Join our zoo community

Online Zoo Animal Databases

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 29 Jul 2014.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've added a new database to the page: Petra Prager – Elefanten-Fotolexikon

It is for captive elephants worldwide, searchable by location or species/subspecies. Seems like a good site.

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I want to say something about JAZA(japanese association of zoo and aquarium).If you want to search about zoo in japan,this website might help.It is equal to zootierliste,but in Japan.When you are in JAZA,click "飼育動物検索"
    for species list in each zoo(orange button) and for which animal is hold in which zoo(green button,search scientific name).Also you can see a list of Japanese zoo when you click加盟園館検索

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Chlidonias

this is really useful - I didn't know this was possible, because it is all in Japanese!

I had a play around on the site and I think I've got it all figured out. I'll put an explanation below (next post to keep it separate). If others can follow my instructions and let me know if they are clear, and if they work, and most importantly if I missed out something obvious, that would be great. For example, I couldn't see any way to get a full listing of animals in the database, as is possible on Zootierliste.

Side-question: is it relatively easy for a Chinese-speaker to read kanji? I know there are differences between the Chinese hanzi and Japanese kanji, but the latter is derived from the former, so is it relatively easy for (say) @aardvark250 to navigate the site regardless?

Last edited: 16 Sep 2017
  4. Chlidonias

How to use the JAZA zoo database:

You can access species lists for the zoos, but it is difficult because it is all in Japanese kanji script. There doesn't appear to be any way to search while on the English part of the website. Go to this page of the site 飼育動物検索 | 動物園と水族館 on which you will see two coloured squares - green on the left (with the image of a search bar and magnifying glass) and orange on the right (with a map of Japan). Clicking on the green square enables you to search for individual species, while clicking on the orange square will provide you with a list of Japanese collections (albeit all in Japanese kanji) from which you can see animal holdings.

If searching for species, clicking on the green square will take you to a page where you can enter the scientific name of the animal into a search-bar. The results will show all animals with any word in the name (e.g. just putting in "concolor" will result in both "Puma concolor" and "Corydoras concolor"; while "Elephas maximus" will show results for all animals with either "Elephas" or "maximus" in their scientific name). You can restrict the search to particular fields (e.g. mammals, birds, fish, etc) using the picture boxes below the search-bar. On the list of results, clicking on the tab at the bottom right of each result will take you to a list of zoos holding that particular species (although all the zoo names are in kanji, not English). Clicking on any of those zoo names will take you to that particular zoo's website. There doesn't seem to be a way of seeing a full list of animals on the database - you need to search individually.

If clicking on the orange square, you will be taken to a colour-coded map of Japan's regions. Clicking on a region will give you a pop-up of all the zoos in that region - all in kanji script, not English. The name of the zoo you click on will appear underneath the map. Select which animal groups you want to include in your search (mammals is highlighted automatically when you select a zoo) and then hit the button to the right of the zoo name (under the right-hand corner of the map). You will then get a list of all the species (in your selected groups) which are at that zoo - most have a photo and all have a scientific name, so can be identified even if you cannot read kanji. The difficult part is finding a particular zoo because none of them are listed by their English names.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019
    amur leopard and BerdNerd like this.
  5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

First,Japanese didn't just use kanji,as you can see in the page.I can't read japanese so I can just guess the meaning.Also,as kanji is derived from old hanzi, people who use chinese(traditional) is more likely to understand kanji than people who use simplified chinese.I didn't use the site "relatively easy".Just go to the page JAZAについて and I can't understand most of it.I can just pick out the kanji and try to form them into a meaningful sentence.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

I found the new site for Cetacean Cousins (now .org instead of .com)
    Cetacean Cousins

It used to be an excellent site with coverage of current as well as historical holdings. The contents of the new site appear to be very limited but I'm not sure if this is due to it not being fully completed, or due to parts of it being "member only". About the only section which seems to work is the "Search our database" tab which gives lists of individual animals by personal name (and it seems you can only search by personal names: e.g. something like "bottlenose dolphin" gives zero results). Other tabs for facilities and species simply result in a "page not found" message.

7. Chlidonias

I've finally removed this as it hasn't been available for a long time.

