Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo orangutans

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by orang09, 16 Oct 2007.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it possible that both Orana and Auckland will import Sumatran groups from Europe and/or the USA ? Rather than Orana receiving hybrids

2. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

It is more that US focus on mostly Bornean,UK focus on Sumatran mainland Europe a mix and Australasia Sumatran.It is likely Orana and Auckland will import some.

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Prior to their move to the USA, there was a plan for Isim and Gangsa to go to a zoo in Turkey, but zoo staff were hoping Charlie and Gangsa could be sent instead. These plans obviously never came to anything. Charlie is confirmed as the father of two offspring, Darli (born and died in 2000) and Madju (born 2005); Horst is the father of Isim. Both Horst and Charlie are well represented by their respective fathers who each sired around 30 offspring each!

Wanita and Melur are far from friends so if it's possible for Melur to go overseas (and breed), that would be good but would obviously depend on the space in overseas zoos and the demand for her bloodline. She now has a son (Madju) and at least one half sibling (Gangsa) in the USA.

Tafin likes this.
  5. Zoofan15

I agree it's a strong possibility that Orana Wildlife Park will import and hold just purebred Sumatrans, as will Auckland, now that plans for Taronga's hybrids to be sent to Orana have been abandoned in favour of sending them to Mogo Zoo. It makes sense to send New Zealand's last hybrid there too. Wanita is by no means sociable and it's unlikely Auckland will be pushing to retain her to house with their new Sumatrans.

Tafin likes this.
  6. Zoofan15

Tafin likes this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not sure if Singapore Zoo Bornean orang genes are well represented in European zoos.

I could see the residing purebred male Bornean Charlie moving to Singapore and the purebred female Bornean Melur to the EEP / EAZA realm. Any Great Ape experts willing or able to shed light on the realism in such an export (perhaps quid pro quo transferring some Sumatran orang offspring to Kiwilands and either or both Auckland and Orana)???

Tafin likes this.
  8. BennettL

I agree that Wanita could go to Mogo so Ocenia could have there hydrids there but Charlie again as said by yourself a well represented male.Melur could be sent to the US to breed with Charlie sent to the UK were they have most Non breeding groups and Wanita to Mogo.

BennettL

9. Zoofan15

I think Melur could well be sent to the USA for breeding but if Charlie is not required overseas for breeding due to his well represented genetics, then I doubt he'd leave the region due to the cost of importing an orangutan that will not be used for breeding (same with hybrids).

I think the best option is for Auckland Zoo to export their three orangutans (two Borneans and one hybrid) to Australia or outside of the region and import a breeding group of Sumatrans, and for Orana Wildlife Park to do the same. Offspring from these two breeding groups can then be exchanged between the two zoos or sent to Hamilton and Wellington Zoo if/when they decide to hold orangutans. Ideally the orangutans would be unrelated to the ones held in Australian zoos (imported from Asia or Europe) to open up the possibility of future exchanges with Perth Zoo etc.

Tafin likes this.
  10. BennettL

Melur could be sent overseas to breed and that is the best option.I doubt that he will be exported to Australia as none focus on Borneans with the exception of Mogo's hydrids.He could be relocated alone but it would be a better option for him to have company.If Orana can't import early enough he could reside there till he finds a home.

BennettL

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone have sufficient background info on the genetics of the global captive orang populations to be able to make an assessment of where both males (Charlie and Melur) might go overseas. It is unlikely Charlie will go back to Singapore (as he was bred from their bloodlines) and that zoo is now very focussed on assuring the regional SEAZA comes into its own on improving the conservation husbandry, management and breeding in the region of both Bornean and Sumatran orangs. F.I., they recently exported a Bornean orang to Taiping Zoo in Malaysia.

So, if anyone could make that assessment for Auckland's Charlie and Melur that would be most helpful!

Tafin likes this.
  12. BennettL

Melur was born to Yasmin and Laki at Kong Kong zoo.As far as I'm sure she had some siblings and cousins that have been extended into the Mainland Europe and US region.Charlie on the other hand was born at Singapore zoo to Girlie,who raised Melbourne zoo's twins Bono and Suma and Zabu.Singapore had a relitiavly small group of around 10 orangs most were never exported.This means Charlie who has had 30 offspring 10 surviving offspring can be exported anywhere but it is unlikely.Melur can pretty much be exported anywhere too.

BennettL

Tafin likes this.
  13. Zoofan15

Update on Madju

Madju (born 09/11/2005) was sent to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Florida in 2015 and was paired with a female orangutan named Luna (born 18/09/1997).

On Madju's 12th birthday this year, it was announced Madju has become a father with the birth of his first offspring, a male.

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay is also home to Auckland Zoo orangutans, Horst (born 1978) and Indra (born 1980).

Madju's infant is the first offspring of an Auckland Zoo bred Bornean orangutan. The other five Bornean orangutans bred at Auckland Zoo (of which only one is still living) are:

Intan F (1989-2013) No issue
    Datuk M (1989-1998) No issue
    Isim M (1994) No issue to date
    Darli F (2000-2000) No issue
    Unnamed F (2002-2002) No issue

None of these have/have yet produced offspring.

Tafin likes this.