Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo orangs on zoolex

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Coquinguy, 17 Jun 2007.

1. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

the orangutan sanctuary at melbourne zoo is now on zoolex-enjoy everyone!

2. Coquinguy

can anyone remember a documentary porduced which followed the construction of Taronga's orangutan forest. seeing the photos of Santan exploring his new exhibit at Melbourne reminded me of watching Archie tentatively exploring his new habitat after being kept in a sterile cell all his life. Before moving exhibits the only thing Archie had to occupy his time with was jamming a feather into his bubbler valve to make the water stream continuously. It was such a moving yet sad demonstration of his intelligence; I know that Taronga's orang exhibit isnt as fancy as Melbourne's but given just how bad the conditions were as late as 1994 im so glad the orangs have such a nice enclosure in Sydney now.
    The orang exhibit at Tronga could easily be enhanced in the future-a raised viewing structure like the Pole Hose in Wild Asia would be a start, so too mixing gibbons or siamang in with them, and maybe a lory aviary or two.
    I think the new enclosure at Melbourne looks magnificent and cannot wait to see it. The only thing is, how does it look now its had 6 months to be trashed by children?

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

looks much the same. the "profiles" of the zoos orangs and siamangs were printed on metal plates boted to the tops of the benches surrounding the windows in "longhouse" area. of course the little rubber soles that stand on them have done a good job of rubbing off the ink making them pretty useless indded, but otherwise its holding up well from both an orangutan and visitor perspactive. its seems a very parctical exhibit and i was supprised that features like o-lines etc were not incorperated into the finshed design. however, when the newly transplanted trees grow in the open exhibit and vistor areas, it should green up quite well into something more representative of a forest.... well heres hoping anyway!

4. Coquinguy

cut off their feet!