Join our zoo community

Jardin des Plantes Orangutans

Discussion in 'France' started by Gigit, 26 Aug 2008.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Has anyone been to the Menagerie du Jardin des Plantes in Paris lately so would know how Twycross's orangutans, Theodora and Tamu, are getting on?

2. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw them back in March , housed next to the Paris 1.2 and able to interact through mesh , they were moving around a lot . I would say this old enclosure in Paris gave them much more opportunity for movement away from the ground than they had at Twycross .

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Sounds good. What is the enclosure like?

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

UNLESS they have been moved... It is a Really, really really really old House- built god knows how long ago, possibly the 19th Century... so a real antique as most of the rest of the Jardin des Plantes Zoo is. The outside cages are tall and roofed and dark but may have been refitted/internally modernised for the inhabitants and as Bele said, the Orangs can climb around far better than they could at Twycross and possibly they have more space too.

In the 1960's they had four Gorillas living in this house too, but they've never had any since.

5. Bele

Yes the orangs are housed in the verrrry old Monkey House in the Jardin des Plantes . They have made improvements where they can . One side of the building is used for the orangs , I suspect a number of smaller cages have been knocked together to make a few larger ones , the outside area has also been changed . There are plenty of ropes etc. for climbing and the animals were active and well above ground . What the cages lack in floor space thay make up for in height . I would say better for the orangs than sat on the floor at Twycross draped in old clothes .

I was pleasantly surprised by my visit , much more enjoyable than Vincennes where not much was left . Only the sifakas made that visit worthwhile . The collection of sheep and goats is still excellent , a couple of very impressive takin , breeding binturong in the old bear pens etc.

6. Bele

Just checked the gallery here , no pictures of orangs unfortunately but nice ones of takin , bharal and a few others . Getting good pictures of the orangs would not be easy as they are behind glass then mesh - I did not take any in the Monkey House .

7. Pertinax

I hate to see Twycross's orangutans(and gorillas) like that. It takes away their dignity and still smacks of the 'TV chimp' era.. Orangs naturally like to cover themselves but I wish they would give them natural materials- bamboo, branches or other large leaves for that purpose.

8. Pertinax

I've only been there once, a very long time ago. The cages both indoor and outside had both mesh and glass screens in those days,with deep straw bedding, giving a horrible claustrophobic effect. I can't remember any Orangutans at that time but there were two silverback gorillas(Nero & Horatio) and two females- all living singly! I don't think they ever got any of them together before they died...

I've seen photos of the Orangutan caging quite recently and though its the same old building you can see its definately a whole lot better.

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the information. It's good to know that Theo and Tamu are in better surroundings.

10. Pertinax

It comes to something where a 100year old cage is 'better surroundings'- but in this case I think its true..:)

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Yes - I hadn't quite thought through the implications of my comment! They couldn't have wished for a better keeper at Twycross, but as for their enclosure.........

12. Pertinax

I just mentioned this in the thread about Twycross's record with Primates- I've always thought all their animals are very well cared for i.e. quality of food, general well-being, cleanliness, bedding etc. Its the design of housing and animal Management(e.g. moving animals about, getting new breeding partners in etc) that is rooted in the past and seriously lets them down I feel. They also have a very good record for handrearing(virtually 100% in apes) though that's not necessarily something to be proud of... so I'm not completely against Twycross(well, not quite.;))

I thought last year's 'improvements' to the Orangutan enclosure were abysmal- ugly fire hoses and a solid log climbing structure-useless for them as climbing materials really and made the enclosure look worse than ever....

Last edited: 29 Aug 2008
  13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm that male orang, Tubo, has recently died?

14. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

I visited the menagerie on the 5th of september 2011, which is when i took the new pictures on the Jardin des Plantes gallery, including the picture of theodora. There was a sign in french explaining Tubo´s deteriorating condition. The male orangutan was nowhere in sight, outdoors or indoors, so it may be possible that he has died.

15. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. Sad news - he was only 17.

16. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, he did die. It was covered in the frensh media a few weeks ago. Very sad..

17. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Hi can anyone give me any information on Theodora and Tamu. What is their current status. Have either of them bred? If so where are their offspring? Thanks :) I've tried to look it up but the only studbook I can find is 2002

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I have no knowledge of a replacement for male 'Tubo'. Neither Theodora nor Tamu had offspring with him.

19. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

There was, of course, the newborn from last year. It was the first in 13 years at La Menagerie, and the only one (?) in France. This is the new male, Banggi's, first offspring.

Also of note, it seems as if La Menagerie has been raising money for a brand new, thoroughly modern orangutan habitat. You can check out the donation page here, but it looks like this will be an extension of their current habitat in the singerie connected by one of those -- all the rage -- overhead paths.

This is the only image I could find so far of the proposal, but it looks pretty good. Some elevated viewing would be nice though.

[​IMG]

pipaluk likes this.