Join our zoo community

Oregon Zoo Oregon Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by TinoPup, 1 Mar 2018.

1. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

OH MY GOSH!!! I came to the exact same conclusion! Without a doubt, Samson had a role in Lily's death. Prior to Lily's passing, not a single elephant at the Oregon Zoo has died from EEHV. In addition, Samson came from a facility where EEHV was present and one death has been caused by EEHV at the Albuquerque Zoo. Furthermore, the only change in the Oregon Zoo's elephant program within the past few years was the acquisition of Samson. I wholeheartedly believe that Samson transmitted the virus to Lily which ultimately resulted in her death.

Truthfully, EEHV can be fatal at any age. However, EEHV has primarily effected young elephant calves. The oldest elephant to die from EEHV was 42 year old Kathy Sh-Boom at the Niabi Zoo. While the youngest elephant to die from EEHV that was beyond the suggested vulnerable age range was 13 year old Kimba at the Houston Zoo. Ultimately, EEHV is unpredictable and all elephants are potentially susceptible.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2018
    Milwaukee Man likes this.
  2. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From my limited research, it doesn’t seem to be clear how EEHV transmits between elephants and it isn’t always sexually transmitted like herpes is in humans. It does seem to travel from mothers to calves though. At this time, it is thought that nearly all Asian elephants, wild and captive, carry the virus so until we get info as to what strain it is, we shouldn’t speculate as to how Lily got the virus. It could have come from a wild strain that Chandra brought in for all we know.

Although almost all Asian carry it is generally asymptomatic. Why the virus becomes fatal is unknown but it is almost 100% fatal within 24 hours in calves if it becomes active without antivitral treatment. Even then, elephants only has about a 33% survival rate. Same thing would have happened if she was in a sanctuary like the AR groups want and she wouldn’t have any chance if she was in the wild.

ThylacineAlive and StoppableSan like this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd argue that she'd have had less of a chance in most sanctuaries than she would have in a zoo.

~Thylo

4. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agreed. If she died at Oregon Zoo with immediate treatment of the only thing we know to have any shot, she’d die anywhere.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rest in peace little guy. I'm sure he's happy sucking himself off pain free up there in otter heaven now.

8. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

The ornate monitor is named Merlin.