Join our zoo community

Otters as pets in Japan....

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by vogelcommando, 21 Oct 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've heard about an otter cafe in Japan, just like the one with owls/hedgehogs.

Tafin likes this.
  3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

YouTube clip about the Otter trade :

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Seems to go along with the mania for pet slow lorises , how sad.

But watching the video I can't help thinking of the Japanese river otter which in fairly recent times was declared extinct. Evidently there was no such "love" or "otter mania" showed towards that unfortunate species while it was still with us.

BenFoxster likes this.
  5. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Japanese pet care is usually terrible. I don't think I've ever seen good Japanese pet care on Instagram, but I'm sure it's out there. I've seen videos of otters squealing and running around, but is any of their care actually good? Do people provide them with their proper diets?

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I think there will be owners who care for their pets well in Japan as in any other countries.

I've seen some videos of elderly Japanese who have cared for their pets which are also aged such as tortoises and caimans for decades and decades , quite moving really.

The fact that many of these pets are derived from the illegal pet trade is surely a mark of irresponsible ownership, but then again , is it ever worth generalizing about a Nation and its people ?

For example statistically speaking I think that problem is probably likely to be far higher in the USA. Some in Japan might look at the incidence of irresponsible and illegal big cat / reptile ownership in America and the record of invasive species in Florida and make similar generalizations.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2019
  7. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As I said above: "I'm sure it's out there." ;)

8. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

This is funny. I've been getting a number of YouTube recommendations for pet otter videos and they all seem to be Japanese or Korean.

9. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It would be nice to have a backyard pond for pet otters, with a waterslide and all. But a man can only dream.

10. ChIkEn NuGrEt

ChIkEn NuGrEt Well-Known Member

I watch this YouTube channel the otter seems quite happy, but I just want to know what they feed her.

11. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ve seen zoos in France feed surplus ground beaf from supermarkets to their otters. Not sure if it’s appropriate but I don’t think their diet requirements are hard to meet

12. ChIkEn NuGrEt

ChIkEn NuGrEt Well-Known Member

I watched one of the other videos and they feed their otter fish.

Rayane likes this.
  13. Dodo2

Dodo2 Active Member

14. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

One Japanese TV show placed different species of owls together, those smaller species just beside their natural predators and they showed nervous and stressful expressions, but Japanese audiences enjoyed watching that for fun.

15. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Otters as pets are all fun and games until the day that they change their minds and rip your face off. I've seen at otter going after a zoo keeper that it did not like, and nobody would want to be on the wrong end of angry otter teeth, claws, and ferocity. Ow.

BenFoxster and birdsandbats like this.
  16. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Another peculiar thread. Do we judge a culture by the videos we see posted on Instagram?
    Do we live in such narrow, self-congratulating bubbles that we assume Instagram or YouTube is how the entire world expresses itself? These platforms have loads of users but they represent only a fraction of most populations.
    If you have not visited a country and spent considerable time, talking with citizens and getting to know them, then you know nothing about the culture.
    If you need to feel superior about something look to your own country. You know its craziness.
    About 50% of Japanese are on social media and Instagram is not dominant.
    upload_2022-11-11_10-15-11.png

Dr. Wolverine likes this.
  17. Dr. Wolverine

Dr. Wolverine Well-Known Member

In Japan, exotic pets include:
    Fennec Fox
    Pythons
    Fruit Bats
    Meerkats
    Mandarin Ducks
    Owls

and these are only the ones I've seen in pet stores...

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  18. Dr. Wolverine

Dr. Wolverine Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention, I’ve also seen full grown Burmese python and Spectacled Caiman, as well as eagle owls, elf owls, and Brown Wood owls. Exotic fish include silver arowana, and Red Bellied Pirahnas, as well as several species of lungfish. I also saw a Bennett Wallaby once…

19. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Silver Arowana are a pet store staple here in the states, pretty much any pet store carrying freshwater fish will have them on the regular. Typically they're sold as youngsters between 3-5 inches in length, I do wonder how many of the people buying them realize how big they can grow... or the predatory nature of the species.

Dr. Wolverine likes this.
  20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

They do have deceptively cavernous mouths! I had one once and assumed the other fish in the tank were too large to be eaten because it was quite small. I was incorrect and had to move the remaining fish to a new tank.

Great Argus and Dr. Wolverine like this.