Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Old New Guinea Enclosure

Discussion in 'Australia' started by boof, 23 Mar 2007.

1. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have been reading the thread that Zoo_Boy posted about the new bull elephant enclosure. In it is mentioned the old New Guinea enclosure across from the old elephant yard and next to the blue penguin enclosure. This avairy has been empty for a long time.
    Does anyone know of any plans for this avairy?
    Is it to be removed to make way for a new exhibit or does it have to stay because it is heritage listed?
    I believe that it could be used to display birds or small mammals if it was cleaned up and had some modifications made to it.

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Is that that really tall one? would be nice for a flock of macaws!

3. boof

Yeah. Thats the one. I think they had palm cockies in it years ago but I could be wrong. I think an arboreal mammal like a sloth and some small monkeys would go good in there.

4. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

yea they would, but its not in correct location, i think some asian birds, or even some more langurs

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

yes langurs woudl be nice, or a large colony of alexandrines, or make it walk in and have asian lories!

6. boof

Yeah. I guess your right, Zoo_Boy, gotta stick to the asian theme in that area.

7. Zoo_Boy

its sorta 2 high from memory, it sits in a maybe 1 meter wall, which is then at tht level as the base, so a walk-through would require alot of builing, such as staris and moving exhibits, nah i think a nice group of birds as ben said

on this what is to be done in this area, come on guyts, we have to find uses for the old seal thetre, a penguin pool, and a couple of aivaries!!!!

8. Zoo_Boy

the teared ( not sure how to spell) staris create a nice set-up for a rugged mountain exhibit, maybe a pair of cluded leopards, with a nice pool in front, and a tall water fall. the old peguiun exhibit, um tricky, maybe say a small mammal, not sure some 1 else nay ideas, and aivaries as above

9. boof

. The bottom could be dug out and a pool could be put there with glass for under water viewing instead of the metre high retaining wall where you are talking about Zoo boy. I hope that makes sense.
    The exhibit can be viewed from the top path as well.

10. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

now i mean make it so people can only be at ground level, and look up at the birds and "possible" mouse deer at ground level

11. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

it would be nice to see the heritage fabric of this part of the zoo retained and enhanced. trying to theme this part of the zoo geographically would be good but diifcult, in fact the option explored by the master plan and probably most sensibly too is to emphasise the heritage nature of this precinct.
    if taken to include the floral clock, seal pools, elephant temple, monkey enclosure, moore park aviary, nicobar aviary, gibbon pond, the PNG aviary, aquarium entrance and stone bridge/staircase, you can see this central part of the zoo represents a tricky situation, perhaps the best option is to restore all the features and work around the theme of heritage. i would like to see the PNG aviary and Nicobar aviary returned to their former glory with approtriate displays, as well as the moore park aviary...if i had my way siamang would be on that island overlooking gung in the crocodile pool.
    the seal pool should be emptied and re-interpreted, so too the old spider monkey exhibit. as with the elephant temple. even though none of these exhibits are satisfactory long-term in meeting animal welfare, they should be preserved. the redevlopment of the elephant temple into its new purpose as a museum is wonderful and very popular.

12. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

I realise I'm coming very late to this discussion but when I was doing work experience in February '06 I asked why there were no animals and no plans for this exhibit and was told that the pillars in there sometimes collapse and that the whole building is very unstable. I don't know whether it is Heritage-listed; it's not marked as such on the zoo map.

13. boof

Fix it up or get rid of it.