Join our zoo community

Old world monkeys in Latin American zoos

Discussion in 'Central & South America - General' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 19 Aug 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

At the start of the thread I made a small list of zoos that have guenons and colobus but it is far from complete so feel free to take the data and make a larger list for multiple countries.

2. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Ah yes, sure; I didn't remember you actually made this list, sorry. Gonna update it and let it open for more people to edit.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

No, don't worry , but one thing that would be good to determine is whether species kept in the past are listed too ?

I think past holdings should be personally as it records zoo history, right ?

Also I recommend starting a thread for lemurs currently kept and kept in the past at Latin American Zoos as this would also be quite interesting.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  4. David Matos Mendes

Yeah, it definitely would be nice to add historical animal holdings too; and the lemur thread would be very nice too! Mostly because I will learn a lot with it, once I know practically nothing about the history of the lemurs in Brazil nor anywhere else in S. America.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

To add to the list of old world monkeys there are green monkeys held at Zoodom in the Dominican Republic.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Tonkean macaque at Morelia zoo in Mexico (probably the only in Latin America) and several institutions hold Japanese macaque and rhesus macaques in Mexico too.

7. David Matos Mendes

I remember watching a video from guadalajaran biologist "Dana Ventura" showing lion-tailed macaques in GDL zoo. It was some years ago, so I'm not sure if they still keep them.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, these macaques are definitely still there.

They also have some other Old World monkey species that are only found in this zoo and nowhere else in Latin America too like De Brazza's guenons.

9. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I visited Guadalajara zoo last year I only saw 1 De brazza’s monkey. I did not. See any lion tail macaque. The monkey land area has guinea baboons, patas monkeys and vervet monkeys in breeding groups.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Wow, that is very strange indeed. I wonder where these animals went to. :confused: o_O

11. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Since these macaques were elderly they may simply be off exhibit. That little roundhouse style exhibit they were kept in was not very adequate anyway. The new monkey land enclosures are much better.

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I see, perhaps these animals were retired from a zoo in the United States and sent to Guadalajara zoo.

13. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Correction: Bioparque do Rio does not keep sacred baboons. The male baboon kept there, whose name is Chack, is not a sacred baboon, as David and I thought. He is actually a Guinea baboon (Papio papio).

Last edited: 15 Nov 2020
  14. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I took a better look at this thread. I've seen you guys talking about a zoo in Nova Iguaçu. Nova Iguaçu is the city where I live (since I was born). I asked my parents about the zoo's existance and they said they didn't know a single thing about it. I tried to search about the zoo on the internet but also nothing. Does anyone here have any information about the place? I know it's been closed and I read the file where the talapoins are mentioned.

15. David Matos Mendes

Hmmm maybe the motive I initially thought he was a chacma baboon was because of his name. I seem to remember hearing this name once, so I confused it with the name of the species.
    Otherwise, I'm in doubt about his real species. I had never actually observed him very well before, but looking at him now, he does look like a guinea baboon in some aspects, but his eyes and skin tone have a weird hamadryas baboon style. Would somebody here consider the possibility of him being a hybrid or something?
    [​IMG]
    Picture: Guilherme Cazé - RioZoo

16. David Matos Mendes

Yes, indeed I had never heard about the existance of this zoo before I read that file about the talapoins. Belo Horizonte zoo's staff confirmed me all the data presented here about these monkeys, so the Nova Iguaçu zoo seems to have actually existed.

Couldn't find any information about it too, I've also searched about it a few days ago. That's weird even your parents didn't know about it. I'm considering the possibility of this zoo was a reserved private collection instead of a public facility.

17. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Understandable. During the 1950's the zoo had a large group of baboons, as you can see in this video:

The narrator says the monkeys kept there are from the Papio papio species, but you can clearly notice their similarities with the ones from the Papio hamadaryas species.
    Also, I'd like to share a file from Unirio which explains us a little bit more about the history of the zoos in the world and in Brazil, but the main focus were the ones in the city of Rio de Janeiro:
    http://www.unirio.br/ppg-pmus/jose_alberto_pais.pdf
    The document shows us a list which contains most of the animal species and specimens obtained by the institution, from 1951 to 1990. You can notice that sacred baboons have been brought to the zoo since the 1950's.

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Great post Enzo ! Interesting information indeed.

19. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The video was probably recorded in 1957, since both female elephants (Nelly and Suzy) present arrived at the zoo in 1955, Britador and Teresinha (the two black rhinos brought from Kenya in 1949) were still alive (Britador's death was in 1958, so it wouldn't make sense for him to appear in the video if it was recorded after 1957/1958) and Cacareco (yes, Cacareco, the black rhinoceros!) appears as well (she was born in 1954 and she looks kind of big in the video, so I presume she was three years old when the video was recorded). Other reasons include Pata-choca, Cacareco's younger sister, she was born in January 1958 and she does not appear in the footage and Quindim, a hippo calf born in the 1950's).

Last edited: 15 Nov 2020
  20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Cacareco was the rhino that became a political figure in São Paulo during the protest vote wasn't she ?