Join our zoo community

Old world monkeys in Latin American zoos

Discussion in 'Central & South America - General' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 19 Aug 2020.

1. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The Volta Redonda zoo held some sacred baboons and according to their website, they had rhesus macaques. The La Aurora zoo (Guatemala city, Guatemala) has some Japanese and rhesus macaques (unsure about the status of those, I found pictures of them on their Instagram account), as well as some olive baboons. The Auto Safari Chapin (Escuintla, Guatemala) probably holds some rhesus macaques (once again, I saw a picture on their Instagram account).

2. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Both the Complexo Ambiental Cyro Gevaerd (Balneário Camboriú, Santa Catarina, Brazil) and the Parque Tamatán (probably not a zoo anymore and it was located in Ciudad Victoria, Mexico) had baboons back in the 1990's, as you can see in these videos:

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  3. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoológico Tamatan still exists and has a decent website. However Baboons are no longer listed.The zoo was completely remodeled and no longer looks like the video shown.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2021
  4. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The current zoo was opened in 2004. The place in the video is Parque Tamatán.

5. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Eliseu was indeed an olive baboon. Back in 1998, the zoo moved the male to another island, far from the one where the sacred baboons lived in order to avoid interbreeding. After moving him, the Rio de Janeiro zoo sent a female called Jaqueline to live with him, but it did not and he got depressed, stopped eating, got pneumonia and died in the same year the romance started.

6. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that Jaqueline was sent back to Rio de Janeiro after Eliseu's death.

7. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The Emperor Valley zoo (Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago) keeps/kept mandrills and green monkeys. Strangely enough, the zoo also holds at least a single red kangaroo, a female chimpanzee called Sudi, Malayan flying foxes, warthogs, giraffes (probably Rothschild's) and white lions and tigers.

8. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

I recomend that we make a list of all the zoos in the continent that we find out that keeps old world monkeys, and update it from time to time (something like one update each 10 posts or something).
    I'll try to make one from all the species and zoos we already discovered, and post it here until next week.

9. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I found out that the Sorocaba zoo kept at least a single patas monkey, as you can see in this video:

10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Another thing I found out is that the Cachoeira do Sul (Rio Grande do Sul state, Brazil) zoo keeps a rhesus macaque, as you can see in this video from 2019:

Last edited: 1 Mar 2021
  11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes, it is now long deceased and a taxidermy specimen if I remember correctly.

12. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The now closed Vila Isabel zoo (the former Rio de Janeiro city zoo) kept some Old World monkeys, like baboons (unspecified species), mandrills and grivets.

13. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

According to the National Primate Center's website, they have grivets as well. The institution is located in the city of Belém (Pará state, Brazil).

14. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The rhesus macaque living at the Brusque zoobotanical park is a female and her name is Maria Clara. The mandrills living there are father and daughter. Katully, the older mandrill, arrived at the institution along with Karmina (the younger female's mother) in 2001. They came from an ilegal breeding center, where they were bred in order to have their infants sold to circuses and the black market.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2021
  15. David Matos Mendes

As I posted previously in this thread, "Katully" and his mate "Karmina" are parents of most of the mandrills in brazilian institutions. He lives nowadays with his daughter "Katarina", and she receives anticoncepcionals.
    Great to know about the rhesus macaque individual in there. I didn't know if it was a female or a male. Hope she has a good destiny. Maybe going to another zoo that keeps her with more individuals of the species, or even Brusque receiving more macaques to live with her...

16. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I'd say the best option for her is to be sent to the Butantan Institute, where she'll be kept with a huge group of animals from the same species.

17. David Matos Mendes

Yes, well said. I almost forgot about that group in Butantan.

18. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

There are still crab-eating macaques at the Bioparque do Rio.

19. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The São Paulo zoo kept a male mandrill in the 1960s, as you can see in this video:

20. David Matos Mendes

One more great video you've shared. Things have changed drastically since then, fortunately.
    Once I saw a very old picture of SP zoo that shows a mandrill in this exact same cage. The zoo probably didn't continue keeping the species in the more recent times, as I've never seen any pictures or mentions to Mandrillus sphinx in there besides this picture I mentioned.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.