Join our zoo community

Oldest southern white rhino alive??

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by David Matos Mendes, 7 May 2022.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Hello everyone.

I'm starting this thread in order to find information about the oldest southern white rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum simum) kept under human cares around the world. On april 4th, a female of this species became 52 years old here at the Belo Horizonte zoo, wich is one of the largest and most highly regarded zoos in Brazil. I highly suspect this female could be one of the oldest individuals (if not the oldest one) of C. simum simum living around nowadays.

Any information of individuals of any species of rhino that have reached more than said age and are still alive would be very interesting. Below, we have pictures taken by me of mentioned individual, whose name happens to be "Luna". Also, pictures of the exhibit where she's been living for the last 50 years of her life.

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In terms of rhinos that have exceeded 52 years of age, Toby was 54 years of age when he died at Parco Natura Via in 2019.

54-Year-Old Grandpa Toby, the World's Oldest Known White Rhino, Dies at Italian Zoo

———————

The oldest living Sourhern white rhinoceros in Australasia turns 39 this year. He’s a bull named Stumpy, who lives at Orana Wildlife Park. Interestingly, the eldest (verified) cow in the region also lives at Orana Wildlife Park. It’s an open range zoo.

upload_2022-5-8_7-26-2.jpeg

upload_2022-5-8_7-26-43.jpeg

Source of both photos: Hub 4 Orana Park Trip

3. RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe

RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe Well-Known Member

Polly and Dolly at Zoo Knoxville both turn 54 years old this month.

4. David Matos Mendes

Yeah, I had knowledge of this individual. Indeed it's an interesting one, but I was wondering about the existance of living rhinos that have exceeded 52.

5. David Matos Mendes

This seems to be a very interesting institution in therms of exhibitry. How many rhinos do they keep nowadays?

6. David Matos Mendes

Oh, I see. So we already have two individuals that find their places before "Luna" in the list. Are these the oldest rhinos in the US? There's a high chance that they are the oldest living ones in the world now, am I right? Also, considering the individual in Parco Natura Viva lived until 54, the ones in Knoxville might soon become the oldest ones ever. At least that's what it seems.

7. Zoofan15

Orana Wildlife Park’s exhibit consists of a large open field. They seem to do well in terms of longevity, though due to various reasons have never bred well.

This is their current population:

1.0 Stumpy (Thomas x Tdnandi) 17-07-1983
    0.1 Utani (Mandhla x Mfolozi) 08-07-1984
    0.1 Katala (Wild x Wild) 00/00/1997
    0.1 Tamu (Memphis x Sabie) 22-12-2002

Stumpy is an underperforming bull. He sired his first and only calf to Tamu in 2018, which died the week it was born. There’s been no further breeding success. Utani bred once in 1999 with another bull, who also sired two calves with Tamu in 2010 and 2015. Katala has never bred.

Excitingly, Orana Wildlife Park are about to participate in a mass import of 35 Southern white rhinoceros from South Africa. They’ll be quarantined at Orana, with some retained for breeding; and the rest sent on to Australian zoos: Orana Wildlife Park :: The Australian Rhino Project

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  8. David Matos Mendes

That is great to know a bit of the history of these animals in this particular zoo. Also, the project seems really great. How many rhinos will stay in Orana in the end? I would say this import is definitely bringing an interesting future for the species in Australia/New Zealand.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  9. David Matos Mendes

Unfortunately, Luna has died of old age related complications at the age of 53. The oldest rhino to ever live in Brazil, and one of the oldest in the world.

10. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

And Barcelona Zoo's "Pedro" just died yesterday at what the zoo stated was 53-54 years, though his actual age was most likely over 60!
    Two very elderly White Rhinoceroses dead in two days.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  11. David Matos Mendes

Wow, such a big coincidence! What big losses for both institutions, and for the zoo world in general.

12. Zoofan15

Australian Rhino Project (Import of 35 wild rhinos)

Orana Wildlife Park currently have three female Southern white rhinoceros (including the oldest verified rhino in the region at 39 years), with plans to import an additional 35 through the Australian Rhino Project (most of which will be sent on to Australia) after a 12 month quarantine in New Zealand.

Final numbers are unconfirmed as any rhinos that arrive pregnant would remain at Orana. They don’t want rhinos travelling heavily pregnant or with newborn calves. The rhinos will arrive in batches of 15, 10 and 10 and the original plan was for Orana to keep some from each shipment. I imagine Orana’s final number will be around 2.6 adults.

The import has been delayed repeatedly. According to one source, the first batch were due to arrive March 2022. I also believe @Zorro has mentioned before plans to import a larger number that has since been downsized to the current plans for 35.

Due to these delays, other zoos have since had time to review their holdings and Auckland Zoo has now confirmed plans to expand their rhino exhibit into the elephant complex (increasing their capacity by three). I imagine they’d now be aiming for a population of around 10 rhinos and I’ll be watching with interest to see if they receive any South African imports.

Zorro likes this.
  13. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If I remember it correctly the project was started by a private person back in 2013, There were a few TV interviews and magazine articles about it in the early days, From what I can remember the original plan was for a group of 80 to be imported in a number of batches.It appears the number has shrunken several times over the years to its current number.Ten years later and still the waiting goes on, I seem to remember a number of fund raisers being done but nothing to show for it so far.

I really hope this import does happen but after trying to follow it for a decade now I am beginning to have some doubts.

I have seen online news that one South Africa farmer has over 2000 White rhinos for sale so I assume they are not in short supply.

I also had read online that there were a group of American ranchers
    were looking at a group import of 1000 White rhinos, wether its pie in the shy stuff or not I don't know!

Zoofan15 likes this.