Join our zoo community

Only Male Asian that interacts with the public?

Discussion in 'United States' started by loxodonta, 8 May 2013.

1. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

I recently visited Two Tails Ranch in Williston, FL where I had my picture taken on top of a male asian elephant, Luke. Does anybody know of another facility that has elephant interactions with a male Asian? By the way, he is a sweet heart:)

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe Have Trunk Will Travel in California???

3. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

No, HTWT's bull was always managed PC, he is now at the Oregon zoo, where he was purchased, although he was originally sent there on a breeding loan.

African lion safari manages two maturing bulls George (14) and Johnson (12) in FC, where they still preform in their elephant demonstrations.

There is a castrated male, Bo, from the George Carden circus who is also managed in FC.
    I think it is important to note that Luke is castrated as well. While Rajah, a in-tact male also at two tails is managed in PC.

This is the case with the several adult African males currently managed in FC in the US.

4. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

LA whats your thoughts of PC vs FC?

5. loxodonta

The answer is no. Bo and ALS's bulls do not interact with the public. Have trunk does not have males. What Raj has to do with anything I don't know. I don't know of any African males that do public interactions either. Anyone interested in meeting Luke and the other elephants visit all about elephants.com Best elephant experience ever!

6. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

Luke is the only male Asian elephant to interact with the public (although I believe Bo may do meet in greets before and after shows?).
    However, Butch a castrated African from EARS does interact directly with visitors, as does George (also castrated) at Wildlife Safari who participates in an annual visitor car wash and grape stomp.

As for my opinion, tschandler71, I am respectful of both approaches, and would be willing to work in environments with either. With that being said, I feel PC is a more modern approach at elephant management which does not require a domineering relationship (regardless of what other professionals say, working FC with a 8,000+ pound animal requires dominance to some degree). But as I said before, FC seems to be much more effective, but due to the emotional nature of elephants, in addition to safety concerns, I applaud the AZA's 2016 mandate of PC in all of its accredited facilities.

7. loxodonta

Bo doesn't but those two Africans I thought might especially George. Though I respect what you said about FC/PC I must say AZA's mandate is ridiculous. FC is more about a bond and respect than outright dominating. Personally I would like elephants to be removed from zoo's and put in facilities that would have 24/7 committed staff. Zoo keeping is a 9-5 and not appropriate for elephants. That's just my opinion.

8. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When you say public interaction you mean with no barrier correct?