Join our zoo community

Oliver/Scooper the Hybrid Orangutan

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MagpieGoose, 5 Sep 2016.

1. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was recently reading the 2012 Orangutan Studbook and came across the male Oliver/Scooper who was born at Twycross to dad Jod (Bornean) & mum Trudy (Sumatran). I think this is the male mentioned in Molly Badham's book? According to the studbook after returning to Twycross from Chester he went to Rushden (I believe an animal dealer) and then to Brentwood (Private Zoo?) and then went to Belgium (no more specific than that) on the 20th of February 1991. Does anyone have any information on what happened to him? Thanks, Ed

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

He didn't go to Monde Sauvage did he? They have Orangs but I don't think he's one of the current ones. Maybe that's not where he went in Belgium though.

I think he was returned from Chester after being discovered to be hybrid. Of course after that he was moved around. 'Rushden' was the Animal Dealer. 'Brentwood' was a private owner who also had the Sumatran male 'Dagu who later went to Jersey.

Jod and Twiggy produced at least two further accidental hybrids (they mated through the mesh) that were sent to Zoo La Palmyre in France.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Monde Sauvage didn't keep Orangs in that time... Antwerp kept Orangs at that time, but zootierliste doesn't mention any arrival in 1991 from the UK... But that is maybe not very surprising as the EEP & ISB are the main source of info...

4. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Rushden was definately Ravensden Zoo Farm animal dealers.

Does anyone have any more details on this private collection at Brentwood?

Is it possible that the hybrid orang could have gone to Limbursge Zoo, Ghent, in Belgium ? In 1991 they still had orangs there apparently.

5. Pertinax

That was the other place I was trying to remember. ;) As mentioned above, the SB just lists 'Belgium' and nothing more.

6. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Limburgse had kept orangs for many years, the first arrived in 1970, then in 1971 a male Bornean called Bill (wild born in 69) arrived, but by the end of that year they actually had 5 orangs apparently. Bill was studbook registered in the 1993 studbook, but the others were not, but perhaps they were bought from dealers and so were not registered ? The c1991 guidebook mentions orangs still in the collection and when the zoo closed orangs were mentioned in the animals that departed but no details of individual animals or destinations are given. Though most of the stock was bought by dealers.
    So it is quite likely that the hybrid did go to Limburgse? My feeling is that if any major zoo in Belgium received an orang at that time it would be properly listed in the studbook - but Limburgse was a law unto itself.

7. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have found records from an old Orang Utan studbook that shows a male hybrid orang , born 12th April 1973 at Twycross , studbook number 1299 , at Rangoon Zoo . Could this be Scooper ? Edited - no this is not Scooper , see below .

I have checked the 2013 International Orang Utan Studbook where he is listed as Kya Kya , parents Jod and Trudie . He went to Gelsenkirchen ( think they acted as dealers as well as a zoo ) in November 1976 and to Rangoon in 1980 where he died on 14th July 1987 .

The only other Twycross hybrids I can find listed in the studbook are female 1426 Lotus , born 1975 , and male 1522 Borg , born 1976 , who both went to La Palmyre on 31st August 1978 ( the end of the summer holidays ! ) . Lotus died in 2009 and Borg , who had been neutered , in 2008 .

Scooper , studbook number 1993 , was born 14th November 1984 . I did not realise that hybrids were still being bred as late as that .

Last edited: 8 Sep 2016
  8. Pertinax

Trudie's mate Toby was a typical impressive male Sumatran- I saw him mating too- so its possible he was infertile, given all three babies were fathered by Jod. Later the dividing mesh between the two indoor exhibits was covered with plastic sheeting to prevent any further misalliances between Trudie and Jod.