Join our zoo community

Ornaments

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by TinoPup, 4 Dec 2018.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone else like to collect ornaments from zoos? I just started picking them up this year and have 5; I can be kind of picky, and I stick to ones that have the zoo name on them, which many don't seem to have.
    My first was the river otter, from Elmwood Park Zoo. It's very well made. The running cheetah, from Dallas, is also well made, thick, and like the otter included a tag for the small business that makes them and how they sustainably harvest the wood. The Bronx cheetah is very cheaply made, thin, and honestly completely crap, but it's a cheetah :) Those three, along with the stained glass tiger from Fort Worth, can be displayed year round since they aren't Christmas-y at all. The Omaha one in the middle is Christmas only, unfortunately, but this was the only one they had with the zoo name on it, and it at least fits in with a few national parks ones I have.

ZooOrnaments.jpg

Jambo likes this.
  2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thats really cool. I didn’t know they made these! Hopefully you’re collection will grow in the future!

TinoPup likes this.
  3. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not a zoo, but I have an ornament from Sea Life Park in Oahu

TinoPup likes this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How is that not a zoo?

TinoPup likes this.
  5. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd only consider it a zoo if it primarily focused on terrestrial animals, which isn't the case. I would consider it a "marine park" like Sea World. However I suppose one could consider it a zoo

TinoPup, birdsandbats and Jambo like this.
  6. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hipporex and Jambo like this.
  7. TheCappyCouple

TheCappyCouple Member

We did a small "Zoo Tree" this year in addition to several other themed trees around the house. I think my favorite ornament on it is from Central Park Zoo when we last visited in 2022. It's hand-painted and features only species specific to the zoo, making it all the more unique and special.

Hipporex and TinoPup like this.