Join our zoo community

Orana Wildlife Park Orana Park keeper live chat

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by driftaguy, 13 May 2013.

1. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

'What I do': Orana Park keeper live chat preview - National - NZ Herald News

MIDDAY TUESDAY 14 MAY (NZ TIME)

2. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Aaron Gilmore will be with us at midday to answer your questions. Ask your questions above.
    by paul.harper 11:25 AM

Hi everyone, Aaron is now with us to answer your questions. Thanks for joining us, Aaron.
    by paul.harper 11:59 AM

nathan

It is good to be here

12:02 PM

Hi Aaron, very jealous of your job. Wondering if you could tell me what sort of educational background you have and how you got in to this sort of job
    by Mary 12:02 PM

nathan

Yes, I am fortunate to have such a great job. I got into the role at Orana through work experience set up through my high school. I've worked in the zoo industry for over 12 years. There wasn't a specific course when I started but now UNITEC in Auckland run a course called Certificate in Animal Management (Captive Wild Animals) and this is a great entry course to work as a zoo keeper.

12:05 PM

How did the park cope during the major earthquakes? Do the animals get freaked out by big shakes?
    by Karen K 12:06 PM

nathan

The animals actually adjusted over time. Initially many were freaked out and we sadly had one death, a lemur that drowned. All other animals seemed to adjust to aftershocks. The primates and giraffes in particular seemed to be affected the most. It was interesting to watch how the animals' reaction changed over time. For example our white rhinos were observed running in a perfect line after one of the early quakes but later were unperturbed.

12:08 PM

nathan

As for the Park, visitor numbers and therefore income were affected. Orana is operated by a charitable trust and so relies on gatetakings to operate. Typically 45% of visitors come from outside of Christchurch. We are pleased to report that numbers are tending in the right direction now though.

12:09 PM

Do you ever feel like you are in danger when working with animals like lions and tigers? Are you afraid of them or do you get used to it?
    by Jason 12:09 PM

nathan

These animals deserve the utmost respect. We have strict protocols and procedures in place for working with large carnivores. We do not enter the exhibit with our lions and tigers, all contact is through protective barriers so I have absolute respect for these animals but not fear as you get used to working around them. We also are aware of the individual personalities of the cats.

12:11 PM

Just a heads up for our readers – you may have noticed Aaron’s answers are coming up with the name “Nathan” alongside them. Nathan Hawke is Orana’s marketing, public relations and visitor services manager and is helping Aaron with the live chat. Alright, next question.
    by paul.harper 12:11 PM

What causes animals like Cheetahs to turn on their own offspring?
    by Bianca 12:11 PM

nathan

Unfortunately sometimes first time mothers, particularly cheetah, mis-mother their offspring. This is actually also known to happen in domestic cats. In cheetah it can simply be inexperience but by the time of their second litter often raise the litter themselves. We hope this will be the case with our recent mother Mazza.

12:14 PM

How has the cheetah mum's behaviour been after the death of the cubs? Is it likely that she will breed again?
    by Alex 12:14 PM

nathan

Mazza, the mother, has not demonstrated any noticeable behaviour change. She is eating well and has shown no change in attitude to keepers. Yes, we expect her to breed again. However, cheetah are known to be very difficult to breed in captivity so the fact she produced cubs is a good sign for the future.

12:16 PM

Here's a video question from pupils at Christ the King school asking about what happened to the cheetah cubs.
    by room5ctk edited by paul.harper 12:17 PM

nathan

Hello Christ the King! Unfortunately we had to make the difficult decision to euthanase the cheetah cubs. Sadly, the animals had not developed. In our setting we have a duty of care to ensure that a life worth living is provided and unfortunately the cubs were only being kept alive by 24 hour intensive care. This was a really difficult decision for our team and experienced wildlife vet to make but the right call had to be made for the cubs.

12:22 PM

Has this been a difficult week for you having that name?? LOL Seriously is it ok to breed cheetahs in captivity. Wouldn't it be better to find a way to breed them in the wild? Isn't the problems they are having a symptom that its not natural to breed them in captivity?
    by Michael 12:23 PM

nathan

Ha ha, I've only had a bit of ribbing about the name. In an ideal world yes it would be better that they bred in the wild. But cheetah are classified (IUCN) as a vulnerable species and unfortunately face many threats in their natural habitat. For this reason a genetically sound back-up population is needed. The international zoo-based breeding programme has an international studbook to ensure good bloodlines are maintained. Good question.

