Join our zoo community

Giza Zoo Orangutan Gift To Giza Zoo

Discussion in 'Egypt' started by Peter Dickinson, 26 May 2010.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Giza Zoo is a former member of WAZA. Its membership was withdrawn because it was unable to meet the standards required. Although it is understood that efforts have been made recently to improve the situation they have not made it yet.
    It is then quite shocking to learn that Al Ain Wildlife Park and Resort recently sent them some Orangutans. The Al Ain Wildlife Park and Resort IS a WAZA member...it is just not on.
    Read more here ... Orangutan Gift To Giza Zoo

2. Peter Dickinson

Where Have The Chimpanzees Gone?

The Zoo World appears to be ignoring the gift of the Orangutans by Al Ain to Giza. Tactic approval? The question has to be asked. Where have the chimpanzees been moved to to make room for the Orangutans?

3. Peter Dickinson

Still there is not a whisper out of Al Ain or Giza. Is there anyone who can shed any further light on this appalling move?

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The move does not sit well with EEP/EAZA policies. Al Ain at some point will join I guess .... or is already a partipatory ...??? Seriously confused here!!!

5. orangutansos

orangutansos New Member

Giza Zoo - Animals being eaten?

An article recently came my way relating to Giza Zoo:

Butchered Camels Spark National Outcry to Fix Egypt's Giza Zoo - Bloomberg.com

The journalist claims that animals in the zoo are disappearing at an alarming rate (200 hundred animals over 3 years). The reporter states that the zoo's residents are either being eaten by zoo staff or, if in infancy, sold on the illegal exotic pet trade. It sickens me to learn that the zoo is acquiring several Orangutans.

I believe a full scale investigation into this zoo is required immediately and a studbook or tagging of all of it's residents is essential.

How do people feel about these allegations? What would should animals rights groups be asking for in terms of change?

6. Peter Dickinson