Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Old species at Chester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Writhedhornbill, 11 May 2007.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is a picture of the adjutant storks on page 14, Chester Zoo News March 1964. I don't know where the argus pheasant is.

I've not met the current librarian. I knew Lynn Wilkinson, the first one, she is Roger's wife. She was very helpful too.

Good news about the tamarins, babies next year I hope.

2. James Barber

James Barber Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cheetahs were also kept previously at Chester.

James

3. bongorob

Thanks James, I've checked the carnivores file and Cheetahs are listed.

4. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This listing is fascinating - I have been playing around with something similar for mammals but I'm amazed that you've managed to put together a list for all species. The notes seem to be missing from birds 1a and some of 1a is repeated at the start of 1b. The latter is fine but I would be interested in the notes for 1a.

5. bongorob

Thanks for pointing this out Rob. I was certain I had checked all the files before I posted, obviously I was wrong.

Anyway here are the missing notes for birds 1a (I don't know how to edit the previous post)

NOTES
    1. This is probably not a valid subspecies, but is the name used by the zoo.

2. This bird was received in a very weak condition after being blown to the UK by strong winds, and died shortly after arrival at the zoo. It was found in Shropshire, approximately 70 miles from the coast, by a farmer who first thought it to be a crow.

6. robmv

That's great. One other minor query:

Vitelline Masked Weaver (Ploceus velatus) * 1965; 1968; 1977-1978 check in AR

I assume this is a taxonomy query - Vitelline Masked Weaver (Ploceus vitellinus) or African Masked Weaver (Ploceus velatus). Have you managed to check this one? (my annual reports only go back to 1981).

7. bongorob

Another mistake. Well spotted.

For 1965 and 1968 the zoo kept birds described as P.vitellinus. Probably in 1966 and 1967 also.

For 1977 and 1978 P.velatus is listed.

It's possible the birds listed for 1965 are the same species as listed in 1978 when the last one left the collection. Many animals were re-identified during their stay at Chester.

If this is the case then which of the two identities is correct I can't say.

I will update the records in the spring of 2008 and try to put right anything you or anyone else brings to my attention.

8. robmv

Sorry to be a pain - it's really helpful to have this list to refer to (every time I walk around the zoo we have some sort of conversation about whether the zoo ever kept this or that species, or when a species left the collection).

A new addition for the list - Yellow Mongoose (Cynictis penicillata) have appeared in the old bush dog enclosure in place of the second Banded Mongoose group.

9. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Thanks Robmv. I didn't know about them. I've only seen them at Lille zoo in France. They were kept with a pair of Porchipines.

10. bongorob

It's no trouble. I did a lot of research compiling the lists, but if anyone has any furthur information I would be pleased to put it in the next update.

I also did not know about the yellow mongoose. They're becoming almost as common as meerkats, it seems. Sorry, I can't yet help furthur with the weavers.

11. bongorob

It's no trouble. I did a lot of research compiling the lists, but if anyone has any furthur information I would be pleased to put it in the next update.

I also did not know about the yellow mongoose. They're becoming almost as common as meerkats, it seems. On my last visit a small cage had been placed near to the entrance to the den, and the banded mongoose labels had been removed.

In 1975 and 1976 when I started to visit the zoo regularly I made lists of what was on exhibit at the time. How I wish I still had them.

Sorry I can't help any furthur with the weavers yet.

12. bongorob

I note that 3 people have downloaded the pigeons file. The mystery bird referred to in note 2 has now been identified as Large Brown Cuckoo Doves (Macropygia phasianella) and not
    Pied Cuckoo Doves (Reinwardtoena browni).

13. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

this is really interesting and amazing. i never knew Chester had such rare animals like Drills and Echidnas.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Lol, I expect Chester has had EVERYTHING!!!