Join our zoo community

OstrichMania's Guide to Countries Around The World

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by OstrichMania, 12 Mar 2019.

1. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I love learning about different countries around the world. Similar to Hipporex, this thread will try to educate people about the countries around us. Suggestions are welcome. I want to ask a question while I am here, do you want me to cover the history of the country, because that could end up talking about wars, something I know is a touchy subject. So should I cover history or not?

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Talk about zoos in different country, to make the thread more zoo-related.

3. OstrichMania

1. This is in Zoo Cafe so anything can be in here.
    2. Do you mean like the most popular zoos or something else?

4. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Please cover history, I know it can be a touchy subject but it shapes countries.

5. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not sure it's a good idea to talk about countries as it will be challenging to avoid touchy subjects like religion, politics and history.

6. OstrichMania

First country, woohoo!
    San Marino
    Political Geography
    :​
    San Marino is a landlocked country completely surrounded by Italy like The Vatican. San Marino's capital is the City of San Marino. It is a very small country, with it's land area totalling only to about 24 square miles (61 square kilometres). Its geographic coordinates are 43 46 N, 12 25 E. San Marino is made of nine municipalities, they are:
    • Acquaiva
    • Borgo Maggoire
    • Cheisanouva
    • City of San Marino
    • Domagnano
    • Faetano
    • Florentino
    • Montegiardino
    • Serravelle
    Physical Geography:
    San Marino's topography mainly consist of mountainous terrain. It's highest point is Monte Titano at 2,477 feet (755 m) and the lowest point is at Torrente Ausa at 180 feet (55 m). It's mainly mountainous due to it being in the Appennines Mountains. Most of San Marino is actually on Mount Titano's slopes. It's climate is tropical as most precipitation falls in the months of August-May, the apparent 'rainy season'. The summers are warm and the climate is a typical Mediterranean-type climate. It is about 10 kilometres from the Adriatic Sea. There aren't any bodies of water with significant size in San Marino.
    Demographics:
    Most people in San Marino are in the ages of 15-64 years old, with 68%. 16% are 0-14 year olds and 16% are 65 years old or over. Most people belong into two ethnic groups: Sammarinese or Italian. The religious demographics is remarkably mostly the same for everybody, with 99% saying they identify as Roman Catholic Christans. Their official language is Italian but there are other languages spoken like Romagnol Dialects of Emiliano-Romagnolo. The country's currency is the Euro. Their government is a parliamentary style government.
    Relations with Other Countries:
    San Marino is a member of multiple organizations and alliances including the UN, the Council of Europe and the International Court of Justice. Many countries have residential embassies in San Marino. These are Austria, Bulgaria, France, Japan, Mexico, Monaco, Romania, Italy, Malta and Croatia. San Marino also maintains honorary consultates in countries like Armenia. San Marino and Serbia is probably the most controversial relation San Marino has as in 2005, the San Marino Foreign Minister visited Serbia and promised to support all of Serbia's requests in the Council of Europe. However, San Marino recognize the independence of Kosovo, a subject I will not get into due to the massive controversy surrounding it.

So, I will be doing the countries in two parts, one on Geography and one on History, just to experiment about what people think.

TheGerenuk likes this.
  7. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This 4 headings reminds me of Geography Now.

8. OstrichMania

Shhh… Nobody will know.... :p