Join our zoo community

Old world monkeys in Latin American zoos

Discussion in 'Central & South America - General' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 19 Aug 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Well done David !

Very interesting to find out as it finally solves the mystery of these individuals life stories.

So they were originally from Germany... but how sad that they came all that way and are now stuck on that inadequate little island.

I really do think that they need to be moved to BH zoo.

2. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't imagine a motive for them to come from Germany, once I sincerely don't think Goiânia zoo has a good international reputation. At least not good enough to receive any animal from the european zoos...

Gosh, my biggest happines would be if they came to BH... :D

Let's see if Goiânia's staff solve this issue in this renovation they are doing. I hope they realize there are some animals they can no longer keep if they want to improve the place, just like Rio zoo is doing.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, it seems a bit weird to me too that they would go to the effort of importing a pair of siamang and then not really do anything with them.

I really hope they can resolve it, would be nice to see this pair live a better life.

4. David Matos Mendes

Yes, totally agree. Even if they came in 2007 as adults, there might be still time for they to be part of a nice reproduction program

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, or even if they don't breed , just to live a better quality of life at BH zoo.

6. David Matos Mendes

Yeah, once having hamadryas baboons as nextdoor neighbours might not be very nice at all... Besides the small area of the enclosure...

7. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw in past zoo chats the overpopulations of hamadryas baboons in Uruguay zoos. Why breed them in Brazil ?

8. David Matos Mendes

Ah, we're not actually talking about the baboons, but the siamangs who live next them, in a lake with some primate islands :). My last reply really had another possible interpretation, but we were actually discussing about the siamangs that live in Goiânia zoo, and I just mentioned that the baboons might not be the best neighbour one can get... Besides having a quite small exhibit, a territorial animal right next would make welfare and, consequently, reproduction even harder to achieve.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

At Goiânia zoo there is a pair of siamang kept on an island that is both far too small and far too close to another island which has a group of male hamadryas baboons. Both the inadequate size of the island and the proximity to such a territorial and aggressive species such as these baboons seems to be causing a lot of distress to the siamangs.

Me and David have often discussed on the forum that we believe that these gibbons would be better off housed at Belo Horizonte zoo where there is much more room for a suitable enclosure and less stressful stimuli in their immediate surroundings.

10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The zoo in Rio de Janeiro keeps yellow and sacred baboons and rhesus macaques. I don't know if they still keep Japanese and crab-eating macaques and vervet monkeys. I'm going to visit the zoo in Volta Redonda for the first time next Sunday so I'll tell you guys which species of primates they keep there.

11. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The Natal Aquarium keeps sacred baboons and crab-eating macaques

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  12. David Matos Mendes

Good point, Enzo. If I'm not wrong, Rio zoo also keeps chacma baboons.

Tell us what you think about Volta redonda zoo when you visit it. I was supposed to have been there last year but couldn't do it because of the lack of time... Also, if you can post pictures of it in the zoochat gallery, so that we can know how it looks.

13. David Matos Mendes

I didn't know Natal aquarium held so many non-aquatic animals! It seems it's quite similar to SP aquarium when talking about the standards of the species population plans.

14. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I don't think they have ever kept chacma baboons

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  15. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

According to the Pomerode Zoo's website, they keep at the moment: olive baboons, Japanase macaques and patas monkeys

16. David Matos Mendes

I think we haven't made the baboon / guenon individuals list, so let's start: (I'm gonna start considering only Brazil, everyone feel free to update this list with the other countries that also hold any species of the mentioned animals)

Brazil:

Belo Horizonte zoo: Gabon talapoin. (two male individuals)

Brasilia zoo: Hamadryas baboons (couldn't see any baboon when I visited, but I know the zoo keeps a big group.) and japanese macaques (small reproductive group)

Goiânia zoo: Hamadryas baboons and olive baboons (small reproductive groups of both species)

Rio zoo/ bioparque do Rio: Hamadryas baboons and yellow baboon (a male hamadryas and a female yellow)

Teresina zoo: olive baboon (a single female individual)

Zoo Pomerode: olive baboons, japanese macaques and patas monkeys (who knows any information about how many individuals they keep, tell us here)

Zoo curitiba: Hamadryas baboons (small reproductive group)

I'm sure there are individuals and institutions missing here, so please, feel free to update the list.

17. David Matos Mendes

I'm sorry, I was actually wrong. Just checked out and saw they only keep a male hamadryas and a female of yellow baboon.

18. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Instituto Butantan keeps a group of rhesus macaques

19. David Matos Mendes

Didn't know about that! You made me remember that Brusque zoo, in Santa Catarina, also holds a single rhesus macaque.

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, it is a fairly large breeding group of rhesus macaques there at Instituto Butantan and they now have an excellent enclosure too.