right near the giraffe, so it often gets really busy around the enclosure but they seem not to be too bothered by it all.

9. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

mstickmamp wrote:

"Too bad one of the okapis died. The closes thing to the Los Angeles Zoo is a Golf Course, so there is no danger there."

Glad to hear that! :) :) :)

10. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

I thought it was opera that killed the okapi

11. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

First I was going to write "should we really joke on this matter?", but then I realised you might not be joking at all, especially considering your signature.

Anyway... my memory says that it was a rock concert, but it might of course have been something else, for instance an opera.

A very loud musical performance, anyway. With a sad and tragical ending...

12. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Heres an idea.Take a water jug,drill fairly large holes in it,fill it with food and then hang it in the exhibit.Also,maybe you could take a PVC Pipe,put fill it with hay and then stick treats in the hay inside.

13. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I like that idea, getting there tongues working :D

14. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is a photo in the gallery of eland enrichment of big pieces of bamboo hanging from a tree. You could try this with zoogoer2000's idea of putting food in them.