Join our zoo community

old-school zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Ciololo, 23 Dec 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ciololo

Ciololo Member

Greetings All,
    first of all i wanna say that i want the best possible conditions for all the animals, naturalistic exhibits and etc..
    but in the past few months i have big interest in old-school style exibits with cages, wire mesh
    i like to watch how some zoo's creates exhibit in small space with a lot of branches and plants. I found a lot interesting photos, most of them in europe like:
    Outdoor monkey cages in Poland lodz zoo
    http://www.zoochat.com/461/outdoor-monkey-cages-94125/
    or Inside the old Primate house in Vienna zoo
    http://www.zoochat.com/107/inside-old-primate-house-75155/

So if you have some thoughts or examples of old style zoo's just name them.

p.s. thx zoochat for impresive photo gallery and good luck in 2010years!!!

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Ah, I like this sort of thing too :D
    London zoos reptile and bird house for example, I know they're not really "old school" but their architecture certainly is. I prefer zoos like that, not theme parks and "window displays" lol.
    Edit: By the way, this thread WILL cause controversy, I imagine among people from the US :p

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Well, I consider it a guilty pleasure. I love the look of beautiful old zoos, the architecture, the detail. I am not comfortable watching animals in such confines, but I still love the style!:eek:

4. James27

I don't know, the Vienna monkey house doesn't really look cramped (assuming there's outdoor enclosures too), I've definitely seen smaller.

5. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

As long as they provide a happy life for the animals that live inside them, then I'm fine with them. Howletts and Port Lympne are the best example of this, and the fact that Cotswold blends it's enclosures with it's estate setting is one of the best things about it. Infact, my top 6 collections are either mostly or partially designed with regards to function: Marwell, the New Forest, Longleat, Port Lympne, Howletts and Cotswold.

The best case IMO is when a simple, functional exhibit seems natural without ££££ and fake rock. These include Marwell's African Valley, Port Lympne's Tapir Paddock and the New Forest's Lynx Enclosure.

Here's a post related to it I made in another similar thread:
    Of course, the REALLY traditional enclosures are NOT suitable.

6. James27

We're talking about the REALLY traditional ones, like the pictures linked above. I don't think it's fair to say they're all unsuitable.

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I suppose the real old-school example is the Jardin des Plantes in Paris. It's been a long time since I was there, but I remember the atmoshere of the old buildings vividly.
    Of course it would be unacceptable today to keep animals in the same way that they were kept 100 years ago (with one or two exceptions, perhaps). This doesn't mean that the old enclosures cannot be used, provided that they can be refurbished and a suitable species can be identified.
    In some cases they can be left unoccupied as reminders of the old days, or given alternative functions like the old raven's cage and the Decimus Burton camel house at ZSL.
    In general, I still think that zoo buildings should be built with the expectation of demolition within 40 years.

Alan

8. zoogeek

zoogeek Well-Known Member

At the Lincoln Park Zoo, the Bird House was built in 1904, the Lion House, 1912; the Reptile House (now a food court), 1923 and the Primate House, 1927. We're a city known for its architecture. These buildings will never be torn down.

The last old-fashioned cage on the east end of the Primate House was torn down when the Regenstein Center for African Apes was built in 2004. The cage wasn't used but was there to show visitors how animals used to be exhibited.

9. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Both Berlin Zoos are totally old-school zoos ; no wonder, the director is a man from the past and collects animals as like as other people stamps...I know, lovers of biiiig animal COLLECTIONS lloving both places, because for these people its more important so see diffrent rare species as much as possible than a good welfare of them...

10. James27

Not for me, but I still like the place. Loads of it seriously out of date but some of it is fine.

11. Ciololo

Ciololo Member

i remember my childhood, i was grabbing a lot of candies from candy shop and was running near a lot of cages with monkeys, damn it is shame to tell this but most of my candies was used not for myself:D Now i am zookeeper in same zoo and i am happy when my animal is sleeping somewhere in the brush, he is safe and has place to hide.
    But i think in these day's zoo's attracting not that much kids like before, because kids have less patience like us, they want everything close and clear.