Join our zoo community

Taronga Western Plains Zoo old maned wolf exhibit

Discussion in 'Australia' started by boof, 14 Apr 2013.

1. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's been a while since I've visited TWPZ. What now calls the old maned wolf exhibit home?

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

When I was there a few months ago I think it was empty.

:p

Hix

3. boof

wow. do you know of any plans? seems a waste.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I thought a bigger waste was the walkthrough aviary. Closed and in desperate need of an overhaul for almost two years now. But I didn't hear of any plans for the wolf enclosure.

Of course, things might have changed in the last six months since I was there.

:p

Hix

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I am looking at the current map and comparing it to the 2009 map, and noticing quite a few differences, especially down in the South American part of the zoo, which in 2009 had: Tapir, Galapagos Tortoise, Maned Wolf, Mara, Rhea and a camelid (not sure what species), now there are just tortoises and tapir. Overall, comparison of the 2009 and 2013 census shows that mammal species kept at the zoo dropped from 57 to 49.

One thing I really liked about TWPZ was the biogeographic layout, which I thought looked great. In 2009 almost all of the zoo was arranged this way (except the entry exhibits, Asian Elephant) but in the current map this has changed a bit, with a number of African species moving into the South American and adjacent Australian areas. I hope they retain the biogeographic layout, and manage to reinstate the South American section.

@Hix, do you know what happened to the aviary and what species it used to hold? Its been taken off the map, so I doubt its been re-opened.

6. boof

I didn't know about the aviary. what a waste.

7. Lyrebird

Lyrebird Well-Known Member

The Camelid was Guanaco.
    When I visited mid 2012, the awesome mixed species exhibit was home to a single Brazilian Tapir and it was off exhibit anyways! Maned Wolf exhibit was empty and closed off.

8. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

The exhibit is currently closed off; some large pot plants block the boardwalk entry. There was talk of it becoming a second exhibit for African wild dog. Overall, once you get past the African Savannah tower, TWPZ appears to have done away with their once heavily promoted geogrpahical layout; 'five continents in one day' or safari around the world in a day was often stated.
    Its a shame; the Australian and above mentioned South American areas have particularly been run-down.