Join our zoo community

okapi questions

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by canaryboy, 1 Mar 2014.

1. canaryboy

canaryboy Well-Known Member

Not sure if this this question is really worth a thread on it's own, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it. Do you think okapi are interesting species for both Joe public and/or zoo enthusiasts in zoo exhibits? Why? And also is there a great place in the UK exhibiting them? Just personal interest, I've never seen one in real life.

Thanks

2. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I personally find Okapi fascinating and most guests are similarly mesmerised at first. Their uniqueness leaves most of the general public intrigued and some can even be bothered to check signs on what they are.

As an 'enthusiast', they can be fantastic to watch, much like giraffe they are an animal that you can easily stand and watch for half an hour, even if they aren't as 'entertaining' in their activities as some primates and carnivores.

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have always had an interest in okapi, ever since i got one in my first model zoo set as a toddler. I was delighted when i first saw one for real, aged 6 at Bristol & equally so when London first got them in the late 70s.
    On our visit to London last week my girlfriend & her children saw their first okapi & found it much more interesting than the giraffes.
    As for the best place to see them, Marwell have by far the biggest enclosures, but theirs spend a lot of time indoors. Chester have probably a better planted, more natural enclosure. Bristol (& wild place?) have no indoor viewing, that i can recall, so is probably the worst bet if you want to be sure to see one.

4. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And you can count how many times you hear "It's a zebra crossed with a giraffe"

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They may be like gorillas, who often prefer to stay indoors than be out in the open.

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful etc. etc. etc.

And as for the calves!!!!

7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The public seem to like to look at them.

8. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I try to zone out the public when I'm at a zoo, but they do seem more interested in them than your average ABC from what I recall.

As for myself, I think they are amazing. When you break them down they are very similar to several other animals, but combined they are utterly unique. I was really annoyed when I went to Chester last year and there wasn't time for more than a cursory glance.

I wish somewhere closer kept them. Are they difficult to keep? I seem to remember hearing they need shade to feel comfortable, like gorillas.

9. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They are tropical forest animals and as such I don't think they are relaxed in open paddocks,I often wonder if more upright tree trunks or wooden posts supporting camouflage netting may help them feel more secure? The ones at marwell have a good indoor set up with nice viewing. The last time I was there a pigeon had become trapped in an area above the visitor walk way and started to flap the okapi panicked and one smashed into the door frame trying too get away and another slipped and fell over I went and found a keeper who removed the bird. I love okapi they look so sleek and gentle.

10. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really enjoy seeing them at Antwerp considering this was the first place they were exhibited (I believe?) and thinking of the history of the species in captivity that started here.

11. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I actually once heard someone say "is it a real animal or something they made at the zoo by breeding other animals?"

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are fantastic creatures, Chester surely has the best overall exhibit for them in the UK, but i wonder if any other collections are lined up to get them?

13. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another Zoochatter who thinks that okapi are wonderful !

I remember the first breeding pair at Bristol Zoo many years ago in a small house/paddock , long-demolished , near the now Gorilla House . I was also lucky enough to visit Hollywood Towers when large numbers were held in a row of simple stables/paddocks . On a visit to Wild Place last year it was good to see okapis again in these same ( renovated ) paddocks . ( Wild Place opened last year with the new collection housed in original , renovated enclosures ) .

Unfortunately quite a few of the original Bristol okapi herd were lost to various problems . This was in the days when the loan of rare species to other Zoos was in its infancy . They still seem to be quite a difficult animal to manage successfully , the European population has only increased very slowly , with losses close in numbers as births , and quite a few of the population not breeding .

I have been fortunate to see most of the okapi since kept in the UK as well as in a number of European collections and still find them just as fascinating .

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And another...;) I can actually remember when the first pair arrived at Bristol Zoo- actually it was only the female - the male died on the flight( as the plane landed in the UK I believe). A 2nd male was soon obtained and they formed the original breeding pair. The first two calves died from a form of Aspergillosis, from inhaling spores in the hay bedding- afterwards it was changed to peat and calves started to survive better. But a number, as you say, still died and probably less than 50% were reared. For many years up till the 1980's Bristol stockpiled them at the Hollywood estate and only later released any to other Zoos- and then only in Europe, not the UK, until much more recently.

Despite that, the calf 'M'buti' born at Bristol and now at London(again), is the seventh generation of that line, though due to exchanges, not all the previous generations were born at Bristol.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2014
  15. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was in Wild Place yesterday and both Okapi were outside, stripping the trees and looking very happy. They are crowd pleasers although you can't tell that from going to Wild Place as there are never any crowds!

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess the good folk of Bristol and environs haven't really taken to Wild Place yet as there isn't much to see. They really need a drawcard to pull people in, and I don't mean Hebridean sheep..;). The wolves when they arrive might add a bit more interest though.

17. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I look back at the press releases from few years ago about the vision for the park and the 14 zones they wanted to create and the animals they planned to bring in, it would be nice if they could bring in some Bears for the historic British woodland zone, Orang Utans for rainforest or start on the Tanzania savannah zone. It's all about funding I suppose. It's sad that the Lottery turned their application forms for a grant down

18. SmallestGiraffe

SmallestGiraffe Well-Known Member

Oh the amount of times i have heard that :rolleyes:

19. bluetoffeezoo

bluetoffeezoo Well-Known Member

I have always been fascinated by Okapi they just look such gentle animals and keepers say they are a dream to work with, Chester being my local zoo I get to see young and Breeding Okapi a joy to watch and the male does seem intrigued by a shaking bush (just ask Karoocheetah)

did over hear a woman complaining that she would report chest for cross breeding freak animals paha!!

20. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Especially if they put them in with the Hebridean sheep!

:)