However I came across a more recent version of the NOAA database (August 2016) as a Cetabase pdf. I've added this link to the listings in the original post. On the NOAA website, anyone can also request the database information. Note for the pdf, it looks like the data is arranged randomly, but it is actually alphabetical by Holder (to the right side of the table).

Pdf link: http://www.cetabase.org/downloads/docs/nmfs/mmir/complete-cetaceans-pinnipeds-20160809.pdf

NOAA page where there is a request link (at the bottom): Marine Mammal Inventory :: NOAA Fisheries

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It does seem like a good site, though it seems it's missing at least a few animals. There's a Bornean Elephant at Hannover in Germany and at Oregon in the US which are unlisted, and two of Cincinnati's elephants are Malaysian.

~Thylo

9. Chlidonias

Yup, it is a fairly new site so is still being filled. The main elephant site is still the best one and this is because it has been around for a long time and hence has built up its database over time. However it is regularly inaccessible. The third elephant site I have there doesn't appear to have been touched since 2014.

10. Chlidonias

WEB水族館|全国の水族館ガイド116施設
    This is a website of the Aquariums of Japan. It is entirely in Japanese kanji script (so I have no idea how comprehensive or current it is).

The link above will take you to the page listing the Aquariums of Japan. The word next to each blue dot is the region - e.g. Hokkaido, Honshu, etc - and the Aquariums are listed beneath each heading. Clicking on an Aquarium name will take you to a page describing that facility, and on that page there will be links to photos on a sister-site (a blog).

At the top left of the Aquarium Listings page (under the banner) there are two coloured bars. The top one will take you to a page for species held in Japanese Aquariums, albeit restricted to certain groups. See below for a description of how to use it. (When you go to that page, the top bar will then be for the page I discussed above, listing the Aquariums). The bottom bar relates to transport and is not important.

This is the page where you can find species in Japanese Aquariums: 水族館動物写真図鑑|WEB水族館

Not all of the following sections are searchable, but the first section is for marine mammals (in order: cetaceans, sirenians, pinnipeds, otters, polar bears, beavers). The second is for birds (penguins, waterfowl, etc). The third is for reptiles (turtles and snakes). The fourth is for amphibians (frogs and salamanders). The fifth is for marine fish (including sharks). The sixth is for freshwater fish. The seventh is for aquatic invertebrates. The eighth is for deepsea animals (fish and invertebrates).

There are clickable links for only some of these groups (in order from the top: cetaceans, pinnipeds [further separated into walrus, eared seals, and earless seals], sea otters, penguins, and sharks). However, for all of those that are there, clicking on the link will take you to a page with a photo of each species. Clicking on the link for a photo will give you a list of Aquariums holding that species.

Moorish likes this.
  11. DanaDanger

DanaDanger New Member

You can email the site owner, Petra. I've communicated with her in the past - I was hoping to help her get more info on the elephants at Africam Safari Mexico, but sadly my emails to the zoo went unanswered.

As far as I know it's just her managing the site, and it must be quite a bit of work.

She is especially interested in photos of elephants -- I think she is fairly particular that the photo is FOR SURE of the elephant in question, and is therefore hesitant to rely on photos published in news clippings.

12. alexkant

alexkant Well-Known Member

13. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If I got you right you are the editor of the page.

I really like the website. The deaign and so on.

The only thing what would make it even better is if you add fish and maybe even invertebrates to the database.

Are there any plans to do so?

14. alexkant

Hi! Unfortunately, I don't have a plans for fish and invertebrates. I don't really understand in it and do not have a time to deal with them. I just have a short visit in aquariums while visiting the zoos.

15. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

...and one of the very best zoo websites out there: fantastic photos from unusual zoos, with a hint of humour too (Alex’s photos of himself at each zoo he visits are a definite highlight!). Highly, highly recommended!

16. alexkant

Hi! Unfortunately, I don't have a plans for fish and invertebrates. I don't really understand in it and do not have a time to deal with them. I just have a short visit in aquar
    Thank you very much!

17. LARTIS

I asked if zootierliste could add invertebrates to the database to create more awareness for this important part of ecosystems and they confirmed that they will think about it

18. drill

drill Well-Known Member

A superb site. What are your plans for 2018?

19. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  20. LARTIS

@alexkant the new design of your website looks very good, a wonderful website

everybody who hasn't checked out zooinstitutes.com yet, I highly recommend to do so since it is one of kind

thumbs up