Join our zoo community

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium News 2021

Discussion in 'United States' started by MidwestFan, 3 Jan 2021.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

2. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

The Simmons Aviary re-opens today and here are some more details from the zoo's website:

"Aviary's New and Improved Features

• Boardwalk features two perspectives of the birds, including over 375 feet of elevated walkway and over 365 feet of ground pathway.
    • Elevated walkway decking material is made of a composite wood that is eco-friendly and made of recycled materials. It is extremely durable and helps with long term maintenance.
    • Cable railing gives a more open view of the birds for everyone (including those in strollers and young children) and is extremely durable.
    • New benches along the boardwalk
    • New netting, including a sturdier center portion that will stand up to heavy snowfall.
    • Entrance and exit moved to one location, near the Asia entrance path and train crossing, so that visitors will not miss any other Zoo features as they explore the Aviary.
    • Beautiful landscaping by the Zoo’s Horticulture department.
    • Advanced sod and seeding system (seed roots grow into sandbags with growing media) around the pond to maintain the shoreline and shape.
    • Educational graphics focus on the theme of birding and different ways to identify birds (such as by color, feet shape, beaks, etc.).
    • Over 250 birds will live in the Aviary, including a mix of waterfowl (geese, ducks and a swan), flamingos, West African crowned cranes, White storks, Scarlet ibis, Hadada ibis, Waldrapp ibis, Straw-necked ibis, Roseate spoonbills, Snow egret, Cattle egret, Hamerkop, and Inca tern.
    • Not all birds will be in the Aviary immediately as each type of bird will move in as weather allows and so that birds can settle in gradually without too many disturbances.
    • All birds should be in the Aviary by next summer.
    • Some of the birds will live in the Aviary year-round, primarily the waterfowl.
      • Birds like the White storks and flamingos will also stay in the aviary, with access to their winter quarters as needed. "
    I bolded the species you can expect to see in there. I will be hoping to make a visit this afternoon to check it out and can grab some pictures. Also will try and identify what is on exhibit at this time as the post above mentions slowly introducing birds over the course of the year.

From a twitter post last night, it looks like in addition to the flamingos, there are Roseate Spoonbills and the egret species are on exhibit for sure.

3. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

Just got back from the zoo and posted 15 photos of the new aviary to the gallery.

In addition to the species list above, here are the other species of waterfowl that were signed in the aviary (bolded ones are currently on exhibit that I saw):
    • Black Necked Swan
    • Bar Headed Goose
    • Ruddy Shelduck
    • Cinnamon Teal
    • Marbled Teal
    • Red Crested Pochard
    • Redhead
    • Mandarin Duck
    • Rosybill
    • Northern Shoveler
    • Blue Winged Teal
    • Ringed Teal
    The ones from the list in my previous post that I saw on exhibit were:
    • Inca Tern
    • Scarlet Ibis
    • Straw Necked Ibis
    • Cattle Egret
    • Snowy Egret
    • American Flamingo
    Was glad the Inca Tern were on exhibit, they were the ones I was most looking forward to seeing. Saw at least three.

TinoPup, snowleopard and StoppableSan like this.
  4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the update and photos! It looks much nicer now. I do wish they had a bigger variety of uncommon species, but I guess everything is uncommon when you live in Nebraska.

5. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

No problem. And I agree about more uncommon species, but we will see what they do through the life of the aviary. But here’s the thing with the locals here, most do not care about birds at this zoo. The old aviary was by far the most passed over exhibit in the zoo. Everyone here gets blinders on for the big megafauna exhibits and don’t take the time for exhibits where they see “just a bunch of ducks”. I hear it all the time at the zoo. Even in the Lied Jungle, most don’t look for the birds, more people are interested in the tons of bats everywhere.

TinoPup likes this.
  6. TinoPup

I can't say I paid much attention to the aviary on my visit, either, but it was quite awful. The boardwalk was having some sort of issue so you couldn't walk all the way around, just a bit in each side. There weren't any species signs, either, just "ducks" and "ibises" and the like. It felt like the zoo didn't care at all about the aviary, so why should visitors? Hopefully that turns around.

StoppableSan and MGolka like this.
  7. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

There was a post in another thread for some new photos of the status of Gorilla Valley and I grabbed a couple today.

Outside facade.
    9EC92306-8D64-43E4-95DC-3F46BBAE64CE.jpeg

Lower Entrance plantings
    78FF684A-FCD3-4448-A3FC-2387EC91B6F4.jpeg

Lower Entrance Statue (may be relocated from the Upper Entrance)
    54F2D878-A7CD-4ED0-83A7-644966047204.jpeg

Caught a peek of the top of one of the new climbing structures in the larger bachelor yard.
    88C41932-B1C3-476E-9230-20E6DC89B1F6.jpeg

However, I have the feeling this will not open on August 6th as had been previously noted on the website and at the zoo. Now all mentions talk of “Early Fall” and I’m guessing this may be Labor Day (but don’t take my word for it). Between this and the Aviary being delayed multiple times this isn’t all too surprising. It is most unfortunate though for sure.

As someone who works with the construction field, this year the zoo has broken some general rules when stating when a project will be re-open by giving exact dates. If you aren’t 100% sure the project will open that day, you better not announce it or post it that way as now you will be flooded with complaints. A look at the 1-star review bombs from this year alone is a lot of complaints about things not being open and this certainly doesn’t help. (End my little critical rant).

8. FoxesAndFlowers

FoxesAndFlowers Active Member

My apologies if this is a bit of a dumb question, but does anyone know what is currently closed at the zoo? I’m making my first visit to Omaha later this week and I know the orangutan and gorilla exhibits will be closed but I was unsure if anything else was and I didn’t want to be caught off-guard.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. TinoPup

I believe the only other thing closed is the ground floor of Lied?

FoxesAndFlowers and StoppableSan like this.
  10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to their website, the Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom Pavilion is currently closed. The orangutan area is supposed to open August 7.

FoxesAndFlowers and TinoPup like this.
  11. FoxesAndFlowers

FoxesAndFlowers Active Member

Thank you both!! Very appreciated. Visiting on Monday so the orangutan area won’t be open for me unfortunately, hoping im not missing too much there.

StoppableSan and TinoPup like this.
  12. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

The zoo just put out a call for the start of their campaign to revamp the Desert Dome Plaza. Renderings show lots of plantings, refurb of side of Lozier Giant Screen Theater, expansion of seating of Oasis Grill, some event space. Sadly, the original plan for this area of making a new Komodo Dragon exhibit from the old master plan is not in the works.

Plaza (omahazoofoundation.org)

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Now, I know Omaha is a great zoo ... just that Desert Dome why not let it look more like cactus country or is that given Climategate a bit too ambitious? A covered domme Perhaps?

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. TinoPup

Cacti wouldn't do too well outside in Omaha for most of the year.

16. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Depends on the species. Believe it or not, there are multiple cacti species native to Nebraska.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. TinoPup

There are, but they're small, and native to the western prairies, not Omaha.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's two species native to Wisconsin. I have several growing in my yard.

wild boar and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

20. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I cannot express how excited I am to see what happens with the renovated gorilla enclosures at Omaha. I remember visiting them a few years ago and would love to see them again!

StoppableSan likes this.