Join our zoo community

Online Zoo Animal Databases

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 29 Jul 2014.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't know why the Zims/ISIS lists aren't accessible by the public anymore, they used to be. I think you can make requests for data on 'up to five species' at any time but that involves making specific enquiries and you can't just browse at your leisure anymore.:(

Approaches direct to Zoos, particularly 'education' or 'PR' departments often result in muted responses, possiby because they've been told by the zoo not to give out such information/ they aren't sure if they should be divulging such information or they don't have it to hand.

Having said that, I recently contacted a UK zoo with an enquiry about their specimens of a particular species, without much hope of anything but the usual brief reply, but they couldn't have been more helpful in providing a full answer for me. Rather unusual but very refreshing.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2016
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I came across a site new to me which covers all the apes kept in Japan - Great Ape Information Network

While adding it to the original post I checked out the database links to make sure they all still worked. A couple I had to fix because they had changed their addresses.

However I also found:

1) that Zoowise Inventory no longer works at all for me, or barely does so (and that was the sole Asian database!).

2) that Elephant Database is back under renovation.

3) that Sun Sentinel Marine Mammal Database no longer works (the search function just gives a "page not found" message).

4) and that the only other cetacean database - Ceta-Base - is being renovated and no longer has worldwide coverage (only North America) and the individual groups can no longer be searched for (now it solely lists by North American facility).

All unfortunate losses! If anyone sees where I've gone wrong above, then let me know.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2016
  3. Chlidonias

I found another site for captive cetaceans, which is worldwide.

As far as I can see you can only search by facility (in which case it gives you a list of animals at that place). I don't know how accurate or inclusive it is.

It also has a list of "all known captive species since 1861" (albeit still missing some), but it is just a list so you can't find out anything from that page.

Cetacean Cousins: Captive Cetacean Database, Eurasian Countries & Africa

I did wonder if this CetaCousin is in fact the same as (i.e. an updated version of) CetaBase but it appears to not be so.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2016
  4. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Just to be clear Species 360 is the new name of ISIS (International Species Inventory System), an organisation which had to change it's name for obvious reasons.

ZIMS is the name of their record keeping software, which replaced ARKS. ZIMS is a web based program while ARKS was a DOS based program, if anybody can remember DOS.

Think Microsoft Windows => Species 360 ZIMS.

5. Chlidonias

oh I'll fix that. I always called it ISIS, then started calling it ZIMS, and then just confused the two as the same thing with a different name.

Also, they appear to have changed the second I in ISIS to Informational. I had Inventory in there before but when I was correcting website addresses I had a look and it now says Informational so I changed it to that.

6. MRJ

ZIMS contains the animal data for over 600 zoos. This information dose not belong to Species 360 but to each individual zoo. Presumably they would need the permission of each zoo before releasing their data. By the way it is quite possible that the education or PR departments would know nothing about the record keeping system of their zoo, after all it is there for the use of the Life Sciences department, ie keepers, vets etc.

7. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's about time ISIS changed it's name.

May I ask a stupid question? I've been hoping this would clear itself up but I've been here a while now -- people often report zoos with #.# specimens what does the one after the point mean?

8. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

male.female(.unknown)

9. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So 2.1., for example is two males, one female?

Okay, that's pretty simple, thank you.

10. MRJ

Yes it is, but normally in the zoo world it would be written 2.1.0

11. Zygodactyl

Zygodactyl Well-Known Member

So does anyone have any idea why zoos don't want lists of all their animals to be publicly available? Is there any rational reason, or is it just secrecy for secrecy's sake?

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  12. MRJ

I don't think most would really mind at all. However there are over 600 institutional members of Global 360 and getting the yes or no from each of them would take time and money for an organisation that is not flush with either. And to be frank, members don't pay their membership dues to satisfy the curiosity of Zoochat members!

There is nothing to stop Zoochat members from setting up their own data base, using reports from members. There is a thread on the Australian forum listing zoo holdings of most mammals at least.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One option would be to open up a (supporting) membership category for individuals supportive of the mission, vision and goals of ISIS/ZIMS/Species360 WITH access to the database (or alternatively a CD-Rom annually end of year).

Well just a thought there.

As for prying eyes and to be - once more - a devil's advocate: I DO somehow agree most ZC members would have no business having any access to such a database. Admittedly, loads of other data / information databases outside zoological circles operate on a need-to-know / professional membership basis ..., so why not the ISIS/ZIMS?

Still, I DO hope they will review their policies sometime and open up at least registries' services as in the past before none too long.

14. Zygodactyl

Zygodactyl Well-Known Member

Many zoos don't even list all the animals they have on their websites, which is something I've always found odd. On one hand it can lead to some pleasant surprises. On the other hand, I missed seeing the kea and horned parakeet at the San Diego Zoo, because I didn't know it had them.

Van Beal likes this.
  15. rosie816

rosie816 New Member

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I'm currently trying to gain some data for births at Zoos in the UK. I've contacted several directly but haven't had much luck - are you able to tell me which Zoo you contacted successfully? Thanks!

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It was Colchester- I think my enquiry ended up with their animal recorder who was extremely helpful so you might try contacting her direct. Wherever you contact I would recommend only a few questions though as you are more likely to get responses that way.

17. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm a member of Colchester but live a good four hours away so I often email or tweet to ask for information or check how things are going and they always answer promptly and with quite a lot of information so it seems to be something they do well.

18. littlewallaby

littlewallaby Active Member

Orca Homepage is a database of strictly captive killer whales, living and deceased, with photo collections donated by the public for each individual. Animals can be organized in various ways such as aquarium, age, date of death and so on. There is even a list of "released or escaped orcas". Although the site clearly takes an anti-aquarium stance I've found the mathematical information to be extremely accurate, including ages of capture or death. It's regularly updated with news and photos, and probably the one of the few places you'll find multiple images of any whales in Asian countries, especially the recent collections in China and Russia.

19. TheAmurTiger

TheAmurTiger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good news! Ceta Base re-opened earlier this year. They also have news on what is currently happening on their facebook page.

Cetacean Cousins recently went down to undergo a second re-design, which sucks, I used their list of relatives quite often.

20. Chlidonias

Some notes on the list which I have just updated.

India's ZooWise Inventory search function now works for me once more.

The Elephant Database is running again.

The Sun Sentinel database still is missing.

Ceta-Base is indeed back, and much better-looking than before.

Cetacean Cousins is still gone (I've left it on the list in case it reappears).

I have added in littlewallaby's Orca page.

14027 likes this.