Join our zoo community

Online Zoo Masterplans

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by okapikpr, 11 Apr 2008.

1. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

The whole project in Emmen cost 330,000,000 euros (527,000,000 US-dollars, 560,000,000 Australian dollars)

2. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

4. okapikpr

Not quite a masterplan, mstickmanp, but somewhat close. A masterplan really details (written or in graphics) a general or specific plan of construction that would expand or completely renovate the entire zoo. Often masterplans, especially the ones I look for, have a map that details or shows a general placement for these future plans. See the examples in a posting on the thread's first page.

5. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

LA Zoo is spending huge to replace its outdated exhibits of the past (it is the second LA Zoo) and doing so in a relatively short period of time (2 decades) I do worry about how well designed these exhibits are and specifically whether they will be outdated themselves in only 2 decades (if not upon completion)...

6. okapikpr

Actually Los Angeles will only have redeveloped but 1/2 to 1/3 of the zoo in two decades. Once work is complete on the new neotropical and herp exhibits there is still much left to be done. Of course as a comparison, San Diego has redeveloped about the same amount of space in only three decades. City oversight and public opinion are actually making Los Angeles's newest exhibits better from earlier plans. I would expect a better quality out of the next set of exhibits than those that we have seen in the past (ie Ape exhibits).

7. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Yes the ape exhibits are the exhibits are what I had in mind in my previous post... LA Zoo is one of the few Zoos to display Orangs, Gorillas and Chimps... All are in exhibits that are less than 2 decades old and all are relatively poor...