Join our zoo community

Olmense Zoo Olmense Zoo News

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Gorilla Gust, 15 Sep 2008.

1. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member

Visited this zoo yesterday and after the stories about the closing by the government I was worried about what to find.
    There was some construction work going on. But still it's quiet outdated at many places.
    - Chimpansee were in a very poor exhibit
    - Stuffed animal collection could need a big clean and the skulls some rearangements as there were parts all over the place and several stuck between the shelfs of the cabinet and door.
    - I walked thru a walk thru aviary and got outsider to find out I was in an area I wasn't suppose to be. Not a terrible thing but still weird.
    - Pair of white lions had a small enclosure
    - I am no lion expert, but I expect it is not ideal to have a pair of lions directly besides a lone male lion and only have fence in between. I must say they roared a lot what is quiet a spectacle.
    - The windows from the lynx exhibit were so scrathed it was difficult to have a decent look at the animals
    - The individual kept panter (previous partner of Malik) was highly focused on all the dogs walking around. As I am no expert on this issue I wonder if it is a stress factor or a form of enrichment for the animal?
    - In general the aviaries were spacious.
    - The tropical hall was good.
    - The bear and wolve enclosures were spacious.
    - Some cranes were breeding and trying to get the visitors who came close to the enclosure.
    - I think the entrance fee of € 22,- (in summer) is not in balance with the general condition of the zoo. I hope this money will be spend well in the near future for new developments and improvements.

Kifaru Bwana and KevinB like this.
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

On Jan. 1 2 leopards were born at Pakawi Park ( the new name of the Olmense Zoo ). The young are so far raised by the mother - which is quite unusual for this park ).
    Article ( in Dutch ) with video :
    Pakawi Park verwelkomt twee panterwelpjes

3. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

I believe they are no longer allowed (or at least strongly discouraged) to hand raise big cat cubs. That was one of the things they got into trouble with in 2017 and one of the grounds the minister of animal welfare used to motivate the temporary closure.

Unfortunately sad news came from Pakawi Park (formerly the Olmense Zoo) as well. 19-year old white tigress Curry (the grandmother of Paka and Awi, born at Mondo Verde but now living at Pakawi Park, and in fact named after it) had to be euthanized as her quality of life could no longer be maintained. She was euthanized with all her keepers present.
    Pakawi Park Facebook post