Join our zoo community

Old world monkeys in Latin American zoos

Discussion in 'Central & South America - General' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 19 Aug 2020.

1. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I should mention that under current Mexican law primates May only be imported for medícal or scientific purposes. This puts Great limits on zoos

Last edited: 28 Sep 2020
  2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes I agree, it is an unfortunate law indeed.

However, there could be a silver lining to it in some ways as it means that zoos within the country could focus much more on the ex-situ conservation of the native howler and spider monkeys.

3. carlos55

I did see that lángur at Chapultepec, he was very large and Lived in a rather small cage

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Very interesting !

This would have been a bit before the remodeling program of the zoo. People have told me about how bad Chapultepec used to be prior to redevelopment so I can only imagine how terrible his cage was.

The colleague of mine who told me about this monkey began work around the early 90's so didn't know where he originally came from. I do wonder what his story was.

5. carlos55

At Havana zoo i Saw red eared guenon, vervet monkey, rhesus monkey, long tailed macaque And bear macaque. Sadly, the primates had very outdated cages, except for 2 Islands.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Sad about the state of Havana Zoo I agree.

Cuba seems to have formed some very interesting connections with other countries around the world which lead to some quite unusual species reaching the National zoo.

7. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

A few days ago I discovered a pair of Gabon talapoins at Belo Horizonte zoo. Some more friends for the list of this thread :D

8. David Matos Mendes

BH zoo's biologist who is responsible for the mammals is in vacations. When she gets back, I'm gonna have more information about the story of these monkeys to share here... I'm actually curious about where they came from... Does anybody knows any other zoo that keeps talapoins in Latin america?

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Do you know where these animals originally came from ? (I'm thinking probably from Angola considering the connections between Brazil and that country)

Personally, I can't think of any other examples of talapoin monkeys in captivity in Latin America but there might well be some out there (I think Cuba would probably be the only other country with connections to Africa to obtain them).

Last edited: 17 Oct 2020
  10. David Matos Mendes

No idea where they came from... Friends from the zoo's staff told me they've been there for a while, but not in exposition; probably because of the lack of exhibits for them in the visitors area. I realized the golden-headed-lion-tamarins were put together with the feline night monkeys, so an exhibit in the zoo's small primate row was free to house the talapoins.

Definitely gonna try to discover their story...

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

It could well be quite an interesting story, maybe they were originally obtained from a sanctuary in Angola or something like that.

12. David Matos Mendes

Yeah, that would be nice to know... Definitely gonna ask them

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, its a good idea.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The CITES trade database says 16 Miopithecus talapoin were imported to Brazil in 1989 from Belgium, originating in Cameroon. These would have actually been M. ogouensis (the species at Belo Horizonte) which was not described as a separate species at the time.

They have also been kept at ZooPark Brasil Nova Iguacu, from which Belo Horizonte obtained animals (see https://journals.plos.org/plosntds/...id=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pntd.0007313.s001). That document says that BH got two males from there in 1990 and 1992 - given how close these dates are to the 1989 import on the CITES database, that place was probably the importer.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Interesting Chlidonias, Thanks for sharing !

I imagine that these individuals that David has seen could have been the offspring of or maybe even one of the original imported animals (though they would really be ancient by now).

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The paper is from 2019 and from the ages given (27 and 29) it looks like the two animals mentioned are the same two animals still at the zoo.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Possibly they may be the last surviving individuals of the Belgium importations to Brazil.

18. David Matos Mendes

My god! How could you discover all that! :D:D

Thank you for the super precise informations. Really wanted to know more about them.

Look at this that I found in wikipedia: The highest recorded age of an animal in captivity was 28 years, while the life expectancy in the wild is not well known.

I bet we've got a new record then, cause for the informations given, I don't see another possibility.

19. David Matos Mendes

This zoo in Nova Iguaçu no longer exists, so if the other individuals are not dead, they might be in other zoos around. (probably outside Brazil, once I don't think other zoos in the country keep these animals)

20. David Matos Mendes

Searching in CITES trade, I could also find out that two Siamang individuals were imported from Germany in 2007. I think these might be the ones in Goiania zoo