Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Old Marwell

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charliemarwell, 17 Aug 2013.

1. Fossa

Fossa New Member

I miss the jaguars!

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Welcome under a new user name charliemarwell!!!

3. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not certain if this is the right place to post this . I read in the latest Chester Zoo News of the sad death of William Oliver who worked for many years on wildlife conservation in the Philippines . I quote ' He was without doubt one of the strongest voices for conservation in zoos and linking them to field programmes . '

Over 40 years ago he worked as a keeper at Marwell in its early days . In Marwell Zoo's Paper no. 6 , October 1973 , he published an article on the behaviour of ungulates . At the end of the article it states that he worked on the Ungulate Section .

Another sad and significant loss in 2014 .

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bill Oliver.

By all means....I am a bit shocked to hear this news. I knew Bill well in those days and continued our friendship into his Jersey days and beyond. I remember his full initials too with which he always a little flambouyantly signed himself with- WRLO I think. Later we lost touch though. He was indeed a very committed, almost driven conservationist, he kind of lived for that really. He was also quite a talented artist too. He also introduced me to the world of Zoo Postcards but that's a different story...

Last edited: 5 Dec 2014