Join our zoo community

Online Zoo Animal Databases

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 29 Jul 2014.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

There are no animal lists on the site, so it isn't one I'll be adding to this thread. There are about 300 zoos and aquariums listed on the website though, with reviews and photos from many of them. There is also a news page (in the double row of white tabs across the top of the page, the first tab in the second row is the one for news from Japanese collections).

2. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How likely are you to get a response from Species360, I'm interested in Rhinos, Giraffes and Elephants (would probably have to pick a subspecies/species) as an area for a project on zoo record keeping for a master's degree at this stage I am just looking at options as I am not 100% committed to the idea and even then it would just be a proposal at first that may not even be approved. I am just wondering how feasible of an idea it would be looking at tracking how individuals are moved between collections.

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

JAZA has change their website. This is the new one.
    飼育動物検索 | 動物園と水族館
    It's still like the old one, with the green magnifying glass as searching by animals, and the orange map as searching by zoos. Just the website name has change.

Chlidonias likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

Thanks, I have changed the address in the list.

5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have some sad, sad news :(

Global species has been closed down, so we no longer have access to past ZIMS files :(

Also, although it doesn't matter any more, you could search by species on Global species, you just had to go to the front page of global species, press Animalia, etc. until you got to your animal (/search for it in the search bar) and further down the animal's page it would tell you what zoo held it. So it did work both ways... :)

6. Chlidonias

That's a shame, because it was nice to have those old records easily-available. However the old ISIS records (which are what were on Globalspecies) can still be accessed directly using the Wayback Machine.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Begs the question if and when a replacement is publically available on-line for the up-to-date current ZIMS/Species 360 version. Asking not much ..... right?

8. amur leopard

Does anyone know with any degree of reliability why exactly they made ZIMS no longer public?
    Seems counterintuitive, personally, but they must have their reasons...

9. Ashanti

Ashanti Active Member 5+ year member

I would assume it's to protect themselves from the animal activists. Certain people would collect information on animal deaths or statistics and use it for their own agenda, especially when they're followed by comments like "euthanised to make space for new bloodlines ect. ect.".

Rajang-GOAT, TinoPup and amur leopard like this.
  10. amur leopard

Ah.... I understand now.... kinda.

11. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I would assume that is one consideration. Another is that the data does not actually belong to Species360, but each individual member. Thus it would require the approval of each and every one of the over 600 members to make the data public.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Several US zoos threw a fit about the data being public because they felt it could be used "as a shopping list" for users to steal animals from them so they demanded ZIMS to be privatized or else they wouldn't participate.

~Thylo

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  13. amur leopard

The zoos in question being? (so that I never go to them (Just joking :D))

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Honestly I have no idea. I'm pretty sure one or two of them ended up not joining ZIMS regardless anyway, though, which makes the whole thing pointless to begin with.

~Thylo

15. Chlidonias

I've split the topic of a proposed "American Zootierliste" to a previously-existing thread.

Here: Zoo Inventory for NA?

ZooBinh and ThylacineAlive like this.
  16. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Goura and Zoofan15 like this.
  17. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

I don't know how long but EARAZA has another website: earaza.ru. On the website you can find yearbooks with breeding results of all species in all affiliated zoos and also a list of kept species in those zoos with the number of animals. It is a lot of translation work if, like me, you cannot speak Russian, but you can still get useful information from it.

A little late response to your post, but that has quite a good chance. They have a special e-mail address for this: [email protected]. There is a limit of 5 species reports a month per requestor. You get a list with the number of animals that is kept per zoo and of course only those of the zoos that are affiliated with species360.

Jungle Man likes this.
  18. Enzothephotographer

Enzothephotographer Well-Known Member

I too wish GlobalSpecies was still here

MRJ likes this.
  19. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Sadly, I think the problem is the world has been more complex. Since the days when ISIS published ARKS data we have had:
    • Growth in privacy awareness
    • Growth in cyber crime
    • Growth in the animal rights movement and their willingness to distort raw figures.
    Also Global360 is now a much larger organization, now over 1200 members, and was less than 600 when I first got involved. I imagine they would need the permission of all 1200 to publish the data publicly.

Rajang-GOAT, Birdsage and TinoPup like this.