Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo "OUR ZOO"

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SHAVINGTONZOO, 20 Aug 2014.

1. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@maisie, what a review wow.. Craig Revelhorne school.lol
    @ billnaylor is the kindle book the 1st or 2nd edition as I intend to order a copy,hopefully the 2nd.

2. billnaylor

billnaylor Member 5+ year member

reared at chester zoo

Just to clarify a detail "Reared in Chester Zoo" was not written by June Mottershead, it was wriiten by Crewe author Janice Madden, Published in 2008 it is still on sale. This is June's story as told to the author.
    What is sad,it appears the author is being forgotten.
    Where the book "Our Zoo" has emerged from i'm not too sure. It's been published by heavy weight publisher Headline, obviously to cash in on the popularity of the BBC series, but it's not a tie in, it has nothing to do with the BBC or the writer of the drama series. In an interview (Available on BBC I player) the writer of the series stated that he had interviewed June during his reaserch.He also mentions there was a self published book, but doesnt mention the author. He also makes it clear the drama series was his work
    and creation. Sorry to be long winded. But I would say the Headine book published last week "Our Zoo", will be the same story as Janice Madden told in her book "Reared in Chester Zoo" But headline's editors will have worked on it to make it sufficiently different to avoid accusations of plagiarism.
    Excuse the venom but publishers often ride rough shod over small writers
    And they don't come any smaller than your truly:
    Zoofari very pleased you enjoyed the CB articles. Have not read the "Zoo without Bars",must get hold of that.
    Zoofari and dublinlion
    "Misadventures of a Zoo Keeper" on sale on amazon kindle is the 2and.
    edition. It's the price of sandwich. Any feedback after you've digested it will be most welcome.

3. zoofari

zoofari Well-Known Member

Zoofari very pleased you enjoyed the CB articles. Have not read the "Zoo without Bars",must get hold of that.
    You may to do a lot of looking as its been out of print for years... Although with the Internet you may succeed

4. billnaylor

"Zoo without Bars" "Our Zoo"

I wander round the web found it has shot up in value.
    Amazon have a copy for £89. Another bookseller has one for £50.
    "Our Zoo" published last week is ghost written by writer Pepsey Denning.

5. zoofari

zoofari Well-Known Member

My copy cost the astronomical amount of 30p!! Admittedly it's fallen apart and only saved with use of poly pockets and a ring folder, but read many times and a fond possession. But for £ 89 I would want printed on gold leaf.

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Judging from the excerpts I've seen Our Zoo is significantly different from Reared in Chester Zoo. In particular OZ refers to the family shop in Crewe going out of business following the General Strike of 1926, and the Shavington property only remaining with the family because it was in Lizzie's name, which was all news to me.

7. kaytronika

kaytronika Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, I'll probably end up picking it up regardless, thanks for your replies. We've got Reared in Chester Zoo already. Also interested in the Misadventures of a Zookeeper book too, so a win for all involved.

As for my opinions of the series, I largely enjoyed it. I took it at face value knowing it would be a TV friendly telling of the story and I was not disappointed. Would I have preferred a documentary? Absolutely. I'd still quite like to see that if any budding TV types are snooping round!

8. SHAVINGTONZOO

Have now obtained and read the book. It's good. And states clearly that the tv series is a loose adaptation.

"The drama series was different from how things were in real life".

9. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I nearly bought the book today, but flicked through and thought it similar to Reared in Chester Zoo by Janice Madden. The story is the same (of course), but are you able to compare the two?

10. billnaylor

ShavingtonZoo Mottershead

I get the impression that you knew a great deal about Mottershead.
    I know there was many sides to him, I was sixteen when I worked for him.
    But I heard the gossip. I remember his assistant Miss Howard, I think,
    Were you involved in zoos? The book "Our Zoo" is a delightful story but
    was written by ghost writer Pepsy Denning, so I think there was even more air brushing of the true story. And as you mention complete erasing of
    Mottershead's previous zoo.

11. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw a copy on line for £30 not long ago, I remember reading it from Newcastle City library in the early 1980's I loved, it, escaping animals and all especially the chimp helping to lay bricks.
    It would have been an investment, as I have never seen a copy below £30 and was once out bid at £35 on eBay years ago. I'm surprised it hasn't been reissued lately, may be Chester zoo should bring it out as a fund raiser, I wonder who holds the copyright.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2014
  12. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A nice article indeed. One thing occurs to me, however.....

At least they still let her in through that way! :p

14. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm sure they'll do the same for you when you are 88, provided that they have renamed the Jaguar Coffee House as 'Old Dave's Tea Shoppe' :D

Alan

15. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Old Dave's Tea Shoppe, I like that, i think I'll start a petition.

The only reason I can see for stopping members from using that entrance is that the zoo does not want them to come in that way, they do not pass the shop.

The alleged parking problem could have easily been dealt with with a few parking fines.

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. SHAVINGTONZOO

Not surprised really. The logistics of creating a credible Chester Zoo of the 1930s would have been very difficult. The first series could get away with two bears in a stable, a penguin pool and an aviary! :)

18. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Such a shame! I don't watch much tv at all and yet this had me hooked!

19. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My partner brought a copy of "Our Zoo" back from a trip to the UK last week.

It's brilliant! We have watched 3 episodes.

Interestingly the kids 7 + 11 are also loving it, my partner (who is English ) has suggested that it is actually a really well done period drama, with even Molly's accent spot on for the region!

20. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member