12:30 PM

Hi Aaron, do you have a favourite animal at Orana Park?
    by Claire 12:31 PM

nathan

It would have to be giraffe! I've been lucky to see many giraffe calves born here and have accompanied a giraffe on a transfer, by sea, to Australia. They are so relaxed, easy to work with and have great personalities. They are our gentle giants!

12:32 PM

whats do you like and dislike about your job? I imagine it can be quite tiring?
    by Heni 12:33 PM

nathan

I don't like working in the snow! We've have three big snow storms over the past few winters. I like being involved in conservation work for threatened species. Animal keeping is a physically demanding role. It has heaps of benefits and magic moments but can be tough. The animals still need to be fed, watered and cared for regardless of the weather.

12:34 PM

In your opinion, what is the most intelligent animal you work with?
    by Suze 12:35 PM

nathan

Definitely not our Education Manager LOL (sorry, in house joke). Siamangs are very intelligent; the primates in general are very quick. The tigers are smart and devious.

12:38 PM

Hi Aaron, is this a job where a lot of people get 'burnt out' quickly, or is it something that people tend to stay in for quite some time?
    by Gemma 12:39 PM

nathan

Once people find out what the role really involves, we tend to find that they hang around for a while. Zoo keeping jobs are very hard to come by in New Zealand. It becomes more of a lifestyle not a job and therefore for those people (myself included) longevity is common. However, if people enter the industry with a glamorised view then that can lead to burn out.

12:42 PM

is there anything you will do different next time in view of had rearing the babies successfully - what was the reason they had to be put down? was there something wrong with them?
    by animal lover 12:42 PM

nathan

Whilst gutted to loose the cubs, we are satisfied that we did everything possible for them. Unfortunately the condition of the cubs was such that they were only being kept alive through 24 hour intensive veterinary care and could not otherwise survive. They were simply not progressing and at some point the difficult decision had to be made. We are awaiting final post mortem reports but initial results suggest the cubs were underdeveloped.

12:47 PM

Does Orana get much flak from animal rights activists? And is there ever any backlash when you have to euthanise an animal?
    by Trace 12:48 PM

nathan

That's a really interesting question. No, Orana doesn't attract a great deal of negative attention though we are a zoo and it is part of the territory. We haven't experienced backlash relating to the need to euthanase an animal. In fact with regards to the cheetah cubs we were overwhelmed by the outpouring of support. In general most people are sympathetic as an animal is only euthanased for welfare/quality of life reasons.

12:51 PM

If you could have any new animal at Orana what would it be?
    by Monique 12:53 PM

nathan

I really want to see red pandas! Meantime, we are underway with planning New Zealand's first gorilla habitat and I can't wait to meet the animals.

12:54 PM

Which of the animals that you care for do you consider the most dangerous?
    by Brian 12:54 PM

nathan

I'd place lions, tigers, wild dogs, siamangs and male waterbuck as equally dangerous for different reasons.

12:56 PM

At a zoos and animal parks I have been to in the past I often notice some of the animals pacing back and forth in a repetitive manner, is this generally a sign of stress and/or boredom? And if the public do notice this type of behaviour is it worth mentioning this to staff? It can be quite disturbing to see
    by Donna 12:56 PM

nathan

That's hard to answer without seeing the behaviour. It could be any manner of things (eg awaiting food). Yes, we welcome feedback from visitors as although we work very closely with the animals we simply do not see everything and any clue regarding animal behaviour is useful.

1:00 PM

Alright, last question for Aaron.
    by paul.harper 1:00 PM
    What can the average person do to help save endangered animals?
    by Todd 1:00 PM

nathan

At Orana we promote a range of 'how you can help'

1:01 PM
    nathan

At Orana we promote a range of 'how you can help' messages. These range from purchase sustainably (eg FSC certified products, palm oil free products) through to keeping your dog on a leash in kiwi territory. We consider that conservation starts on our doorstep and that everyone can be involved and it is not always monetary based.

1:03 PM

Awesome, thank you everyone for joining us and thank you very much Aaron and Nathan for your time today.

Orana Wildlife Park, on Macleans Island Road, Macleans Island, Christchurch, is open daily from 10am-5pm. Find out more about Orana here.
    by paul.harper 1:03 PM

nathan

Pleasure, thanks for the opportunity.

1:03 PM