Join our zoo community

Oregon Zoo Oregon Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 2 Jan 2016.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Milwaukee Man

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

6. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know if the zoo is planning on acquiring a new breeding bull elephant?
    I've been thinking about possible candidates and one of the firsts that came to me was Raja from St. Louis. His genes seem to be well represented currently in St. Louis where his 2 older daughters, Maliah and Jade, are soon approaching sexual maturity. Maybe Sam could be sent there, like a swap? They have no other breeding bull in St. Louis.

Any other candidates out there anyone can think of? I had just considered natural breeding and not AI. Not sure if Oregon would cooperate with Ringling but I know they have a group of bulls that need rehoused. I could see one of the ABQ boys also as a possibility.

7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Raja won't leave Saint Louis. He is a crowd favorite and the zoo built all of River's Edge just so they could keep him.

8. marshwiggle

marshwiggle Member

Two of his daughters are of breeding age already, however. It makes sense to move him and find a male who can breed with both Rani and his four daughters.

There are several male elephants in the US who could be moved - Billy from LA (no breeding partners), Bodhi or Billy from Denver, either Casey or Romeo from Ft. Worth (I think those are the names), Albert/Samson from ABQ or even tucker from Houston (though he will not be able to mate with lily as they are half-siblings).

Fun video of a chimp with a GoPro at the zoo! Oregon Zoo's oldest chimpanzee has some fun with GoPro | Daily Mail Online

9. ctfctf7

Casey is back at Ringling's CEC but I had also considered Billy too as he's very genetically valuable. I doubt Tucker would be an option, as you mentioned he's Lily's half sib but he also belongs to Have a Trunk and the dispute over ownership of Lily and Tusko leads me to assume it wouldn't be an option.

10. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Personally, I believe the Oregon zoo should play things carefully in regards to acquiring a new bull. They are one of the lucky few facilities that haven't had any issues with EEHV, and I would very much like to see it stay that way.

Personally, I think billy would be a good bull to send over, he is large and impressive, and has absolutely no offspring, making him extremely genetically valuable! That said, who knows if LA would be willing to send him out. In addition, he is also owned by Have Trunk Will Travel, which after the whole affair with Tusko, is not something I think the Oregon zoo would want to deal with again. Perhaps they could acquire semen from him for AI ?

I could potentially see them using semen from male from ABQ,however ABQ seems to want to keep a hold on their current animals.

Also as a side note, ft. worth's males are Colonel and Romeo right now.

Also edit to add: Tucker is actually owned by Houston now, they bought him and Tess a couple of years ago. I doubt they will ever transfer him though, as he will most likely come the new breeding bull once Thai passes away.

As for Billy/Budhi at Denver, breeding from them wouldn't be the worst, but it would make more sense to AI from Groucho instead. The first two are both grandoffspring from Motek and Warda, who are very well represented in Europe, and have many relations over different generations in North America as well. On the other hand Groucho only has 2 offspring and 1 grandoffspring.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2016
  11. ctfctf7

Does anyone have a good review or photos of the new Elephant Lands space? It looks very impressive from the photos I've seen but i'd love to hear impressions people have who've visited.

12. Milwaukee Man

13. TZFan

14. Milwaukee Man

15. TZFan

16. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

17. TZFan