Join our zoo community

Orangutan Sanctuary

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by zooman, 7 Jul 2008.

1. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

HI people, a friend has asked me.

"I want to visit orangs in the wild"

Does anyone have first hand experiance with visiting a Orangutan Sanctuary? Preferably one where they are reintroducing back into the wild. Also with a high standard of accomadition close by would be great.

Stuart

2. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Sepilok , East Malaysia

I have visited this place -- it rehabs captured orangs to survive in the wild .
    The feeding time attracts most tourists , but the place is open all day for those people who are interested in wildlife .
    They put out milk and bananas . It is basically a supplement to ensure that the recently released orangs dont starve , but as it is a relatively boring diet , the orangs are therby encouraged to find food in the jungle for themselves .

It is about 25 km out of Sandakan -- all bus/taxi drivers know where it is .
    Sandakan has a few hotels in approx 3 star range .... no Hiltons , but perfectly adequate for a few days stay .

You have the best chance of seeing orangs at fairly close range at Sepilok -- if you go out into the jungle there is no real garuntee if you will see any , nor at what distance .

I hope this helps your friend . When I was there , approx 12 orangs came out of the jungle to have a feed . I was about 3 or 4 metres away . They were not shy about coming so close

3. zooman

Thanks for that Nigel, l will pass it on to my friend.

Stuart

4. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I'l be going to sepilok within the month, so I'll have an updated report.

5. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Mr Hornybill , You will probably hear alot more birds than you will see . I hope you know your bird calls !
    Look forward to reading your update when you go there . Please let me know whats happening ( if anything ) re their rhinos .

Sepilok is about a km down a lane from the main road ( it isnt on the main road itself ) but it is so well known by transport operators . There is a basic cafeteria there so you wont starve or die of thirst .
    I am sure that the staff there will be delighted with your knowledge of hornbills

6. zooman

Definatley look forward to hearing about your trip matey.

YOu do get around dont you!

Stuart R Webster

7. Writhedhornbill

In just over a week I'll be on the plane:):)

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Are you taking a Laptop with you Jono so you can log in the Zoobeat and keep us all up to date :D

9. Writhedhornbill

I might do, It will depend on how safe I think it will be....

I've got a problem with data storage at the moment. My camera is a hard drive camera and records all the videos and photos on the a hard drive. It is very good at this and it's a great camera. At the moment though, this drive is nearly full! There is no room on my laptop at the moment, or on my dad's computer... Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do? I think buying a hard drive would be worth while, so that I can put all of the current video onto it and then have a free camera.

The other problem is that I need some more space on the camera when I get back for the Chester zoo summer school!

10. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Look for an external hard drive - they aren't too expensive especially considering the amount of memory on them and they plug into a computer via a USB lead.

11. Writhedhornbill

Yeah, I might need about 80-100GB, so I'll search for prices...

12. zoom

zoom Member

Sepilok is close to Sandakan so its not too hard to get too.
    The Nyaru Menteng sanctuary as seen in animal planet doesn't seem to accept visitors/tourists.
    Tanjung Puting park in Borneo is a big natural reserve but I think its more remote although there should be visitor accomodations because it is a center for tourism.

13. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

IT parts

you should have no trouble getting IT parts in the bigger centres in Malaysia .
    Computer shops and Telecom shops are everywhere !